Abandoned Kitten

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a good feeling that the 3 will be very close one day and soon. You think about it, there is a reason your male cat led you to find June bug in the brush in your back yard. Your story is much fun for us out here! As with anything else, time will tell.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Loving this well-told story & the pictures. How fortunate for June Bug that you found her and that she's orange; if she had been brown or black, I'm guessing you wouldn't have seen all those ticks.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still can't believe you found her ! How did you hear her cries from your house ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still can't believe you found her ! How did you hear her cries from your house ?
It was late and it was quiet. June Bug was only three or four hundred feet away and she was yelling pretty loud - trying to call her mom no doubt : (

This is the last installment. A couple of pics of June Bugs big adventures in the woods....

As I said before - we hate keeping the little girl confined in the bathroom. Kittens need to develop "cat" skills and social skills. So in addition to playing with her in the bathroom, we are getting her out daily to see and do fun and challenging things.

One thing that Makena has taught me: what cats want most of all is simply to be cats. Cats want to do cat things like climbing, hunting, exploring and playing.

So I took June bug to play in the woods: work on her climbing, chase a few bugs, practice jumping ... and to safely explore the wonderful world....

June B carefully explored, wandering only 5 to 10 feet away before heading back to me

I am a bit humbled that she feels safe to play and explore when I am around

She is growing so fast! Last week she could barely jump 4 inches!

And today she could jump a foot and a half and stick her landings like a big cat!

I thought a bit today about all that is wrong in the world. But also I thought how nice it was to be able to make the world right for one very small cat.

By the time she swatted her paw, the bug was long gone. Still big fun to try hunting!

This didn't work out quite as planned.....back foot got hung up. But the leaves provided a soft place to tumble into. Another lesson learned.

June Bug found a small tunnel to scramble through. It was only a foot or so and she could see daylight on the other side.... but this was really fun!

As I clicked away with my Nikon, trying to catch the essence of June Bugs day, I considered the nature of kittens. I realized that kittens are the very embodiment of ethereal; delicate, perfect and impermanent in nature as they soon grow to be cats.

I don't know how long we stayed out. Eventually an exhausted June Bug came over to me and sat looking up at me with sleep in her eyes.

I carried her back home, filled her little dishes with water and food, and settled June Bug into her basket.

Thank you for all the kind comments and good wishes.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love her long little guard hairs standing out all over. Beautiful photos!

Marasita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dried the little kitten off, and it began to calm down a little. Still, the razor teeth and needle claws were at the ready. I carried kitten upstairs to my sleeping wife, gently waking her I said "looks like we have a guest."

As my wife cradled her and talked to her, the kitten lost interest in lashing out. As kitten warmed up and got cuddled, I found a 10ml syringe with a long plastic tip in my workshop. Kitten quickly drank 10ml of milk, then with a little coaxing, drank more out of a small dish. I know milk isn't the best for kittens, but dehydration was the immediate concern.

After the milk - kitten decided we were not so bad and all pretense of a fight was gone. Kitten cooperated as we checked her over. Around her eyes we noticed black spots and to our dismay, we discovered they were tiny ticks. With a magnifying glass and a tweezer - I pulled 15 ticks off.

We gave kitten a little more milk and by time kitten finished the milk, kitten could not keep its eyes open. We opted to quarantine kitten in our bathroom until certain it had no disease. We fashioned a sleep basket out of cut up box and a small towel, then made a small litter box.

In the back corner of the empty bathroom closet, kitten curled up in the basket to sleep

My wife and I looked at each other with a "did we just get a third cat?" look and decided to talk about plans for the kitten the next day.

The next morning I made an afternoon appt with our vet and the went out to get some kitten milk... The kitten milk was a BIG hit!

Kitten got a clean bill of health, but it was recommended that we keep quarantine for 60 days and recheck. And with the vet's confirmation, "it" became "she." We left the office with a bag of kitten food, deworming meds, a small blue crinkle ball, a tiny felt mouse and a squirmy little girl kitten.

We had everything we needed..... except for a name and a decision on what to do with her.

The next day she was recovered from being left out. She was loving, playful, happy and sweet..

Provided that our Bengal Makena would tolerate her, we decided to give her a home.

Her name is June Bug

I think she is a little doll.

My wife is infatuated with her...

It seems wrong to us to shut away a kitten for 60 days, but we won't risk infecting our other cats. So we are working on a plan to get her out and make sure she develops normally...

More tomorrow....
Little

Marasita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dried the little kitten off, and it began to calm down a little. Still, the razor teeth and needle claws were at the ready. I carried kitten upstairs to my sleeping wife, gently waking her I said "looks like we have a guest."

