Abandoned Cat ("Neigborhood Pet") Ethics on Adoption?

Thewright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has been missing for over a month. In the process of trying to find her I've gotten well acquainted with all the cats in the neighborhood, and especially one super sweet kitty named Ginger.
She was a house cat, but 9 years ago her owners sold their house and left her here 😡😥
I'm new to this neighborhood so I kind of feel like an outsider. All the neighbors speak fondly of her, feed her, sometimes bring her into their homes, sometimes try to adopt her. She supposedly doesn't get along with other cats, and will eventually run away and resume her life of loitering around her old house and being a sweet but wild thing.
So the problem: she is hampering my efforts to catch my cat. She has taken a liking to me, and has started coming over to our house in the middle of the night for food and loves. I had to set out an extra food bowl for her because she kept getting caught in my trap. But now she has decided she lives here. I showed her that our basement was heated and open and she was free to stay there, but she followed me home from looking for my cat past night and stayed on my front porch all night, right near the trap and the last place I caught my cat on camera. Of course my super skittish cat is not going to try to come home again with a new cat guarding the entrance.
But I dont know what else to do about Ginger. I don't have a Humane Society that takes in strays and the shelters have too many cats right now. She obviously wouldn't be claimed by an owner. And it doesn't seem right to remove this cat from this neighborhood when everyone is so fond of her. My mom is thinking about adopting her, but that would mean moving Ginger away from the neighborhood. I can't imagine what would happen if she was removed from her territory of 9 years and then escaped. But I can't keep her because my cat is coming home and Ginger doesn't get along with other cats.
Idk what to do, and I don't know that it's my business to do anything about? But she is keeping my cat from coming home. Thoughts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! She's cute!

Can you keep her closed in the basement or garage until you catch your kitty?

Since other neighbors have tried to adopt her and seem to want her to find a good home, I don't think they'd mind if your mom took her. You could ask a couple of them (those that seem most concerned about her) if they'd mind, and make sure the word spreads that she got a good home rather then dumped at a shelter or killed. But you would have to be careful she didn't escape, and having her microchipped and collared first would be a good idea. She's getting older and she's going to want a nice warm retirement home. Don't take her to a shelter or try to rehome her to a stranger though---she's better off as a neighborhood cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thewright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious if you came up with any solution, and whether or not you have seen your own cat recently?
Soo I kind of just decided to stop putting food outside the trap for a couple of days. Ginger has plenty of sources of food in the neighborhood, and knows better to go in the trap since shes gotten caught a few times. Actually she has stopped by for a few minutes to look for food and then leaves again.
BUT last night I woke up at 3am and saw that my cat had been there at 2 and I had missed the alarm. So I ran out to call for her hoping she'd still be close, instead Ginger ran right up, demanded snuggles, tried to get inside my house, and then sat right next to my front door for the rest of the night. Which would have obviously prevented my cat from coming home. Very frustrating.
Im still waiting to hear from my mom about adopting ginger. But I'm also thinking when my cat comes back I can give ginger more steady love and care. The area around my house is much safer than where shes been hanging out, since I live on a dead end with very little traffic.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BUT last night I woke up at 3am and saw that my cat had been there at 2 and I had missed the alarm. So I ran out to call for her hoping she'd still be close, instead Ginger ran right up, demanded snuggles, tried to get inside my house, and then sat right next to my front door for the rest of the night.
So, you caught your cat on camera? Wow. I wonder how far apart your cat was from Ginger when she showed up, given that Ginger came running when you called your cat? Btw, what is your cat's name?

Is Ginger around your home during the day, when maybe your mother could come over and see if Ginger might take a liking to her, as she has you? If she did, then Ginger might be more willing to let your mother take her into her home. Or, if you think Ginger would tolerate it, perhaps you could get her into your basement for a night or two and see if you can trap your cat during that time? If so, then once your cat is home, either let Ginger back out?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO happy to hear you at least caught sight of your guy - - knowing she's still that close has to be great news! But I do absolutely understand your frustration. My holiday wish for you is that you get her back safe inside ASAP!!

Ginger is such a pretty girl! And her family just moving without her - - awful and completely heartless. Wish I could say it doesn't happen often, but in my 30+ years of experience (how did I get this old?) of working for and volunteering for shelters, it happens far to often. I remember a kitty we got in at one shelter whose family had moved, leaving her alone in an apartment without telling a soul, and they'd put out no food or water for her. No one even knew she'd been left inside until the landlord came to paint the apartment - over a week later!!! Somehow she survived (they'd left the toilet seat up so she at least had a little access to water) - but she was in rough shape when she was finally found. We think she must have eaten bugs that got into the apartment - otherwise we couldn't figure out how she survived! Sorry I digressed - - but the capability some humans have to be that cruel to animals never ceases to amaze me.

