Abandoned Kitten

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy !! You kept us in anticipation with the beginning of the post !! I'm nearly cried when I read the update .. Been reading the post since the beginning and you are fantastic with words and very articulate! Many thanks for the update ! I'm actually smiling as I type :hyper:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just stumbled onto this thread and I have tears in my eyes. June Bug is simply a beautiful little girl. I am so glad you found her and brought her into your hearts. I wish for many, many happy years together for all of you. She is just precious. And Makena and Lilia are stunning. Bless you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little more backstory and a bit of somber news.

We never knew why June Bug was abandoned. Before I found June Bug, we had seen a pretty calico feral mum around a few times: we assumed that was her mum. Shortly after we found June Bug we learned that our neighbors across the street had found two more kittens hiding in the brush on their side of the road. They fed them, took them to the vet for check ups and deworming meds, fattened them up, and then gave them to a shelter. Our neighbors are cat lovers and they wanted to keep them, but they had one cat already and a 2 year old child, they simply did not have the time or space to care for two kittens.

Since we have had June Bug, we have not seen her mum. We wondered what happened to her.

Today we found the remains of June Bug's Mum. She was near the spot where I found June Bug. My wife Deb was mowing the grass along the road when she spotted June Bug's mum. Apparently, she had been hit by a car.

We buried June Bug's mum in a quiet spot in our woods. The woods are beautiful this time of year, we gathered a bundle of wildflowers and ferns and laid them where she was buried. I wish there was a way to let her know that her kittens are safe and cared for.

When I woke this morning, I found June Bug had wiggled her way under my hand and was fast asleep. With my other hand I carefully reached my cell phone off the nightstand and caught this shot...

Pics and the story of how June Bug and Makena are getting on soon. June Bug is doing great.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few weeks ago, June Bug was abandoned in some underbrush in the rain. Cold and unlikely to survive until morning, I scooped her up and brought her inside. With June Bugs unknown feral history, she has remained in the quarantine of our bathroom until she could pass her FELV/FIV tests.

Just a few weeks ago...

Deb and I have never been able to talk about what we would do if June Bug tested positive after her quarantine. We have tried, but we always ended up with no plan, just an indefinite "lets hope for the best." I sort of had a vague idea that she could move into my shop, maybe get another kitten that tested positive to keep her company. Or maybe find a shelter that takes FELV/FIV postive cats..... each scenario left me feeling ill. My wife and I have fallen in love with her.

June bug is a smart, happy, fun loving kitten that loves attention. She deserves a life of interaction with other cats and people.

60 days have passed, June Bug had her final tests for FELV/FIV this morning.

She sat calmly on her ride to the vet. Occasionally seeking my hand for reassurance.

She was well behaved as she waited for Dr Rene to see her

June Bugs tests came back negative.
She is now out of quarantine and joyously racing around the house playing with Makena.

Makena is patient and gentle with her.

Our other Bengal, Lilia, hisses and runs away from June Bug. Lilia has had some tough times in her life, so we expect her to take some time to get used to the tiny orange terror of June Bug zipping around.

We renovated our house with cats in mind: there are lots of fun cat-friendly places to discover. This small window seat in the library really caught June Bugs attention...

Deb and feel like a weight has been lifted from us. June Bug can now eat with the big cats, use the big cat litter box, and has lots of room to race around. Being out and about with people other cats is a new chapter in her kitten life. I suspect there will be much hilarity and some great pictures to capture.

June Bug has just now followed me upstairs to my small office. As I write this, she is by my feet playing with the toy mouse Dr Rene gave her. But for a touch of luck, her life could have ended on a rainy night just a few weeks ago. But for the result of a few tests, her life could have been constricted to quarantine and slated to be end in a few short years. With all this in mind, I find myself acutely aware of how much I enjoy her company.

:dance::clap: :clap2::beerchug::banana1::banana2::jive::party3::party::party2::woo: OH I am so happy that all is well for June Bug. Looking forward to following her further adventures.
For some reason I haven't been getting some of my e mail AND on site alerts!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
A little more backstory and a bit of somber news.

We never knew why June Bug was abandoned. Before I found June Bug, we had seen a pretty calico feral mum around a few times: we assumed that was her mum. Shortly after we found June Bug we learned that our neighbors across the street had found two more kittens hiding in the brush on their side of the road. They fed them, took them to the vet for check ups and deworming meds, fattened them up, and then gave them to a shelter. Our neighbors are cat lovers and they wanted to keep them, but they had one cat already and a 2 year old child, they simply did not have the time or space to care for two kittens.

Since we have had June Bug, we have not seen her mum. We wondered what happened to her.

Today we found the remains of June Bug's Mum. She was near the spot where I found June Bug. My wife Deb was mowing the grass along the road when she spotted June Bug's mum. Apparently, she had been hit by a car.

We buried June Bug's mum in a quiet spot in our woods. The woods are beautiful this time of year, we gathered a bundle of wildflowers and ferns and laid them where she was buried. I wish there was a way to let her know that her kittens are safe and cared for.

When I woke this morning, I found June Bug had wiggled her way under my hand and was fast asleep. With my other hand I carefully reached my cell phone off the nightstand and caught this shot...