As my wife cradled her and talked to her, the kitten lost interest in lashing out. As kitten warmed up and got cuddled, I found a 10ml syringe with a long plastic tip in my workshop. Kitten quickly drank 10ml of milk, then with a little coaxing, drank more out of a small dish. I know milk isn't the best for kittens, but dehydration was the immediate concern.

After the milk - kitten decided we were not so bad and all pretense of a fight was gone. Kitten cooperated as we checked her over. Around her eyes we noticed black spots and to our dismay, we discovered they were tiny ticks. With a magnifying glass and a tweezer - I pulled 15 ticks off.

We gave kitten a little more milk and by time kitten finished the milk, kitten could not keep its eyes open. We opted to quarantine kitten in our bathroom until certain it had no disease. We fashioned a sleep basket out of cut up box and a small towel, then made a small litter box.

In the back corner of the empty bathroom closet, kitten curled up in the basket to sleep

My wife and I looked at each other with a "did we just get a third cat?" look and decided to talk about plans for the kitten the next day.

The next morning I made an afternoon appt with our vet and the went out to get some kitten milk... The kitten milk was a BIG hit!

Kitten got a clean bill of health, but it was recommended that we keep quarantine for 60 days and recheck. And with the vet's confirmation, "it" became "she." We left the office with a bag of kitten food, deworming meds, a small blue crinkle ball, a tiny felt mouse and a squirmy little girl kitten.

We had everything we needed..... except for a name and a decision on what to do with her.

The next day she was recovered from being left out. She was loving, playful, happy and sweet..

Provided that our Bengal Makena would tolerate her, we decided to give her a home.

Her name is June Bug

I think she is a little doll.

My wife is infatuated with her...

It seems wrong to us to shut away a kitten for 60 days, but we won't risk infecting our other cats. So we are working on a plan to get her out and make sure she develops normally...

More tomorrow....

Marasita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little June Bug is precious !!
I'm a brand new member, and am already loving your story.
Question : My story is somewhat similar, except the arrival of my little guy. I've been feeding an adult cat that someone abandoned a couple of years ago. She comes in from time to time, but wants back outside. She seems to be the hero of our neighborhood, as she has a following, literally, of semi feral cats of varying ages. On Mother's Day, the moment I stepped outside she deposited a 4 week old kitten on my foot. Why would she do this ???
It's not likely hers, as I believe she's been fixed. I can't make sense of her behavior. Any ideas ??
Oh, Walter John is very healthy and just turned 8 weeks old.
IMG_20170612_125304-1.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Little June Bug is precious !!
I'm a brand new member, and am already loving your story.
Question : My story is somewhat similar, except the arrival of my little guy. I've been feeding an adult cat that someone abandoned a couple of years ago. She comes in from time to time, but wants back outside. She seems to be the hero of our neighborhood, as she has a following, literally, of semi feral cats of varying ages. On Mother's Day, the moment I stepped outside she deposited a 4 week old kitten on my foot. Why would she do this ???
It's not likely hers, as I believe she's been fixed. I can't make sense of her behavior. Any ideas ??
Oh, Walter John is very healthy and just turned 8 weeks old.
View attachment 184315

:wave3: Hi, welcome to TCS. She knew he needed you and that you would keep him safe :hearthrob::redheartpump: He's so cute! :catrub: Make sure to create some albums on your home page and post lots of pictures for us :wave2:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
June Bug would like to think so! I would say fearless as long as my wife or I are within ten feet, before she did anything scary, June Bug would look to make sure I was nearby :lol:
"This is the last installment." :bawling2::sniffle: :(
:wave2:Oh we shall miss your wonderful tale, please make sure to post some of your lovely photos of the three of your furbabies after Junebug gets out of isolation. :camera:
Thank you so much for sharing with us.:kiss:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
"This is the last installment." :bawling2::sniffle: :(
:wave2:Oh we shall miss your wonderful tale, please make sure to post some of your lovely photos of the three of your furbabies after Junebug gets out of isolation. :camera:
Thank you so much for sharing with us.:kiss:

I'll miss this thread too. Please do post more pictures of June Bug, I'd love to be able to see her grow up. :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will certainly post more pics in another thread as June Bug get bigger. She is fun to photograph - nearly everything she does looks cute.

You have a knack for photography. You ever considered going professional?
My brother is a pro photog; he has been a resource and has helped me learn the mechanics of photography. I just enjoy trying to capture images that reflect the spirit of things that interest me.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The photos are fantastic !!! Right down at kitten level... and the two jumping pics ! Just like a micro horsie...
Keep us up to date, it's the little unexpected things in life,
That make our lives fun, and worth living.
This is Stormy, my little surprise last July !