Abandoned Kitten

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her ! Glad the operation went ok . When grace was spayed we dropped her off at 8:30 and the vets called us around 2pm the same day to pick her up. That was just 5 hours and had only had her 4 months but it was really quiet and house seemed empty ! Nothing like having a cat follow you from room to room with a tail up high ! Thank you dot update. Would love to know what makena is like when His kitten returns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless her ! Glad the operation went ok . When grace was spayed we dropped her off at 8:30 and the vets called us around 2pm the same day to pick her up. That was just 5 hours and had only had her 4 months but it was really quiet and house seemed empty ! Nothing like having a cat follow you from room to room with a tail up high ! Thank you dot update. Would love to know what makena is like when His kitten returns
I guess our house was always quiet before June Bug came along. I did miss having her follow me around!

.....Post us a pic when she gets home.:camera:
When they brought her out to me, she was growling and meowing. As soon as she saw me, she started whining and crying. She clung to my shoulder and hid her face in my neck. She was trembling all over. Broke my heart. I love this vet office because they really treat cats well, but still, the whole experience was overwhelming for June Bug.

June Bug was delighted to get out of the office. I normally have cats sit in the passenger seat, but that was not happening, she wanted to be on my lap. She cuddled up quietly for the ride home and was overjoyed when she saw our house.

June Bug was a little sore, so she walked carefully. She went right to her litter box, then had a few bites of food. Makena wanted to see her, but I asked him to leave her alone until she got settled (it always amazes me how well he listens!) He stayed nearby and watched her very carefully.

She then headed for the couch but was too tired or too sore climb up. I gently helped her get on the couch and she curled up and started to relax and purr. Makena hopped up to see her.

Makena checked her over very carefully, cleaned her face and ears, then left her to rest. He sat in the chair a few feet away to watch over her. I petted and talked to June Bug for a few minutes. She fell sound asleep.

I don't think she slept at all while she was away. She has been mostly sleeping, getting up only once to have another bite of food and use her box. This evening she slowly and carefully climbed up the stairs to be with us for bedtime. She curled up in bed with Deb (my wife) for a little while, then stretched out on the carpet and fell asleep. She seems happy, just very exhausted.

We left the wood stove run a bit hotter tonight, so the house is very toasty warm. June Bug has always seemed to get cold easily, I don't want her to wake up because she is chilly. Makena has unobtrusively remained a few feet away from her the whole time.

We will see how she is tomorrow once she is caught up on her rest.

It is nice to have June Bug back home.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess our house was always quiet before June Bug came along. I did miss having her follow me around!

When they brought her out to me, she was growling and meowing. As soon as she saw me, she started whining and crying. She clung to my shoulder and hid her face in my neck. She was trembling all over. Broke my heart. I love this vet office because they really treat cats well, but still, the whole experience was overwhelming for June Bug.

June Bug was delighted to get out of the office. I normally have cats sit in the passenger seat, but that was not happening, she wanted to be on my lap. She cuddled up quietly for the ride home and was overjoyed when she saw our house.

June Bug was a little sore, so she walked carefully. She went right to her litter box, then had a few bites of food. Makena wanted to see her, but I asked him to leave her alone until she got settled (it always amazes me how well he listens!) He stayed nearby and watched her very carefully.

She then headed for the couch but was too tired or too sore climb up. I gently helped her get on the couch and she curled up and started to relax and purr. Makena hopped up to see her.

Makena checked her over very carefully, cleaned her face and ears, then left her to rest. He sat in the chair a few feet away to watch over her. I petted and talked to June Bug for a few minutes. She fell sound asleep.

I don't think she slept at all while she was away. She has been mostly sleeping, getting up only once to have another bite of food and use her box. This evening she slowly and carefully climbed up the stairs to be with us for bedtime. She curled up in bed with Deb (my wife) for a little while, then stretched out on the carpet and fell asleep. She seems happy, just very exhausted.

We left the wood stove run a bit hotter tonight, so the house is very toasty warm. June Bug has always seemed to get cold easily, I don't want her to wake up because she is chilly. Makena has unobtrusively remained a few feet away from her the whole time.

We will see how she is tomorrow once she is caught up on her rest.

