A very vocal kitten... why?

callygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten that was born in January, that I brought off a breeder a couple of months ago.

This kitten over the last few weeks (that I've noticed) has developed a habit(?) of constant howling/moaning whenever she sees me. Be it I go in the kitchen and put the jug on she is ALWAYS under my feet (I fear that I'll break a paw soon because she is always in the way and I constantly stand on her) moaning away at me (not meowing, but that really annoying whinging noise), or I go to the bathroom she is ALWAYS moaning at me.

If I pick her up and pat her, she is the same - always whinging at me.

If I go to the toilet, she wants in there with me. If I have a shower, same thing...

She doesnt like to be outside much either, unless I'm out there.

Nothing in her daily life has changed, her dietary habits are the same as what the breeder was giving her. Nothing has changed. So maybe she has always been like this but I've only just noticed?

I want to make clear that I give this kitten lots of attention, and she has adlib feed available (which the breeder did as well, and I have always done with any of the cats I've had)

She is worst when I have visitors (they even remark on her saying that if she was theirs they'd give her a swift kick up the behind - and I feel like doing that at times!) and also when I am in the kitchen.

She is the only cat in the house.

What can I do to stop this annoying behaviour? I adore her to bits but I can't put up with this constant moaning that she gives.

Please help!

Oh, also, she always licks me too. Does that mean anything?

Regards,

Rebekah

3calicos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got a new baby kitten myself. Miss Mouse, as we call her, is very vocal all the time. She's talking to you, she likes to talk. Talk back to her, she'll answer you (it's cute)

She's lonely, I'm pretty sure she grew up with brothers and sisters until now and now she's the ONLY KITTY all alone. She wants to be near someone, you are her family now, the only one she knows so she wants to be as near to you as possible. Have you thought about getting another kitten? Something that helped out our little one since the adult cats wanted nothing to do with her was a our stuffed tiger became her cat friend.

Licking is kisses, she loves you... This is a good thing
She also may want the salt on your skin. She does love you though, Mouse will only lick my DH and I.

Do you sit with her and just let her fall asleep on your shoulder or in your lap? This helps them too. As a matter of fact Mouse is on my shoulder as I type. She's happy this way, the kitten wants to be near you so try and let her be around you as much as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

I figured she was 'lonely' and I am her only mate, but getting another kitten is out of the question. If I get another cat I want a purebred, not a half of this, quarter that kind of mongrel... and Cally cost me enough thanks!

Talking to her, picking up her, and all that doesnt seem to shut up her, especially if I want my own time and space to myself which I just cant get.

Her level of noise really is beyond reasonable - even the visitors seem to think so too.

I would like her to be a bit more independent than having to rely on me all the time. I live on a farm and there is a whole world of mice, birds and new adventures out there for her but she just wont go out without me.
It would do her the world of good, and me too if she had more courage to go out there by herself and explore.

She hasnt been 'fixed' yet but has been booked in for the 28th of this month.
My vet clinic wont 'fix' anything under 6 months of age.

Regards,

Rebekah

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh if you are letting her outside then you need to get a new vet that will spay her earlier then 6 months. It can be done at 8-10 weeks old or 2 lbs. If you wait, then you need to not let her outside. She can get pregnant as early as 4 months and from what you said she is older then that so she is at risk. It is also a smart thing to spay her before her first heat cycle as it will greatly reduce her risk of cancer when older. You vet is a little old fashioned.

As far as your comment about only getting a purebred, why? What is wrong with a "mutt" cat? They are no different in personality and often purebreds have more health issues. Especially if the breeder is not an ethical one. All my cats are mutts except one and they each have their own personalities, I couldn't imagine there being much of a difference. Plus the majority of the cats in the world who need homes and are put to sleep in shelters are mixed breed and they are all extremely happy, lovable cats. No reason to pay an arm and a leg for them either. I either found mine or paid a maximum of $60 at a rescue shelter and that cat came vaccinated, wormed, flea treated and spayed. Couldn't ask for a better deal. She is a wonderful girl too. You will love the cat whether it is purebred or not.