Pics and the story of how June Bug and Makena are getting on soon. June Bug is doing great.
:hearthrob::redheartpump::alright::grouphug::grouphug2::rock::thanks::catrub:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad about june bugs mum cat . June bug and her siblings were not adandoned at all they simply lost their mum. Glad her siblings are ok and hopefully they find a forever home together . June Bug on the other hand has and looks so happy . I'm sure if there is a heaven or something mum cat is looking down and can see her babies are save .

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful story and photo's. Thank you for sharing your story. It brings a smile to my heart that there's people who try to offer the very best, every day, to make the world a happy place for the cats in their care. All three of your cats are beautiful and have found you through fate. Let's hope fate makes sure they become best buddies too :crossfingers:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so sad about june bugs mum cat . June bug and her siblings were not abandoned at all they simply lost their mum.....
This so true. We wondered what happened to mum, thinking she abandoned her little brood. The truth turned out to be much sadder.

Beautiful story and photo's. Thank you for sharing your story. It brings a smile to my heart that there's people who try to offer the very best, every day, to make the world a happy place for the cats in their care. All three of your cats are beautiful and have found you through fate. Let's hope fate makes sure they become best buddies too :crossfingers:
I can't help but compare what June Bug's life would have been like as a feral: searching for food, in constant danger, cold in the winter, having her own kittens and trying to take care of them. Yet I wonder about her freedom..... Having owned Makena for many years, I know how strong his drive to be outside wandering/exploring is. He is a hybrid with lots of wild in him and lives inside most of the time: the compromise he endures is apparent. June Bug appears quite delighted with her situation, though she does thoroughly enjoy her outside jaunts with us. I don't believe there is a definitive answer, I am not even sure there is a "right" or a "wrong" but I often wonder about it.

As to fate: we have never "selected" a cat. Somehow, when there was room in our home and hearts, a cat appeared.

I love June Bug and I just love the name, it's perfect for her. It could well be my favourite name on here.
My wife Deb has a way of naming things. We found June Bug in June, she was tiny..... Deb said "what about the name June Bug?" I knew the name would stick.....

Thank you for all the kind comments!

Makena LOVES "his" kitten and June Bug adores Makena.

Working on some shots of them playing together - but the action is often too fast to get much more than a spotty/gray/orange/white swirl or maybe a the tip of a tail as they race out of frame. Seeing their relationship unfold is remarkable.

June Bug plays non-stop

We sometimes just sit in the living room and watch June Bug's antics. She is entertainment on four little white paws.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yet I wonder about her freedom..... Having owned Makena for many years, I know how strong his drive to be outside wandering/exploring is. He is a hybrid with lots of wild in him and lives inside most of the time: the compromise he endures is apparent. June Bug appears quite delighted with her situation, though she does thoroughly enjoy her outside jaunts with us. I don't believe there is a definitive answer, I am not even sure there is a "right" or a "wrong" but I often wonder about it.
Freedom is something I wonder about quite often as well, and I care for a very domesticated breed, a persian. She isn't wild, nor even energetic, but I walk her daily because - as you said - cats like to do cat things. She likes to explore and smell stuff. Can't even imagine the amount of energy and drive to hunt inside a bengal! I provide as much "freedom" as I can, and sometimes wish I was comfortable with having indoor/outdoor cats. So I know exactly what you mean, and am always happy to see people walking their cats. It's the responsible compromise in this world with pet-overpopulation. :) Love what you're doing! Much love and congrats on your new family member! Maken and June Bug look so happy together.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the subject of cats needs to go nto the outside world. Cucumella came to me almost 6 years ago when she was 9 years old. Until then she had always been a "garden cat". She had her bed under cover with nice blankets and all but she had not been allowed inside the house. I have heard how she was always standing by the house front door trying to slip inside unnoticed when people went in and out of the house. In the rare occasions when she succeeded she would hide in the most incredible places so that they couldn't move her out.

I live in an apartment and when I adopted her thinking she wud need togo put I bought a harness for her but she hated it. She became so desperate trying to get it off that I never tried again. She is a happy, affectionate gentle cat very happy to live inside. If the front door ever remains open for a few moments she will only stay out for a few seconds in the vestibule ignoring the wide marble stairs and its wide windows and walks right back. Someone who knows her from the time she was a garden cat likes to say "she must have thought she had died and woke up in paradise." It may have something to do with her age, she will be 15 years old in november but, there is no question that she is not at all attracted by the outside world.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
This so true. We wondered what happened to mum, thinking she abandoned her little brood. The truth turned out to be much sadder.

I can't help but compare what June Bug's life would have been like as a feral: searching for food, in constant danger, cold in the winter, having her own kittens and trying to take care of them. Yet I wonder about her freedom..... Having owned Makena for many years, I know how strong his drive to be outside wandering/exploring is. He is a hybrid with lots of wild in him and lives inside most of the time: the compromise he endures is apparent. June Bug appears quite delighted with her situation, though she does thoroughly enjoy her outside jaunts with us. I don't believe there is a definitive answer, I am not even sure there is a "right" or a "wrong" but I often wonder about it.