It is nice to have June Bug back home.
:hearthrob::redheartpump: :goldstar::lovecat3::zzzcat::sleepycat::lovecat::catrub::petcat::bouquet:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful, fun pictures of little June Bug and Makena and a joyus story to go with it!! Did you not post at one point that you were composing a story about your cats and their, (particularly June Bug's) antics? You are very articulate and such an eloquent photographer, seems to me you could write a lovely children's book, using your own pictures of her and the other cats which would no doubt be a BEST SELLER!:). If I am mistaken, in my opinion, you really should consider doing this. ;) You have a gift, talent.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is little June Bug doing these days? Back to her old self?
June Bug got her stitches out yesterday and Dr Rene cleared her for jumping and racing full speed. We had been playing with her very gently so she wouldn't stress or stretch the surgical site. As she fully recovered over the past few days, June Bug was a bit puzzled why we would not play rough with her. But, yes, as of today she is back to back to herself: jumping after her toys, getting all excited and racing full speed.

Playing with her this afternoon...

She is crazy over the new toy I made for her. She loves the smell of the olive wood bead.

Looking at the last pic I note what a big girl she has become! Funny too how over the past few months she became so woven into our lives that we sincerely missed her when she was gone for two nights at the Veterinarian.

As she has grown, Deb and I have begun to reflect on the differences between June Bug and the Bengals. Lilia is a cat who will never really recover from the hurts of her past. At the same time Lilia is a Bengal, she needs lots of attention and interaction to be content. Makena has a lot of wildcat in him. He needs daily walks, focused play time, and tons of attention and training. We have to warn visitors to not use their hands or fingers when trying to engage him in play. Makena is a difficult cat to own. Both Bengals are a bit of work.

June Bug is a normal sort of cat. Happy to play with us each chance she gets, but not relying on play sessions for her well being. If there is a knock at the door late at night, June Bug goes into another room and then peaks around the corner to see who it is. Makena walks to the door, ready to attack if needed. A loud sound startles June Bug, while Makena will turn and hiss at whatever made the noise.

While both Makena and Lilia maintain a serious affect (owing this to their breed and their backgrounds,) June Bug offers a fun-loving, happy-go-lucky attitude. June Bug's countenance seems all the more sunny in the company of the other two, more serious cats.

I suppose the above is all a very cerebral way of saying we LOVE having June Bug in our home!

Beautiful, fun pictures of little June Bug and Makena and a joyus story to go with it!! Did you not post at one point that you were composing a story about your cats and their, (particularly June Bug's) antics? You are very articulate and such an eloquent photographer, seems to me you could write a lovely children's book, using your own pictures of her and the other cats which would no doubt be a BEST SELLER!:). If I am mistaken, in my opinion, you really should consider doing this. ;) You have a gift, talent.
Thank you.
While I have background in technical writing and some published papers (about as dry and boring as you could imagine,) I have only ever written fiction casually and for fun (a short story I did for a contest here a few years ago)

However - this is the fourth or fifth time someone online has mentioned I should write a children's book about cats: now I am curious. I don't have children, just nieces and nephews: LOL, I don't feel like I know much about children! But I do think it would be fun to write a child's book. These days there are many easy ways to self publish and I have a cat products business that I could sell and promote through. But for the life of me I can't figure out what people keep seeing in my forum writing that makes them think I could do a child's book? Curious for any insights!

And I have to add this cell phone pic of June Bug I just took as I am sitting here writing this...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
June Bug has certainly grown from sweet little well-cared-for kitten into a beautiful "young lady" cat. I've enjoyed reading about her and the two Bengals and looking at your beautiful photographs.

The combination of your writing and photographic skills, plus clear love of cats, could certainly make a marketable children's book. You don't have to know much about children; it's the parents who buy the books. ;) There's a natural market for parents who own and love cats as well as their kids.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I mentioned you have a knack at writing is because you are so articulate in the way you express yourself in what is going on in the pictures of your cats. You paint us a story. You are so in tune to your cats' expressions, actions, the way you express what is going on in the photographs expresse what that cat is actually thinking. All I am saying is that you have an expressive talent with your photography and captions that if the mood to take your talent ever were to move you to take it to another level, we all know your endeavor would be a success!! I don't know, something to think about. I can most certainly say that I do not have what you have. ;) Just saying ......

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we never really grow up and have that inner child so not having children does not matter . You can start and finish a story perfectly - I reminded myself by reading your first post in the thread . You describe things perfectly and capture imagination . A good writer can draw you in so you picture it in your mind which I do when you describe june bug and what she is doing . You could always write from her point of view too - from the moment she was lost her mum and siblings; she waited however they never come home but then you came to her at night when she cried ...I’ll read the article you attached :hyper:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
June Bug got her stitches out yesterday and Dr Rene cleared her for jumping and racing full speed. We had been playing with her very gently so she wouldn't stress or stretch the surgical site. As she fully recovered over the past few days, June Bug was a bit puzzled why we would not play rough with her. But, yes, as of today she is back to back to herself: jumping after her toys, getting all excited and racing full speed.

