Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What else do teenage cats do? Partying with the neighbor cats over a couple of beers - or in this case, maybe mice?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What else do teenage cats do? Partying with the neighbor cats over a couple of beers - or in this case, maybe mice?
:lolup: :flail::flail::lol::lol:
That was a hilarious response!
Seriously, though, January is about the time that kitties go into season. How I wish that there were oral contraceptives for cats available in the US. They are used on big cats in the zoo and on cats in other countries :frustrated:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a possibility. There have been oral contraceptives for dogs since the 1970s. I think this was because of breeding dogs who got too old to breed, but were pets. The owners didn't want to get them spayed due to their age or other medical conditions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No earthshattering news, but I am seeing baby/teenage brat cat daily - just for a few minutes. She has come into my yard around dusk for the past several days. She thinks it is 'hunting/play' time; I feed squirrels and when they go home for the night there is generally a mouse or two that comes in behind them. She never catches/sees anything (neither have I lately) and after a couple minutes or so goes back to home base.

Anyway, I am encouraged that she has learned well from the young cat - that is, no need to stray far from home. I really think both of them are staying in the neighbor's back yard all of the time, from what I can tell. It helps that it's been cold, so they would prefer their comfy enclosed outdoor quarters, with an occasional 'invite' inside, and food that they don't have to hunt for all the time.

Now, all young cat has to do is to continue teaching, by example, the baby that my neighbor can be trusted - still not yet there...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One little tidbit of news - baby (brat teenage cat; her new nickname), has let my neighbor actually touch her tail - no freaking out, running away, etc. Is this cat a diva, or what??? I think we are going on 3 months now...

Young cat is doing fine, ready for a home without a doubt. Too bad she can't whip brat cat into submission. Little does she know that baby is keeping her from getting what she apparently wants most.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats ventured into my yard this morning...Feeby figured out they were there and hissed, growled, and howled at them. Scared the crap out of them and they wasted no time going back to home base!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just can't get the picture out of my head. When the young cat ran away over the fence, she hesitated before disappearing and looked back at me as if to say "how could you have let that happen?". It broke my heart. It just keeps replaying in my head...

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you getting any closer to getting the door put on the box?

I realize you have no power in this at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No door on crate, and tbh since weather is warming up it would probably be a waste of time now. Don't think they are even using the crate at this point.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Warmer day - and no rain! Cats are taking advantage of it while they can (more rain over the next couple of days)!! Baby, aka brat teenage cat, has now let my neighbor 'touch' her a couple of more times. But, only in the presence of baby's protector - the young cat.
output.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haven't seen either cat in days (until just a minute ago), but neighbor reports now being able to actually pet the baby, brat teenage cat!! So, good news there.

Now, back to my question. Seeing the young cat roam through my back yard at dusk, which in the past has seemed to mean she is looking for the baby-teenager, I texted my neighbor who said she has not seen the baby all day. These two appear kind of inseparable, especially from the baby's perspective.

I am sure the answer varies, but at this juncture is it common for the young cat to go away from the 'security' of her home-base to 'find' the baby? Seems like one dedicated mother - or sister - or what??

Edited: the young cat wasn't gone but 5-10 minutes max, and both cats showed up at my neighbor's door.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In these cats' case, since they were likely dumped, it is good they have one another! Although, the young cat would have had a home long ago if it weren't for the baby/teenager. Such is life...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Venting again. Cats showed up in my back yard at dusk - neighbor is not home. Tried to feed them both, but young cat just eats it all before baby cat is comfortable enough to get near a food bowl. I think YC has worms, but could be pregnant as well. She ate a car-load.

I can't trap them as they have a home base with neighbor and have no reason - other than when they are not getting fed - to come over here. I am pretty mad at my neighbor right now. Maybe she fed them before she left, but apparently not enough for them to not want to come over here.

I know you all tell me to go ahead and pick up YC and get her help. But, I just keep thinking about what will happen to baby cat if I do. She is still pretty much feral other than letting my neighbor pet her on occasion. I can't get near her - period. And, as I have said many times before, baby seems to be totally reliant on YC.

On top of that, my cat, Feeby, is sick with a UTI and who knows what else - so I am trying to care for her at the same time. I even blocked Feeby from her favorite place - the patio - to try to get these two to eat. Feeby doesn't understand, but knows something is amiss.

Like I said, just venting. Go ahead and bitch me out for not finding a way to help these cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just told my neighbor (via txt) that the next time young cat is in my yard I am taking her for care. And, I told her that it is up to her if she wants baby cat to go with yc. I told neighbor that this has got to stop.