As far as Ginger - - you've obviously stolen her heart (and it sounds like it's vice versa!)! But I understand your concern about getting your escaped kitty home. Definitely some good suggestions/thoughts above - - I do think you have options. One of the big advantages you have is that you KNOW she came from a home, so turning her into the inside kitty she was before shouldn't be too hard. Putting her in your basement (as long as it's a safe place) for the hopefully very short time it'll take to get your guy is a possibility - but depending on your basement - personally, it'd be one of my last options. Would any of the neighbors who feed her be willing to take her in - at least for the (hopefully short) time it'll take to get your guy back inside? It sounds like you do have neighbors who care for her might be willing to do that - if they feed her, they likely care for her, and would understand your dilemma. Plus it's a great way to meet your fellow cat-loving neighbors - - - a big advantage is you ever loser your kitty again! And I can't believe if you got her a home, if they care at all for her, none of them would be upset to see that she's finally safe inside somewhere!

The best bet sounds like seeing if your mother would take her in (do you know if she's fixed? - Ginger, not your mom ;) - or even if she is indeed female, since orange tigers are statistically male). She sounds like a loving kitty. And would your mom be keeping her fully inside? If so, moving her out of her territory shouldn't matter at all (she just couldn't be left outside at your mom's - otherwise she'll likely try to work her way back to where you live). Have you explained to your mom about how she's hindering your efforts to get your kitty back in, and that every day counts as far as getting yours back inside. I've got to believe she'd understand. And if she cant take her -I'd share her on your social media - she's kind, sweet, adorable, and used to being inside (and make sure you note why she's outside in the first place - - you'll hopefully touch a nerve with someone who would really empathize!

Is it even a sliver of a possibility to try to get your cat to get along - or at least tolerate Ginger - if you went through slow introductions in your home? Lots of us in this site can help you with that!

Keep us posted - - - on BOTH kitties (and your mom ;) )!!!!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can someone in the neighborhood keep her in for a few days? I realize you are new to the neighborhood but if you've talked to people enough to know that some have tried to adopt her before and keep her in- then some of them might be willing to try again or at least try just until you get your cat back in. That could happen pretty quickly.

I know I'd do it for any new neighbor that asked. It's not possible for a cat lover to stand by and not help when someone's indoor kitty gets out.

If that won't do you might try trapping Ginger and bringing her to the vet for an exam and vaccinations and boarding for a few days. It's the expensive option but it is a good option since she's at least 9 years old- pretty overdue for a vet check and might make her more appealing to an adopter whether that's your mom or someone the vet knows or a neighbor etc.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
In addition to everyone’s suggestions - if I’m understanding correctly, you said Ginger won’t go into the trap anymore, right?

If so, could you try leaving an extra bowl of food on your back porch or yard to keep her away from the front porch/trap?

You also mentioned you showed her your basement but she wasn’t interested. Could you place the food in there to lure her in? Then just keep her inside until you’re able to trap your kitty?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to your neighbors too and show them pictures of your cat? I guess somebody is also feeding your cat as she seems to be just nearby, and for all you know she and Ginger are bumping into each other's path outside.

Thewright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to revive an old post. Turns out the cat I was seeing on my camera was not mine, but a feral male. I havent seen my cat with my own eyes since around Christmas, although occasionally a neighbor will call and say she saw her 😥 at this point I've accepted she isn't coming home.
As far as Ginger, I am getting conflicting information on her background. One of my other neighbors has a cat that is almost identical to Ginger, and she told me that they were stray kittens in the neighborhood and her cat became a pet while Ginger refused to... so I don't know if Ginger has ever even been a house cat.
What I do know for sure is that she has picked us. She sits on our front porch all night every night, only wandering off I assume to find a bathroom and explore a little. Yesterday I was sitting out on the porch and she came and took a nap in my lap. She tolerates my kids nicely, voluntarily approaches them for pets, doesn't react any stronger to their sudden movements than to mine, and isn't even scared of my dog. Wary for sure, but not scared.
I had the most horrible and traumatic experience of accidentally hitting a cat that ran out in front of my car this week, in this neighborhood 😥😥😥 I am even more convinced now that cats do not belong on the street and I could care less what the neighbors think about me converting a neighborhood cat into an indoor cat. I've been trying to lure her inside and she actually came in today! I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. If she really has been on the street since birth she won't be litterbox trained. I've never litterbox trained a cat and certainly not an adult. I don't know how to get her comfortable with being inside. She came in a whole 4 or 5 feet from the door, then walked back out, then walked back in... etc. Etc. Once the door is closed though she starts yowling by the door and won't move or respond until you let her back out again. I certainly cannot leave the door open and I'm renting (dont worry I paid a pet deposit for my cat 😥) so I cant put a cat door in, esp since once I get her comfortable with being indoors she is not going out again 🤷‍♀️

Soooo basically how do I convert a stray into an indoor cat? Including figuring out if she's litterbox trained, training her if she isn't, getting her to peacefully coexist with my giant dopey dog (my Fae was so sick when we first got her that she was on someone's lap 24/7 and by the time she was better they were cool), and knowing when she is comfortable enough to stop letting her outside.

