Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you! These cats need to be spayed/neutered or you are going to have so many cats on your watch. You have given your neighbor ample opportunity to do the right thing.

Thank you for all of your efforts to help these cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And ANOTHER UPDATE: I arranged a meeting between rescue cat lady neighbor and my neighbor, along with the young cat - baby was a 'no show'. Unfortunately, the rescue cat lady does think she is pregnant. We didn't apparently dodge the bullet on that one - d---. But, plans are beginning to come into place anyway.

Rescue lady is going out of town today until next Tuesday - wouldn't it figure. But, she will then bring over a crate to trap the two in. She will line up a foster home where the two cats can stay together under the required 2 week supervision for possible kitten delivery. They will not spay until she delivers (or, it is determined that she is not pregnant after all).

After that, if there are kittens, they will stay with foster until kittens are weaned, and then the cats will be spayed/vaccinated/etc. and put up for adoption. Preferably YC and baby together, but of course that just depends on the adopters.

At least this is a step in the right direction albeit too late to avoid the more-than-likely pregnancy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here we are and it is Tuesday - supposed to hear from cat rescue lady later this afternoon about her bringing over the crate. When this was all discussed last week, it was my understanding that the rescue lady wanted to get my neighbor to try to feed them in the crate for a few days to get them comfortable with being in it, and then go from there.

My neighbor thinks she can pick up the baby brat cat now, as well as the young cat, so scooping them up vs. waiting to trap them might be new plan. We'll see what cat rescue lady wants to do about arranging for a foster - or if she already has someone who could accept them this week.

Unfortunately though, my neighbor just texted me to say she is now going to be busy this afternoon and tomorrow, even though we agreed last week to introduce the crate today. So, I guess the crate might have to wait until Thursday. Even so, this could be coming to an end sooner than I might have imagined - despite how long it has been going on.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too busy to put the food bowl in the trap??? MG what a life that woman leads, Queen Elizabeth I and Catherine the great would be exhausted by it.

What if you offer to put the dish in the trap? Maybe peek over the fence a couple of times before bed.

If that won't work, I'd set the trap up in my yard and just not tell the busy lady anything. She obviously doesn't have time for words.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have gotten the impression that she really doesn't want me in her backyard when she is not there... has never offered to let me and keeps the gate 'locked'. My fence climbing skills were never good, but certainly haven't gotten any better with age!

No, something - yet again - is going on. It seems like she forgot all that the cat rescue lady told her last week, or :dunno:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
get the stinky fish cat food and some KFC to bait the trap. This has gone on long enough. What happens in your yard, happens in your yard and is your business not crazy lady's.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These cats have food 24/7 at the neighbors, and other than to 'stray for play' (baby brat cat anyway) they don't venture out much where I can see them. Last time I saw baby brat cat - and she saw me - she immediately headed for home base. She is here a lot around dusk, but won't come close to the house and has not yet eaten anything I have put out for her - even if it is away 15-20 feet from my house.

Now, that I've watched a pattern with the neighbor, the young cat only comes into my yard if she has eaten all of her and the baby's food and wants more and usually because my neighbor has been gone for long hours and hasn't paid attention to her. Baby brat cat is much less interested in attention, and only eats 'as needed'.

The cage that the rescue lady wants them in is probably what they will spend all their time in for 2 weeks after they are 'caught'. So, I think she wants them to be somewhat familiar with it. I am not sure my neighbor is getting that.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't change your neighbor. She is who she is. If you want things done you gotta do it yourself. Familiarity is a luxury. You just need to catch that pregnant one.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sardines, if you can work that key thing. The right food will entice them into your yard. Hey, I'm not suggesting you go buy some mice and put them in a cage in the cage... Nope, not suggesting that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This neighbor, it would seem, is moving out of the country at the end of the month; so, both need to be caught while she is still here - or no luck with baby; we will lose her. Once young cat is gone, and the neighbor who is her only connection to any human being is gone, she will run to who knows where.

Or, I will have to fight the battle with baby brat cat all over from Square One, and try to keep my Feeby from interrupting it/impeding it.

Besides, I am no longer certain that both are not pregnant. If one is, so likely is the other...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
sardines, if you can work that key thing. The right food will entice them into your yard. Hey, I'm not suggesting you go buy some mice and put them in a cage in the cage... Nope, not suggesting that.
After many experiments, this baby brat cat will eat two things: 1.) dry cat food and apparently 2.) mice (maybe a squirrel she caught - neighbor found a squirrel tail in the backyard). So, yeah, thanks; and, no I am not giving her one of my squirrels!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue is one cat at a time. I think baby cat will come around. You and your property is the next thing she's familiar with so if you keep putting food out for her I bet she will come around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't even heard from the cat rescue lady today yet - she was coming home today, maybe later than I realized. I will ask her about just getting them in this cage she wants them in, familiarity or not.

Then, I just want the d--- neighbor to scoop up the baby, since she seems to think she can. As long as the neighbor lives there - young cat gone or not - she will feed the baby and baby won't need me. I don't want this dragging out until she is gone in order to get the baby.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just looked it up. Squirrels can lose part or all of their tails to a predator and keep on going. It's better not to and they don't seem to be able to regrow one, but they aren't lunch. It would be safer to do so in Fl where it's mostly warm.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why? No word from cat rescue lady - can't reach her. So, something has happened to her, or she no longer is interested in helping out. Great. May be that I will have to search for another rescue source. Will start the hunt tomorrow if I haven't heard from her by the end of the day. Just when you think things might be going in the right direction...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the upside, just for the h of it. Maybe her car broke down and she's dealing with that and getting the money together for it. Maybe she was called to an emergency trap an entire feral colony and didn't have time to open her phone. Maybe a dog ate her phone...

I'm thinking you should have a stack of easy read-absolutely-HEA books and a new bottle of wine until this is done.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat rescue lady just now showed up unannounced at my door, without the cage. Neighbor not home, so here we go again. Now, cat rescue lady will take the cats anyway she can get them, since I told her neighbor says she can pick up baby brat cat.

So, if neighbor is amenable, I guess she can scoop them up and put them in the crate she already has (even though rescue lady initially wanted to use a cage, not the crate?). Then, I am to call rescue lady to come get them. The plan is Friday morning early, since that is the time of day the neighbor thinks she can get to them. Not tomorrow, since I have no idea when I will be able to relay this new plan to my neighbor considering she is not home yet.

I have a headache...