Abandoned cat

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a very unique situation: my son is on the autistic spectrum. He is also bipolar with psychotic features which causes him to be very unstable. The problem this currently has caused is he has walked away from his apartment, his belongings and, sadly his beautiful cat named Duchess. I’m asking this cat community if they know someone or someplace to take her. She is a beautiful 3 year old, medium long haired black cat. I’m so upset about this and had no idea he did this until today. If we hadn’t tried to move his car (it’s broke down) and talking to his landlord, we wouldn’t have gone in his apartment and found Duchess with no food, no water and a disgusting litter box 😢. Please if anyone knows anywhere she can go. Here’s a picture of her...
87D4164B-6AFD-4889-8733-0740037959F2.jpeg
58B4E778-0BBC-4A9A-AB20-F7E497D639A4.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...first things first...is she somewhere safe for right now? Adequate food and water? That's primary. I'll start trying to find you some resources...how close to you is Portland? They have an AMAZING no-kill HSA (Humane Society of America), right off the top of my head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
3 hours from pdx. We lived there and my husband was born there. She’s safe and we’re taking care of her at his apartment. The apartment is subsidized and she’s in no danger of being put on the street. The landlady is fully aware of the situation. There’s heat etc.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...good. I emailed a friend in Portland who is very involved in animal causes, and this is what she sent me:

"Oh how awful! Poor sweetie...sounds like she’s quite a always from PDX but she could contact OHS for references to a shelter in her area:
(503) 285-7722

I’m sure there’s a good shelter in her area OR she could surrender Duchess to OHS, if she’s willing to make the drive."

Hope this helps!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes there’s a couple of shelters here. I feel just awful about bringing her to the shelter because I know she’s a very anxious cat. She was in the humane society here (Prineville’s) for 9mths until my son adopted her. She was under a year old when he adopted her and the shelter staff were sooo happy for Duchess. Realistically I know it’s what probably will happen to her though. I’m crying just thinking about it because people don’t usually want an older cat...thanks for looking into it.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any no kill or volunteer rescue groups near you? You might want to try a google search for volunteer rescue groups. Duchess is s a beautiful cat!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have the original adoption contract from the shelter she came from? Most shelters ask that pets are returned to them, rather than being sent to another shelter or passed on to a third party if things don't work out.

Please get in touch with the shelter first. It would be better for Duchess if she went back to a shelter where the staff know her. It could also mean that your son doesn't get in trouble for breaching the adoption contract if you let the shelter know what's happening.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have the original adoption contract from the shelter she came from? Most shelters ask that pets are returned to them, rather than being sent to another shelter or passed on to a third party if things don't work out.

Please get in touch with the shelter first. It would be better for Duchess if she went back to a shelter where the staff know her. It could also mean that your son doesn't get in trouble for breaching the adoption contract if you let the shelter know what's happening.
Thank you, that’s a good idea! I’ll call them to

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Are there any no kill or volunteer rescue groups near you? You might want to try a google search for volunteer rescue groups. Duchess is s a beautiful cat!
She is a very pretty cat-sweet too. She’s just a very anxious kitty and I’m hoping it will be ok 😕

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that with some time in a stable environment (and forgive me, I KNOW your son did the best he could, given his own issues), she will settle down and be fine. Cats are remarkably resilient like that.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that with some time in a stable environment (and forgive me, I KNOW your son did the best he could, given his own issues), she will settle down and be fine. Cats are remarkably resilient like that.
I’m hoping that will be the case.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
My seemingly impossible situation with my son’s abandoned cat had the best outcome I could ever hope for. I have the Nextdoor app and I posted the situation regarding Duchess there. I explained it truthfully but referred to my son as a young man with the rest as I posted here on the cat site. Many expressed interest but they had other pets. Long story short, a woman had a beloved cat that passed away from cancer (throat) and Duchess looks so much like her cat that passed she said she wanted to adopt Duchess! We brought Duchess over to her place and Duchess will finally have a home she deserves! The woman is the director of a children’s learning center so I feel she will give Duchess a lot of love ❤ sometimes things do have a happy ending!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What wonderful news! Thank you for letting us know. My very best wishes go to Duchess in her new home.

00ThanksCandle.jpeg