A very tough decision, life changed and I need to re home my cat ASAP. Northeast Florida area.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My life suddenly changed today and I'll need to rehome one of my cats. I've posted about her before and we're are working on her issues however I don't have the time now. I have a disabled relative coming to stay at my house and I cannot have an aggressive cat around. K is getting better with her issues but they are still there. She is a very lovable cat and she'll need someone with a lot of patience and understanding, but she would make someone an awesome cat and I'd love it to be me.

She started having issues when she saw a stray in the yard a little over a week ago, she attacked us, stalked the dog and attacked him, she did settle down a little while afterwards and has been on edge since the stray keeps coming back. She loves playing, she can get some air on her when she does. She's love to follow you around and would be your shadow. She'll also keep you warm by curling up in your lap and making sure you are licked dried after a shower.

This is a very heartbreaking decision since I raised her from a few weeks old, she is now four. But I honestly can't have her attacking my disabled family member, they wouldn't understand and would lash out and then it would be a very dire situation. I'm in northeast Florida near Southwest Georgia.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The chances of finding someone here who can take her are pretty slim, especially with what is happening in the world right now and people isolating themselves. Have you posted on Facebook and discussed with all your friends, called Rescues, etc. You might have better chances of finding a place locally in your area with rescues, although it's really tough to say. Best of luck to you :hugs:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I took only a couple of minutes to look at your other post, and understand there have been some issues between your cats and the dog. I also see where you were working on it and seeing some progress. I am sorry that another challenge has come along during the midst of your efforts. I am guessing this stray just caused a bit of a set back - causing re-directed aggression, and after K settles down some more, you will likely be back to the point in your progress where you were before. I have included an article (link below) about Redirected Aggression in case it might help you.

Is she indoor/outdoor? That will pose a bit more of a challenge as she would more likely continue to encounter this stray. If she is indoor only, you can try distraction methods to redirect her attention elsewhere when the stray shows up. You could also block view from wherever it is that she continues to see the cat. If you have neighbors, I would encourage you to ask if anyone knows who this cat might belong to - it might not actually be a stray. There are also tactics you can use in an attempt to keep the stray from coming close to your house. Chicken wire set on the ground for example outside the window/door this cat comes nearby might stop it from doing so, as most cats do not like the feel of the wire on their feet.

Maybe there are some other ideas in this article (see another link below) that you could try?

Unless you can find another relative or friend to adopt this cat, the odds are horrible for K - as mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens has suggested above. I hope you are able to keep your cat and wish you the best in taking care of your relative.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How to Keep a Stray Cat Away from Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is indoor only. I think what we did wrong was just not keeping the blinds closed and me being an idiot and giving them treats with the dog next to them who went for them, completely my fault. Normally, she gets on fine with the dog and other cat. She'll sleep right next to the dog no problems. So yeah, I think I made it seem she was just this totally aggressive and mean cat and she's not.

My family member is suppose to come next weekend. Authorities were called and I do believe they contacted Adult protective services so yeah, I have a lot to deal with right now. I can't give them both the proper time they're going to need. And I'm so scared, I'm scared if K hisses at him if he walks by and he freaks out, I could lose him. I'm in such a lose/lose situation right now, I don't know if I can survive it intact. I'm just so stressed that I can't eat or sleep.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there a chance that you can contain K in a special room? Cats can do quite well when they have their things, food and water, some toys, some cat music in a room that is set aside just for them ...you can look into more interactive toys, and cat trees and shelves, with bird feeders outside the window... plus if he's in his own room you'd be a little more relaxed knowing he's ok.

Then, if it becomes necessary, you could check on Nextdoor with a no-contact situation if someone is looking to foster a cat or take one in permanently. In addition, social distancing shouldn't be lasting more than a few more weeks.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have cat trees, we have two one in the living room and one in our bedroom. She has loads of toys, we keep having to buy new cat toys because she will chew the string off of Da Bird and she loves that toy, both cats will go nuts playing with it. The only room we have we could put her in, would be the room I'm rearranging for my relative to have when they come. Our bathroom is too small for her to be in, the other bathroom the relative will have to use. That leaves our bedroom, which all the animals sleep in at night and she would dart out as soon as I opened the door. The relative whose my sibling ( both parents are dead ) will more likely be here permanently.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That leaves our bedroom, which all the animals sleep in at night and she would dart out as soon as I opened the door.
For the night-time, can you squeeze in a bi-level cage big enough to have a small litterbox in, like a bunny cage or something similar?

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a large dog crate, I actually used that when she was just an itty bitty kitten so that the other two pets got used to her, which I have to say was amazingly useful tool for helping with introducing them all. The older cat has taken ownership of it and it's her's now. K will sleep on top of it. I cannot afford nor am I going to have room for it.

I know it sounds like I'm just throwing away ideas. I'm not. I'm having to think ahead of so many different situations and how I can handle everything that is coming at me.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That actually might work. Thinking on it a bit, I could possibly fit it into the bedroom, it'd be tight but it might go.

I'd still have the issue of my sibling reacting badly to K, I don't know if I would find it ideal to keep her locked in a room for the rest of her life, she is still young. Even worse situation is my sibling reacting badly to other cat and my dog, but they've been around my dog loads of times and my other cat is pretty chill and probably wouldn't go near my sibling.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if I would find it ideal to keep her locked in a room for the rest of her life, she is still young.
Bless your heart - you are such an incredible human being!! She will be ok certainly for a little while, some low volume cat music now and then, some toys, and as time goes on you may find that things with and for her are do-able.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm purely positive that we can work through her issues, she has shown such great improvement with how we changed to be better with all of them.

If my living situation wasn't changing, there would be no finding her a new home, that would be so far removed from who we are. I'm so scared of losing my sibling. I do not want them in the system. I have a lot of hard work ahead of me with them, finding them outlets and therapies, doctors and ensuring they can thrive in my house and be safe. It might be in the end I have to re-home both of my cats, I know my sibling is fine with dogs, cats are really iffy with them.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link. I've requested to join and I'm still waiting. It seems like my whole life is just a waiting game at this point. And I honestly really do not want to give up on her or give her up, so I'm hoping things work out.