Attachments

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take heart. I am in the process of transitioning a completely feral (we think she was part of a litter born in the neighborhood a couple of years ago) but surprisingly friendly cat into an indoor cat. I started feeding her last summer and just before Christmas she went into a carrier; I shut the door and took her to the vet. She checked out okay and I brought her home the next day. I asked about the litter box; the vet said it is instinct for them to bury their waste and she wouldn't have a problem using it. He was right, other than one initial urination (I think from fright/relief when she first got back from the vet) she has gone in one of the two boxes I have out for her. She has been in my basement; started out friendly for a few days, spooked over something and hid for over a month, and a few weeks ago decided she liked me again and appeared when I went down with food. At this point she has access to the upstairs but until yesterday only came up at night after I went to bed. I have a dog (friendly golden retriever who knew my last cat), so she's being very cautious, but the past few days they've been watching each other at times through the opening at the basement door - I leave it ajar. She came up for a few minutes when the dog was asleep yesterday; I encouraged her to be brave by sitting on the floor and whispering to her.

You are starting way ahead of where we were, so I think you won't have a lot of problems. Hopefully someone else will say something about the yowling to get back out; I haven't had that. I think she's relieved to be safe. Mia relaxing (2).jpg One thing I do is cover any windows at night before I go up, the first time she came up I didn't do that and I think she tried to run through the patio door because I heard some thumping. Plus I don't want her to see any outside animals.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bring her in. You will have to tolerate the yawling at the door to go out, but most outdoor cats soon learn the joys of the never empty food bowl, being warm, out of the rain, and eventual the joy of a head and ear scratch. And even, maybe, a warm lap. J Joan M has some good advice in her posts.

Sorry to read about your first cat. But the only good thing that can happen to an outdoor cat is to become an indoor cat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of us has transitioned semi feral, total feral and strays to being strictly indoor kitties. Safe, properly cared for and loved will get you through. We’ll all be around for any tips we can provide. She should understand about a litter box but there are tricks to use if she doesn’t catch on right away. Please do keep her. I wish everyone thought like you are thinking. :clap2:

Thewright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Great advice here. I'm feeling more encouraged for sure. I think I can put her in our laundry room (used to be my old cats "room" with food water and litterbox.. only problem is it has the back door where I let the dog out multiple times a day. I can't really think of another room that could be 100% her space. I suppose I could take my dog on walks through the front door for a while instead of letting him out the back. Our basement only has outdoor access so it wouldnt do to much for integration. Do you think she would feel weird about using my old cat's food and water bowls and litterbox? They're clean but I'm sure a cat could still detect her scent.
I feel weird about kidnapping her (catnapping her? 🤣) and wondering how I'm even going to get her from the front door to the back room. She lets you pick her up, but she's kind of "twitchy" and only comfortable with you picking her up long enough to get her onto your lap or off of it, if you're trying to actually move her by picking her up she starts wiggling and clawing (not like scratching you, just trying to get her bearings and goodness she has sharp claws... she's also a kneader.. I just smile through the pain 🤣). And I'm putting my dog out back while I coax her inside right now. Idk. I'm sure I'll figure it out. It might actually make more sense to confine her to the living room. I'm going to do what I did last night and leave the front door open and put her food inside, dog outside, and close all the doors to the living room and just hang out. I'm still pretty nervous about the yowling. My husband said either kidnap her or let her be free because she's not going to come willingly. I think she will though. From day 1 she was peeking her head up and sniffing whenever I opened the door. You could tell she wanted to come in but she was scared.
I also think she hasn't been eating unless I feed her. She's starting to look thinner. And I have observed her at some of the cat feeders in the neighborhood and the other cats fight her away 😥 the people try to leave out separate food for her but I'm not convinced that she is always able to get to it.
I'll keep you all updated!

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! Glad you're going to bring her in. The fact that she's interested in coming inside seems to say she prefers the sanctuary of your home. And if she's not eating except for what you put down, she already looks to you for all her food.

The one time Mia, my current transitioning feral, went outside her box was right after I brought her back from the vet and she went on my old cat's bed, which had been washed twice, that I had put on a sofa for a soft spot in the basement for her. I think she smelled him.

Because of that, I got new litter boxes and new beds for her. I did use my cats' old bowls, but they are ceramic and had been through the dishwasher and I'm sure had no scent left.

I would think that she would prefer a room quieter than your living room, for time to decompress, but I could be wrong. I hope all goes well!

Thewright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm super committed now. Just scheduled a spay/neuter/well check/vaccine appointment with a local charity vet thing! Even if this all fails she'll at least be in better shape. Maybe I'll try our bedroom, or the oldest sons bedroom. She seems to gravitate towards him and in fact she tried to go into his room last night.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she had kittens in the 9 years she's been in the neighborhood? I figured she was already spayed since you didn't mention hundreds of kittens. Hopefully the vet can tell because I'd hate for them to put her through being cut open unnecessarily at her age. Maybe they could do a dental though. At her age I'm sure she needs it.