Abandoned Cats Taken In One Appears Imminently About To Have Kittens - All Advice Greatly Appreciate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure that American Tallulah would be honored (I mean honoured) to have a namesake across the big drink named Tallulah whose meow has a British accent!!! :clap:

I asked her opinion, and showed her some British memorabilia to illustrate my point.. She responded by giving Hyacinth head bonks. :hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:

View attachment 264455
Your post made me laugh so much... British accent meow and Keeping up appearances memorabilia-
I used to watch that every week with my family when I was really quite young . It’s an absolute classic! I still watch clips of it on you tube and it is still really funny. You definitely don’t look old enough to have watched it when I did though, lol....
Have you watched it all?
x x x

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Your post made me laugh so much... British accent meow and Keeping up appearances memorabilia-
I used to watch that every week with my family when I was really quite young . It’s an absolute classic! I still watch clips of it on you tube and it is still really funny. You definitely don’t look old enough to have watched it when I did though, lol....
Have you watched it all?
x x x
Haha!!!
I started watching it in the mid-90s as a teen. I love you for thinking I wasn't old enough though! Let's skip doing the actual math. :p xx

"No, you cannot have three of 22 and a portion of 19 with chips. This is not the Chinese take-away. This is a private, slimline, pearl-white telephone with no Oriental associations whatsoever!!"

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tigs has been unsettled all night.... meowzing and pacing....
She has done a bit of open mouthed panting this morning.
she’s pulled a load of books out from under the tv unit...
She’s being super vocal and is wanting to be on my daughter - Evie all the time...
Her nipples are puffed up around the actual nipples - Is that her milk come in???
Her belly has definitely dropped as there is a more defined space between her spine and bump...If that makes sense...
Do you think the babies are coming???
Break out your latex gloves, won't be long now! Lol

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get how changes make you nervous, plus you've got a pregnant lady in the house who can't talk! Lol...if you are worried, I don't see any harm in paying the exam fee to have her looked at and get some peace of mind. And I wouldn't worry too much about traumatizing her; she may not love it but she will be fine in my opinion. I don't think you're overreacting, I would want to know that everything is ok too!!
Hi ans, I called the vet yesterday and he basically told me to chill out and all would be well..... And would you know it we are fairly positive Tigs is in early labour now... I’ve been laid on the floor with her for ages whilst she head nuzzles me whilst meowzing at me for kisses and strokes.... Fairly sure I’ve felt her tummy contracting once... she rolled into her back and let me slowly and gently rub her belly which she doesn’t normally let me do.... eeeek it’s exciting..... I’m also really quite nervous but trying to keep my cool.... x x x

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the average length of labour any of you have experienced from start to finish... so like from the early signs we are seeing now to first born baby? x x x She’s also purring an awful lot and is wanting to get on everyone to be fussed and knead her paws on... x

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I didn't see any early signs because she must have been in early labor overnight. I walked into the bathroom in the morning about 730am to a newly cleaned kitten that she was fussing over! I could see contractions, her whole lower body was contracting the same way as when she takes a poo. There was just a little over an hour between the first and second babies. In between babies her contractions would stop altogether and it was almost like she wasn't in labor at all. She would rest and nurse her baby and go to her sister to get fussed over. I thought she might need some extra fuel so I gave her a can of food and she gobbled up the whole thing! She started having contractions again and she was running around a bit because you know, pushing a baby out of your vagina hurts, and she howled and growled and then there was another little one! She ate the afterbirth and cleaned him and nursed them and wanted to be loved on and then.....nothing. No contractions, like everything stopped. But I was certain there were still more in there. About six hours later, still nothing, I was starting to wonder if she was going to need a vet, and right about the time I was on the phone with someone about her, I went into the bathroom again to check on her, and another kitten came!! She did everything herself, I was just a spectator. She would eat the afterbirth, chew off the umbilical cord, clean up the baby and then nurse. I put food and water right next to her. And she did the rest! And most likely Tigs will too...so moral of the story here is that it can take quite a lot of time, I've heard of litters being born over the course of several days, although that's more exception than rule. Warning signs to look for would be excessive straining with no babies coming or acting overly distressed outside hey this sh** hurts mom! Lol I know that's long but hopefully helpful!! I'm so excited!! (Pacing in the waiting room)

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh also the other reason I probably didn't know was that at the time, she and her sister were living exclusively in the bathroom so she couldn't come get me or wake me or anything