As to fate: we have never "selected" a cat. Somehow, when there was room in our home and hearts, a cat appeared.

My wife Deb has a way of naming things. We found June Bug in June, she was tiny..... Deb said "what about the name June Bug?" I knew the name would stick.....

Thank you for all the kind comments!

Makena LOVES "his" kitten and June Bug adores Makena.

Working on some shots of them playing together - but the action is often too fast to get much more than a spotty/gray/orange/white swirl or maybe a the tip of a tail as they race out of frame. Seeing their relationship unfold is remarkable.

June Bug plays non-stop

We sometimes just sit in the living room and watch June Bug's antics. She is entertainment on four little white paws.

She looks so grownup in the photo with the blue ball and the mouse, but all kitten again in the next one :lol::lol2:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freedom is something I wonder about quite often as well.......
On the subject of cats needs to go into the outside world.....
I suppose cats are all very different. While Makena craves the outdoors, Lilia wants only to be inside, I suspect that she was never outside at all and is simply overwhelmed by it. Also, Makena has certainly changed over time, while he still needs to get out, the need is not as urgent. And 'not as urgent' is a good thing, when he was younger he would drag me out in freezing cold and pouring rain. Now he is content to wait for better weather.

Awesome photo! I always wonder what is going in in those little kitten imaginations when they play!
So cute
Maybe when we see this:

She is thinking this :lol::

She looks so grownup in the photo with the blue ball and the mouse, but all kitten again in the next one :lol::lol2:
Thanks for pointing that out :lol: - too funny! But accurate as well - she is somewhere between a kitten and a grownup cat, so I guess she can look like either one.

June Bug and Makena.......

First a bit more background on Makena...

When people see Makena, they see a beautiful wild looking spotted cat. My wife and I know a very different Makena. He was rehomed several times before he got to us and he was angry. While he never bit or scratched either of us, he growled at us, hissed, and took offensive postures toward us. Makena is solid muscle. I have had cats all my life and I have never dealt with one so and strong and fast. Strength, speed and anger: Makena was a handful.

It took a lot of love and all the patience we had to bring him around. We don't walk Makena because its fun, we walk him because he requires walks as part of the compromise of being indoors. We now share a very strong bond. When walking in a park, Makena always places himself between any unruly dog and my wife. He used to beg for us to turn him loose on any dog or cat he saw, now he has learned to sniff noses and be polite. He watches our property carefully and lets us know of any visitor. While not cuddly during the day, he will snuggle at night, allowing my wife to hug him like a teddy bear.

A few years ago I was walking Makena in some tall grass. His retractable lead is 26 feet long and he was about 10 feet ahead of me and not visible in the grass. Suddenly, before I could stop him, he raced ahead. I heard a growl and an ungodly scream. Makena had caught and killed a groundhog (about 25 pounds!) I don't know if it was instinct or if he was protecting me. Makena was very excited and wanted to rub his face on me, which would normally be fine... but his whole head was covered in groundhog blood. Makena was so proud! It was too late to correct him, so I praised him while vowing to keep a closer eye on him until he was trained to leave bigger animals alone (he now avoids large animals.) Owning Makena is sometimes complicated.

Makena is our friend and companion. He is a family member. Makena's boldness has allowed us to share a great many adventures together.

We always keep in mind, and we always respect, that Makena is very "wild" cat. While he is well behaved and listens, we always have to keep his needs in mind.

Introducing our other Bengal Lilia took several months. Makena was a model of patience with her and they eventually started playing together. To Makena's disappointment, they never really become close. Lilia is too scarred by the loss of her former owner and from living a very sheltered life.

With all the above in mind, introducing another cat into the house is something we take seriously. Partly out of respect for Makena and his needs, partly because he is a bit of a commitment and partly for the happiness and well-being of the new cat. Makena would never harm another cat in the house, but he might intimidate and chase....

We need not have worried.

I said at the very beginning of the thread that I had been wanting a kitten for a long time. Apparently, Makena wanted a kitten too.....

Once June Bug was free of quarantine, we gave Makena the "okay!" to play with her. There has been little peace in our house since.....

June Bug tackles...

Makena allows her to "knock him over"

and then they roll like wrestlers

Always careful to never hurt his tiny attacker

even when June Bug kicks him in the face

June Bug idolizes Makena - and follows him constantly

Makena always makes room for her at feeding time..

Makena never gets a moments rest without her

June Bug constantly attacks/plays with/chews on Makena's tail...

A video of Makena finally getting annoyed...........

Makena often grooms June Bug, much to her dismay.

Makena holds a wiggling June Bug as he cleans her face and ears...

Through all of this, Lilia keeps her distance from June Bug. Lilia watches them play, but is too afraid to join in. June Bug tries to get Lilia to play, but she hisses and runs away. We expect it will take several months for Lilia to adapt.

More soon...

June Bug following me on a trail this morning

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hit and run... This is exactly why my guys aren't allowed out without me holding the leash. That and the nasty wildlife around here.

A fox or raccoon got into our neighbours hen house and tore apart one of the hens. It was like a war field in there.

We also have coyotes and wolves but they tend to stay in the forest for the most part.