Playing with her this afternoon...

She is crazy over the new toy I made for her. She loves the smell of the olive wood bead.

Looking at the last pic I note what a big girl she has become! Funny too how over the past few months she became so woven into our lives that we sincerely missed her when she was gone for two nights at the Veterinarian.

As she has grown, Deb and I have begun to reflect on the differences between June Bug and the Bengals. Lilia is a cat who will never really recover from the hurts of her past. At the same time Lilia is a Bengal, she needs lots of attention and interaction to be content. Makena has a lot of wildcat in him. He needs daily walks, focused play time, and tons of attention and training. We have to warn visitors to not use their hands or fingers when trying to engage him in play. Makena is a difficult cat to own. Both Bengals are a bit of work.

June Bug is a normal sort of cat. Happy to play with us each chance she gets, but not relying on play sessions for her well being. If there is a knock at the door late at night, June Bug goes into another room and then peaks around the corner to see who it is. Makena walks to the door, ready to attack if needed. A loud sound startles June Bug, while Makena will turn and hiss at whatever made the noise.

While both Makena and Lilia maintain a serious affect (owing this to their breed and their backgrounds,) June Bug offers a fun-loving, happy-go-lucky attitude. June Bug's countenance seems all the more sunny in the company of the other two, more serious cats.

I suppose the above is all a very cerebral way of saying we LOVE having June Bug in our home!

Thank you.
While I have background in technical writing and some published papers (about as dry and boring as you could imagine,) I have only ever written fiction casually and for fun (a short story I did for a contest here a few years ago)

However - this is the fourth or fifth time someone online has mentioned I should write a children's book about cats: now I am curious. I don't have children, just nieces and nephews: LOL, I don't feel like I know much about children! But I do think it would be fun to write a child's book. These days there are many easy ways to self publish and I have a cat products business that I could sell and promote through. But for the life of me I can't figure out what people keep seeing in my forum writing that makes them think I could do a child's book? Curious for any insights!

And I have to add this cell phone pic of June Bug I just took as I am sitting here writing this...

Your photos tell a story. She looks so fierce when shes playing, so grownup and so sweet and loving.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the insights and encouragement.

Deb and I took holiday today and visited one of my favorite places: Farleys Bookshop in New Hope PA. Its in an old building: the bookshop wanders from room to room, with creaky old floors and soft music playing. And aside from a large and eclectic selection of books, they have cats wandering around the store. Piles of books, cats here and there: I could live in this place. The reason I bring this up is I knew they keep a large and diverse section of children's books....

So I spent a good bit of time looking and brought a few home. After looking through the books and reading everyone's comments, I see the connection :)

I am getting a new system to better support some graphic work for my business, it would certainly make it easy to design, modify and create images for a book as well......

.............You don't have to know much about children; it's the parents who buy the books. ;) ......
That struck home: I own several children's books that I bought some time ago as an adult. "Polkabats and Octopuss Slacks" and "Where the Wild Things Are" are two in particular that I really enjoyed: unbridled creativity and sentinel works of art in their own right.

Lots to think about, but leaning towards giving this a try. Won't happen quickly - I have projects ahead of this to complete and more research to do. Thanks again for taking time to offer insights!

Getting the thread back on track.....

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, one of our bedrooms has a window next to the bed and at the same height as the bed. We did this intentionally for Makena. We keep the window open a bit for him all year so he can keep and eye on things. We heat with a wood stove, so in winter we need a window open to keep from overheating anyway.

So of course June Bug has picked up the habit of her best friend mentor and hero..

They usually get cold and then come over and snuggle with me. But this morning there were squirrels in the tree and June Bug and Makena couldn't look away. They sat side by side, shivering, but refusing to move.

So I put the duvet over the two of them and they sat warm and content for an hour and a half, watching squirrels as the sun came up.

Yeah, our cats are spoiled!

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
June Bug's first snow!

First snow of the year; time for June Bug to see something new.....

June Bug was not afraid, but she was cautious. She found out quickly how slippery the white stuff is

Our woods, so familiar to her, had become very different with snow all about. There was a lot to investigate.

We let June Bug lead the way as she explored the strange new white world

Seeing the wonder and surprise in June Bug's eyes made us appreciate the beauty of snow all the more

The sun was getting lower and there was a chill finding its way into the shadows

June Bug's tummy fur is still growing back after her surgery, I suspect that is where she was feeling the cold

June Bug started shivering so I scooped her up into my jacket and took her home. June Bug sat by the wood stove warming up while Makena sniffed her over.