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone - thanks for the messages...
No kittens yet. I started feeling contractions at about 5pm last night - they were about 5 - 6 mins apart for a while... she stayed in her box and was super affectionate - pushing her belly up to be stroked (which is unusual for her) We left her to it and just kept the room really dim and quiet and were on hand if she wanted more fuss....
She moved out of the box at about 10pm and slept on the sofa - was up and down in the litter box through the night.
This morning she is back in her box and I can feel contractions and have felt some movement of the babies.... her tummy goes super hard and so bumpy where babies are -
She isn’t really eating - just licking the jelly off her food and drinking water. Her nipples are all puffed up with two quite definitive lines between both sides....
I’m starting to get worried it’s taking too long and something might happen to the kits and or Tigs....
There is no disharge or anything around her kit bits either.....
I’m going to ring the vet now and ask his advice....
What do you all think? Is this just normal early labour?
It’s insane how worrying this is.... x x x

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should probably also say that there has been no straining or pushing.
She hasn’t meowed in pain when she’s having the contractions - just purring loudly and pushing her tummy up to be stroked - she’s just curled up and asleep right now. I’m trying not to keep pestering and fussing her so she can rest before the kits start to arrive.
One super cute thing she has been doing is pushing my hand down on to her tummy with her paw for me to stroke it if Ive been stroking her head as if she’s saying “not there - stroke my tummy - it hurts! “

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I called the vet and explained everything I’ve written in my posts and she said how far are you away, bring her now, she might need a caesarean. I didn’t feel like she was listening to me though.
Grabbed the cat carrier and eventually got her inside.... even though the vet is only a five minute car journey away it felt like it took forever - Tigs was going crazy in the carrier - she even ripped one of her claws out so by the time we got there I was in tears worrying about her.
The vet examined her and she was so good out of the carrier - just sat and enjoyed all the fuss the vet and I was giving her. Until she gave her an internal examination that is but she was quick and told me that her cervix was still tight and that what I think were contractions could have been tummy pain?!?!?!?!? She said her milk has come in a bit...
She said it could be tonight she has them, maybe a couple of days... She said if she starts having contractions where she’s straining for more than a couple of hours then to take her back in which I already knew from my OCD cat research....I really felt like she didn’t listen to what I’d said on the phone as she basically reiterated what I’d said and that the way she is now is fine. I feel like I’ve stressed Tigs out and now she is hurt for no reason at all.
I know I’m not a vet but I feel absolutely certain what she’s having are early labour contractions. She also told me to confine her completely on her own away from us as she categorically WILL NOT have the kittens in our presence, we are to just feed her and leave her. She said even the most affectionate kitty will not give birth in the presence of humans
I really need all and any advice from anyone please as nothing I have read has told me to do this.... I’ve prepared everything we might possibly need for her - she has now chosen her favourite nesting box - she hadn’t been in this particular one until last night and now it’s where she is staying... I feel like I’ve followed all advice and done everything from what I’ve read etc but yet now I’m meant to shut her away on her own deprived of contact not only until she has the kittens but the vet said also when they at born and whilst they are nursing....!?!?!?
My head is completely fried right now. I just want to do the best thing for her and her babies.
Sorry about my long and rambly posts....
What do you all think? x x x x

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I think you need a new vet. She does seem to be in early labor. Don’t shut her away. If she wants to be with you, let her.

If you see her pushing without result for more than 30 minutes, you will need to rush her to a vet. Otherwise, it sounds like things are moving along.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of separating a cat to give birth. Do some cats like privacy and darkness and want to hide while they give birth? Yes. But Tigs will seek this out if that's what she wants, and it seems like what she wants is to be with you. My cat had one of her babies in front of me and would nurse them with me all the time. So there, vet :p Some bedside manner on that vet, I think I would also find a new vet. That being said, deep breaths. Tigs is most likely just fine. She seems happy and not in distress, and most likely she is just moving along. Think about women and how some women have babies in a couple of hours and then others go through labor for days before having a baby and things can still be fine and normal. I know its so hard to be patient, but as long as she is not distressed I would give it a little longer before you start to panic. Don't worry that you have stressed her out by taking her to the vet. Yes, that can be stressful, but they are resilient and she is ok, nobody loves the doctor :) Just follow Tigs's lead on this one. If she hides, let her hide and give her privacy. I will say she probably won't want a whole audience of the family watching her, but I have seen and heard lots of cats who want their human there with them. Hang in there. You may be right about the pre labor contractions, but all said I think this is just the start of the big show, in my un-expert opinion. If you are still really really concerned, by all means call and talk to another vet, see what they have to say. Keep us posted here, I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way that Tigs and her littles are all going to be happy and healthy, and for a good birth!!

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are you and Tigs doing? Any changes?
Hi Ans,
Thanks so much for your message and reassurance - Tigs is doing okay... she’s not really moved much for most of the day... had a bit to eat and some biscuits....
She hid for a little bit after we got back from the vet but I coaxed her out with some ham and she came and laid on me for a fuss and a nap. I think I’m forgiven, lol... I could feel the babies moving on my tummy and contractions
And so the waiting game of kitten watch continues....
thank you for your thoughts and prayers... x x x x x x x