If you are set on a purebred, pleases look into adopting from a purebred rescue. Take in a homeless one. It won't cost as much and you will feel good knowing you helped a cat in need.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and plus, if she doesn't want to go out, don't make her. It is much safer for her inside, not predators, no roads, no disease, no males until she is spayed, and she is really too young to be out alone anyways.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rebekah - every cat has a unique personality, just like people. I think you just have a cat with an outsized, outgoing, vocal personality. Perhaps you know some people like that.

Spaying and maturing will certainly calm her down some, but I suspect this cat is always going to be a demonstrative, vocal, outgoing cat because that's just the personality she was born with.

You didn't mention her breed, unless I missed it in your posts. Some breeds are known for being talkative. Did you research breed characteristics before you got this cat?

hth515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She might be a little young to let outside and that might be the reason she is scared, also it doesn't seem like a good idea, at least for now with all the other reasons mentioned.

When I got my cat Ruxpin I was expecting a kitten of course but one more like our other cat Roxie who is really independent. I forgot that they all have unique personalities and cats aren't always independent like people say. When we first got Ruxpin he would cry and cry if we put him in another room. He would always follow me everywhere I went and he would always try to be around me like your cat seems to. I thought it was very sweet though because I hadn't seen a cat act like that before. Although it would get a little annoying if you had to put him away for any reason because he wouldn't stop crying. Eventually he grew out of the crying but he is still always very curious about what I'm doing. When I get up he always tries to see what it is that I'm doing. He is still a vocal cat but he doesn't cry for no reason and he'll talk back to you if you meow or talk to him.

It could be that your cat will grow out of the crying when she is a little older like mine did. I wish you good luck, hopefully everything will work out.

hayleym72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat is 2 and NEVER shuts up! he is like a grumpy old man and does nothing but "talk" all day long!! it appears he isnt vocalling nice meows more or less it sound like complaining and bitching! whereas my other kitty when she does that it is more of a living i need you sound. im not sure why the other one complains so much this is something ive been trying to figure out myself!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh - heh .... sounds like Rocket. He "complains" a lot, too .... in a rather irritating way .... I call him my "whiney-cat."

hayleym72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
coaster thats funny because ur rocket looks just like my roger so maybe its a big orange tabby tomcat thing!!

callygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I may have been misunderstood since you guys seem to think that I let her outside alone all the time ... which I don't.

The breeder where I got the kitten didnt allow her cats outside, for the fact they were a stud queens and kings, and theft etc. So the litter from which Cally came from had never experienced the outside world until I brought her home. It was only after having her for 3 weeks that I let her outside without having a collar of some sort just in-case she took off.
Now, doors are left open and she comes and goes as she pleases, which isnt often. She sticks with me when outside. If a door is open she will not often go out alone.
She also does not sleep outside at night. She sleeps at the end of my bed.

I do know what it is like to have saved and rescued kittens.
Before I moved out here to this house, I saved a malnourished kitten from certain death. It has been someones pet, and they dumped her at the river of that property. After a quick pursuit around the paddock I caught it and took it home. The following day it was taken to the vets and get a complete check over to make sure it was fine and healthy. Other than having been malnourished, she (that cat was named Pickle) was in perfect health.
I kept her and had her spayed, and brought her to this new place. Only she ran away a week after she was moved here and I since havent seen her, although there are sightings of her.
Hence my reluctance to let Cally outside for such a long time after having this new kitten.

Why do I like Purebreds? I just do. I have nothing against mongrels, but I prefer purebreds... all my pets are purebreds apart from 1 of the cows that I have.
Cally is a Blue Point Birman - known for being affectionate cats.

I dont for one second think that cally is too young to be let outside. She is 6 months old. I dont have to worry about traffic on roads as I live out rural and there is no traffic on my road other than myself.
She is not scared when outside. When I'm out there she is only too happy to chase birds, play with twigs etc. She has never demonstrated any signs of being scared since I have had her.

Back to the talking issue - can anyone give any tips on what I could do to get her to be a bit more quiet? I dont mind her meowing, but this whinging/howling she does drives me up the wall.

Regards,

Rebekah

iluvmybabes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by CallyGirl

I have a kitten that was born in January, that I brought off a breeder a couple of months ago.

