AAACK!- the bird people are out of control-AAACK!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sick of stupid comments coming from bias bird people on how cats are responsible for all of the birds disappearing in this world!

Let me explain:

I joined a parrot site because I wanted to learn everything I could to ensure the best possible care for my two parrots- and for the most part- the site has been helpful. But with the good, comes the insane, as evident with some of the replies in regards to a member's thread on whether she should get a kitten.Most people said NO, but of course I didn't. I told her that if she wanted a kitten, she should get one, and to use common sense when it came to her cat and bird living under the same roof. I then went on to tell her that I have had birds and cats all of my life without any tragic consequences. She had her sights set on a Siamese, of which I explained that was a good choice since Siamese aren't really noted for their hunting skills. Of course my reply stood out like a sore thumb, and everyone and their parrot proceeded to take me apart- (you would have thought I had suggested offering birds up as a sacrifice to cats when a full moon was present).

The crappy comments:

Of course the very first one was from a mod who went on about how many serial killing Siamese she had known in her life and that breed should be the last cat to be around a bird. That beaut was followed by several members, who knew people, that knew people, who had birds that met their fate in the paws of a cat. I was even lectured by someone "who hated arguments" but felt that I was giving dangerous advice in suggesting that cats and birds can live together.

And then there is my favorite: the one person who can't refrain from posting iffy "science",Our cute killers: Cats kill more than 1.5 billion native animals per year in Australia | TSR Hub

I did my best, folks, but in the end I realized something- you can't fix stupid.

cats and birds.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You should have suggested that if they really care about birds, and wild animals in general, they should stop driving their cars and eating meat.

Most birds that are killed or are in danger of becoming extinct are more at risk from habitat loss, collisions with man-mad objects, pesticides, climate change, fishing industries and lack of resources than they are by predation.

It's just a lot easier for people to blame cats than it is to think about the damage we have done to the earth with our lifestyles.

Cats and Birds | Are Cats Causing Bird Declines? - The RSPB

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, some cat people think you shouldn't have dogs around cats. Everybody has opinions.

Honestly, with any bird larger than a cockatiel, I think the bird might win the fight :runaround: (<----the cat after the bird got done with him, lol).

Randomly and unsolicited, I'll also say that I wouldn't really recommend a Siamese for a first-time cat owner, unless they've been around them a lot and know that they like that personality. It's a bit much for some people. . .although parrot people would at least be used to noise!

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
These people should come to my house. My budgies Freddie and Mercury can scare the heck out of my cats. Not one of my felines dares to get close. :lol:

Seriously, some people's minds are already decided on what to believe. So no amount of explanation based on facts can sway them from thinking otherwise. You did your best, and yes, stupidity cannot be fixed. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had many outside cats that absolutely LOVE to hunt. Although they did catch the occasional bird, which I freed if i could, the vast majority of prey caught was mice, rabbits, and voles. i would definitely say 10 to one. Birds are much harder to catch, unless they are babies. Nature is cruel, but catching prey is instinct and can also mean the literal difference between life and death. no one likes to see something get killed, but if tehy are protected to the point of overpoplulation, then nature steps back in with disease and a whole new set of problems. Look at what happend to the ecosystem when wolves were eliminated. Deer and other prey suffered greatly eventually.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only indoor/outdoor cat I've ever had was Sweet Thing. I know she killed field mice because when she killed a mother mouse she brought the babies to me afterwards, presumably for me to take care of (all I could do was flush them, regrettably). She also caught a bat once (no idea where she found it) and brought it in the house to die, and once she caught a garter snake, which she brought into the house to play with. She was seriously upset with us when we deposited the garter snake on the other side of the little stream that runs behind the houses across the street from us. :evilgrin:

But the only time I've had to deal with an injured bird caught by one of our pets, the pet at fault was a dog, a long-haired dachshund mix. And no, I've no idea how he managed to catch a bird, although he was known to climb the cottonwood tree in our back yard.

Margret

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sick of stupid comments coming from bias bird people on how cats are responsible for all of the birds disappearing in this world!

