Abandoned Cat??

Anonymous:)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So for the past few months a cat has been visiting my garden and well s/he got rid of a few rats in our area so I can’t say I’m not thankful. However, the past week it’s started to meow for attention and presumably thinking its hungry I fed it and it stopped but now it’s started to stay all night meowing through all weathers. I don’t want to steal someone’s cat because that’s just horrible but it breaks my heart hearing it I’ve encouraged it to go home but it comes back everyday and stays the night. It fights the other strays I try to feed and lays in my garden all day. It has a collar so I’m weary on letting it in but I always start to think of it had a home why would it stay when it’s raining and cold. What do I do? P.s I do feed it because it cries like crazy and I can’t ignore that just in case it is stray oh and a few days ago it brought a friend but s/he didn’t stay just looked at me and left.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as though the cat may be an intact male. Thus the fighting behavior. He may not be wanted inside, if he is yowling/howling inside. An intact male will do anything to get outside and search for a mate. They will fight with others in their territory too.

It does sound as though he may have a home since he has a collar. Is it common to micro chip cat in your area? You could always try to take the cat to the vet and have him scanned. What about putting up fliers in your area?

The poor kitty does sound very hungry. It also sounds as though it has picked your yard as its territory. I would ask around the neighborhood.

I would also still offer it food if it appears hungry. I just hope that the cat is spayed or neutered.

Esther Mechler

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Is there a Trap/Neuter/Return program in your area? Sounds like this kitty does need to be neutered, and we hope you can find someone to help you trap him, get him to the vet and return him to your yard.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Write a small note asking if the cat belongs to someone and include your phone number. Roll the note up and tape it to the inside of the collar. If the note is undisturbed, or is missing with no reply, over the next few days, it is safe to assume the cat is a dump or a stray. Regardless, if the cat does have an owner, the owner is not caring properly for the cat. If you want to, you can take the cat to the vet for neuter and exam, and take him into your home. He will love you for the rest of his life. If he does have an owner, and the cat goes missing, if the owner cares, he or she will post ads on social media and actively look for him. My guess is that this will not happen.