This kitten over the last few weeks (that I've noticed) has developed a habit(?) of constant howling/moaning whenever she sees me. Be it I go in the kitchen and put the jug on she is ALWAYS under my feet (I fear that I'll break a paw soon because she is always in the way and I constantly stand on her) moaning away at me (not meowing, but that really annoying whinging noise), or I go to the bathroom she is ALWAYS moaning at me.

If I pick her up and pat her, she is the same - always whinging at me.

If I go to the toilet, she wants in there with me. If I have a shower, same thing...

She doesnt like to be outside much either, unless I'm out there.

Nothing in her daily life has changed, her dietary habits are the same as what the breeder was giving her. Nothing has changed. So maybe she has always been like this but I've only just noticed?

I want to make clear that I give this kitten lots of attention, and she has adlib feed available (which the breeder did as well, and I have always done with any of the cats I've had)

She is worst when I have visitors (they even remark on her saying that if she was theirs they'd give her a swift kick up the behind - and I feel like doing that at times!) and also when I am in the kitchen.

She is the only cat in the house.

What can I do to stop this annoying behaviour? I adore her to bits but I can't put up with this constant moaning that she gives.

Please help!

Oh, also, she always licks me too. Does that mean anything?

Regards,

Rebekah
Sounds like she loves her new mommy!!! One of my babies does the same thing, and yes it can bug you!!!!!!!!!!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're 'ad lib' feeding her, try 2-3 set mealtimes daily and see what happens. If she gets used to knowing she'll eat for sure at those times, but not otherwise, she may feel more secure about when she eats, and learn to leave you alone in between times. Mine become whiny leeches too if I start offering treats at all times!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's not been spayed yet I don't think you should let her out. She's old enough to get pregnant.

As to the talking - cats have individual personalities and some are just more talkative than others. You can't force a cat to be more independent than they're inclined to be - you have to accept them for what they are. How do you respond when she talks to you? If you respond directly to her you will re-inforce the behaviour. You could try withdrawing your attention to give her the message that whining does not get her food, cuddles etc. But you will probably just have to accept that you have an affectionate, talkative girl who likes to be with you and chat to you about life!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to mre that she is in heat, many females "whine and yowl" when in heat, after you get her spayed she should calm down quite a bit, I would try to keep her inside until your vet appointment, just so you don't have an accidental litter and have a few yowling cats to deal with
until you get her spayed, perhaps keep her in a darkened room with soft music, that might relax her too

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, why in the heck do you even WANT your cat to go outside? As a former breeder, I had in my contract that the cat had to be inside cat only - especially since its a purebred. And if you paid a lot of money for your cat why would you want it outside?

As far as the talking all the time, is your cat a siamese or oriental type? They are notorious talkers whether spayed or not. We have a mixed breed who I suspect has a lot of oriental type in the background (from our barn cats) and she never shuts up - always has her mouth running

I love siamese/orientals, but how do you all put up with the constant talking of more then one?

I think she's more vocal cause she's not spayed yet. If she's not coming into heat, etc. its just part of her personality. BTW what kind of purebred is she?

callygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As stated, she only goes outside when I am out, even if the doors and windows are wide open. Its something she prefers to do. And as I also have already stated, she does asleep in at nights, and will always sleep in at nights. So in this way she will never be an "always outdoors cat".

In one of my other posts, I also stated she was a Birman.

When I first noticed the loud howling, I thought it was attention she was needing so gave in to her demands for attention. When that wasnt working I figured I'd change plans and not give in to her when she whinging at me. But even that doesnt seem to be working to any advantage.

Since you guys seem to think she may be in season, Surely cats aren't in heat for several weeks?!
I've never seen her rub her behind on anything, or spraying.

Regards,

Rebekah

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats do have heats that last a while, or sometimes they will go in and out very quickly, and also if they are intact males around that will prolong her heats too, every cat is different I believe... but if you limit any stimulation, like I suggested keeping her in a darkened room with soft music, etc. she will be easier to deal with until her vet appt- good luck!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm far from being an expert on how cats behave when in heat (I've never had a female cat) but I believe at this time of year they can go in and out of heat so quickly that it's almost like being in heat constantly?