Abandoned Cat Injured Need Help

Snoopycatz07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbors moved and left their cat (Panther). I’ve been feeding him since they’ve moved. He somehow injured his back leg and I can’t afford to take him to the vet. I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to take him to a shelter where he’ll be euthanized because he’s really a cool cat. He’d always follow me when walking to the corner market (before his injury) and he’d come inside the market and say hello to employees. Then follow me home. He really is a sweet cat. I emailed a local cat sanctuary but they can’t take him. I posted on twitter for help but I’ve had no responses. I would really love to find him a forever home because he’d make a great companion. I live in Los Angeles area.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way you can keep him inside for awhile? This might allow the injury to heal. If he just sprained it some rest would really help. Yet if it's a bite or cut, he might need vet care. Is there anyone who can help you out with some money?

Thank you for caring about this cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call every shelter and rescue in the area and see if they can take the cat in. Explain that your neighbor abandoned a cat that you are temporarily caring for the cat but can no longer do so. Some may be kill-shelters but at least the cat will be cared for.

Try these:

Pet Rehoming Organizations
Los Angeles Animal Services | To promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of animals and people
Owner Surrender Information — PET RESCUE SOLUTIONS
Los Angeles County Animal Care & Control
Information and Admission Policies
Surrendering Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snoopycatz07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies. I can’t bring him inside due to my rental policy and because property manager lives on site, but I’ve made him a shelter so he’ll feel safe. Luckily he stays in it most of the time. I think he fractured his leg and/or dislocated something. I’ll try those websites listed. Thanks again!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do a google search for local no kill rescue groups. Go to a local Pet Smart on the weekends when volunteers rescue groups come in to offer their rescues for adoption. They may be able to help you and Panther.

Please keep us updated!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he can't come inside but you have a patio area, maybe you can keep him in a kennel for a week or two. Just cover it at night with a tight cover so predators don't mess with him. A large dog carrier or wire kennel will work. Any type of leg injury (assuming not visibly deformed) will do well with a few weeks of limited movement to rest the injury site.

If your rental manager is someone you can talk to you might be able to explain you would like to short term keep him in just your bathroom to heal. Most pet restrictions are to limit damage to the unit so if you keep him in just the bathroom and explain the manager might allow a limited time exception.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This will be labor intensive, but I googled "help for injured cats los angeles" and as I worked through the first two pages there were several groups who offered some sort of financial assistance for injured cats. I would suggest that you call those groups and see what they can do for you. Sometimes it is disappointing as they are swamped, but you might find someone who knows someone who can give you a lead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snoopycatz07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for all the replies, I am so grateful, I’ve been trying to get help all week. Your good people :)

Update: I do keep him on my porch, I basically put a big plastic bin on its side and laid down a blanket inside. He stays in it most of the time, only getting up to go potty. But that’s a good idea I will talk to the property manager about bringing him in until I can get him help.

Also like fionasmom suggested I googled help for injured cats and I found an organization that helps people financially who take in strays/abandoned cats in Orange County. I will contact them first thing in the morning.

Thanks again for the suggestions it’s much appreciated and I will keep you posted.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the best you can for him and he understands that. I hope that you can find someone who can give you some direction about getting help for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And remember, as you try to locate the right group to help you, just having a place where he feels safe to rest and heal is of IMMENSE value! You are providing that. Thank you!