Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
Share A Funny Cat Story To Win Gwen Cooper's Book! Click here for details

Abandoned Cats Taken In One Appears Imminently About To Have Kittens - All Advice Greatly Appreciate

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by SpinkyDinkyDoo, Nov 13, 2018.

1. SpinkyDinkyDoo

SpinkyDinkyDoo Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    Thanks Talking Peanut.... minimum gain last night was 8 Grams... I’m praying they all carry on gaining... below 8 grams would you supplement straight away? x x x

2. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    Thanks for that Ans....

I put a sign on the lounge door on Sunday evening when I thought the kits were imminent saying “Kittens in progress - anyone messing around will be removed” lol. To be fair to them all they have been extremely good. They each saw a kitten or two being born and sat quiet as mice. The complete awe and wonder in their eyes was amazing to see.... They didn’t even flinch when she was scoffing the placenta (although I did warn them about this and had everyone watch a couple of cats giving birth on you tube) but seeing it in real life is a completely different experience, especially when it’s their much loved Tigs. Evie (who I’m certain is a cat in human form and is Tigs favourite human) was stroking tigs saying “it’s okay tigs - you’re doing so well - that’s it tigs lick her face - lick her belly - well done” I was completely overcome with emotion with a big smile on my face, silent happy tears in my eyes.

Tigs appetite has picked up thank goodness.
    She still keeps coming out for little rests, fuss and snuggles.... x. X x x

ans5181, DreamerRose and m3rma1d purraised this.

3. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    Hi all....

I noticed today that one of the babies has one eye open and the other a tiny bit open... I was expecting this until around 7 to 10 days ish...

Has anyone else experienced eyes opening this early?

I’m a bit worried about it as when they are scrapping for milk there’s a lot of feisty pawing at each other and she might get her eye scratched. I also wondered if that’s how it’s opened? By being pawed at? x x x

ans5181 purraised this.

4. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    AC7BB37C-C5F5-4BDC-8F2C-F72395BB8622.jpeg BC8B20B1-E46C-4259-AABD-5E3B54976F97.jpeg 153A0037-D571-4A0F-A79C-48B1093C7027.jpeg B1B0A906-1470-434F-BFC0-DE8A3212ADD0.jpeg B2008565-B1A3-4025-9BD2-8BBA427B0F05.jpeg E2595A43-BDDB-484F-B5BD-318439EED786.jpeg 7535157F-60F3-4F92-803F-BEA71CE6DD3D.jpeg DFDC5235-B8AE-4377-B152-A54357F4ACD8.jpeg 54C6295F-B081-432D-9D45-82D1E1CEFB82.jpeg

war&wisdom, ans5181, Kflowers and 1 other person purraised this.

5. ans5181

ans5181 TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 22, 2018
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Aren't animals a wonderful way for children to learn about life and love and teaching care of someone? Yours sound super sweet :)
    Thanks for all the pictures, I still can't get over how many there are! And I'm not sure about the eye thing, does it look painful? I would keep an eye on it (pun intended) and maybe call a NEW vet and ask if you should be concerned about this. That's the best I got!!

SpinkyDinkyDoo purraised this.

6. ans5181

Oct 22, 2018
    Tallahassee, Florida
    And I love the picture with Tigs, I get a very "Behold, human, look what I have created!" vibe from it. Very Regal Cat lol

SpinkyDinkyDoo purraised this.

7. talkingpeanut

talkingpeanut TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 12, 2015
    I would supplement if they gain less than 6g for two days in a row.

They are super cute!

Kflowers and SpinkyDinkyDoo purraised this.

8. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    Thanks Talking Peanut... last nights weigh in was between 15 and 22 grams!!! Little chubs... x x x

talkingpeanut purraised this.

9. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    Loling Ans.... That’s so funny.... x x x

10. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    We haven’t got over there are 7 either! Last nights gains were between 15 and 22 grams! Tigs is doing an amazing job of growing her babies.... I am worrying constantly about them.
    We have started a bit of handling the kittens... just sat right in front of Tigs - she is fine about it unless they are particularly meowy and then she meows for them back. Christmas is going to be crazy with these 7 kittens tootling around...
    The eye doesn’t look sore at all but I’ll give a different vet a call when I get back from the school run...
    x x x x

Kflowers purraised this.

11. Lots of spots

Lots of spots TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 18, 2018
    Dallas TX
    They are doing ok. The smaller of the two (who I am calling snickerS) is pretty small and doesn't gain much weight so I am still worried about him. The bigger one (I call him big boy) is growing like crazy. He gains over 20g a day while Snickers gains around 8-12 a day. Sometimes even only 5g. :-(. I hope he is just a runt and will be small ratgra than him being sickly and maybe die.

How is your army of kittens doing?

m3rma1d, ans5181 and SpinkyDinkyDoo purraised this.

12. SpinkyDinkyDoo

Nov 13, 2018
    Nottinghamshire - UK
    Hi @Lots of spots almost all of the babies have doubled their birthweight.... I think we have five boys and two girls. Tigs is being a great mama, she’s really laid back but yet really attentive.... She pops out of the box every so often for a lay on the cool floor as I think those seven little babies make her a bit too toasty....The kits were so sleepy at weigh in last night we had them fast asleep on their backs in the palm of our hands.... awwww their cute little tummy’s are just adorable.
    The baby who had one eye open now has both open and a couple of others are starting to open now too....
    We have had a couple of low gains one was 7g and the other 8g but the next weigh in they put 15g and 22g so I’m not worried at this point (although I do worry about them constantly) I have no idea how tigs is managing to grow all seven of them so well but I know it’s still early days... You can hardly see Tigs any more when they are fighting for the milk bar! We love them all so much I have no idea how we are going to re home any of them! Are you planning to re home your two babies? xxx
    Talking Peanut told me to supplement if they only gain 6g two days in a row.
    Is there a big difference in weight between Snickers and Big boy? I’d love to see what they look like now.... x x x

m3rma1d and ans5181 purraised this.

13. Lots of spots

Lots of spots TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 18, 2018
    Dallas TX
    Glad to hear they are all doing wonderful! Big boy is Michael larger than sniSnick. By a little over 100g. I added a few pictures of them along with one of mama Mia and Diego hanging out in their new cat tree.

Attached Files:

ans5181 purraised this.

14. ans5181

Oct 22, 2018
    Tallahassee, Florida
    How are Tigs and the Tribe doing??

Lots of spots and m3rma1d purraised this.

15. m3rma1d

m3rma1d NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Alpha Cat

Oct 12, 2018
    Maine
    Yeah I think we need new pics.

Lots of spots purraised this.