Let me explain:

I joined a parrot site because I wanted to learn everything I could to ensure the best possible care for my two parrots- and for the most part- the site has been helpful. But with the good, comes the insane, as evident with some of the replies in regards to a member's thread on whether she should get a kitten.Most people said NO, but of course I didn't. I told her that if she wanted a kitten, she should get one, and to use common sense when it came to her cat and bird living under the same roof. I then went on to tell her that I have had birds and cats all of my life without any tragic consequences. She had her sights set on a Siamese, of which I explained that was a good choice since Siamese aren't really noted for their hunting skills. Of course my reply stood out like a sore thumb, and everyone and their parrot proceeded to take me apart- (you would have thought I had suggested offering birds up as a sacrifice to cats when a full moon was present).

The crappy comments:

Of course the very first one was from a mod who went on about how many serial killing Siamese she had known in her life and that breed should be the last cat to be around a bird. That beaut was followed by several members, who knew people, that knew people, who had birds that met their fate in the paws of a cat. I was even lectured by someone "who hated arguments" but felt that I was giving dangerous advice in suggesting that cats and birds can live together.

And then there is my favorite: the one person who can't refrain from posting iffy "science",Our cute killers: Cats kill more than 1.5 billion native animals per year in Australia | TSR Hub

I did my best, folks, but in the end I realized something- you can't fix stupid.

View attachment 316775
It’s sites like that that make me value TCS and this community all the more. And a great big hug to our stalwart and faithful mods who help keep us civilized when we might cross the line either inadvertently or deliberately. Love you all! :grouphug: :rock:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
But the only time I've had to deal with an injured bird caught by one of our pets, the pet at fault was a dog, a long-haired dachshund mix. And no, I've no idea how he managed to catch a bird, although he was known to climb the cottonwood tree in our back yard.
In my house in the Philippines, I have 3 dogs and a cat. One of my dogs (Coco is the name, he is a shihtzu) probably was a cat in his previous life. He can catch a bird as easily and as skillfully as my cat Pepsi. I lost count of the number of small birds he caught; some we managed to rescue; some died, and I remember there was one we managed to rush to a nearby vet but died there.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of those when I posted a comment about how there should be a law banning fireworks for recreational use, someone commented "it's karma for the birds your cats kill", which is stupid because birds are scared of fireworks too, and as other posters have mentioned it's not just cats, dogs can to. It's not pleasant but is just a fact of nature that a lot of people need to get over before they comment something negative about cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had many outside cats that absolutely LOVE to hunt. Although they did catch the occasional bird, which I freed if i could, the vast majority of prey caught was mice, rabbits, and voles. i would definitely say 10 to one. Birds are much harder to catch, unless they are babies. Nature is cruel, but catching prey is instinct and can also mean the literal difference between life and death. no one likes to see something get killed, but if tehy are protected to the point of overpoplulation, then nature steps back in with disease and a whole new set of problems. Look at what happend to the ecosystem when wolves were eliminated. Deer and other prey suffered greatly eventually.

Exactly, cats will not waste precious time and energy going after the more challenging prey, birds, when there are plenty of land mammals running around.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of those when I posted a comment about how there should be a law banning fireworks for recreational use, someone commented "it's karma for the birds your cats kill", which is stupid because birds are scared of fireworks too, and as other posters have mentioned it's not just cats, dogs can to. It's not pleasant but is just a fact of nature that a lot of people need to get over before they comment something negative about cats.

Its actually us who kill the most- of any species.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
In my house in the Philippines, I have 3 dogs and a cat. One of my dogs (Coco is the name, he is a shihtzu) probably was a cat in his previous life. He can catch a bird as easily and as skillfully as my cat Pepsi. I lost count of the number of small birds he caught; some we managed to rescue; some died, and I remember there was one we managed to rush to a nearby vet but died there.

I agree about your statement about your dog. Whenever my parakeet would get lose it was always our collie that we would have to keep an eye on because he would snap in the air at the little guy, just like he would do at a fly.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s sites like that that make me value TCS and this community all the more. And a great big hug to our stalwart and faithful mods who help keep us civilized when we might cross the line either inadvertently or deliberately. Love you all! :grouphug: :rock:
AMEN! And a great big hug to our moderators for also not being the first one to throw a punch.