A very jealous cat? how to work on this behavior?

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats who are siblings and both love each other. The problem is 1 of them is VERY territorial (cat 1) and I feel bad for my other cat (cat 2)

Cat 2 used to be VERY cuddly and sweet, always sitting on my lap but cat 1 gets very upset and would give the evil eye to cat 2. I noticed the last few months or so when I tried to get Cat 2 on my lap, they would look around slightly freaked out to see where cat 1 is and ONLY get on my lap if the other cat was sleeping.

Now Cat 1 has claimed me and sits on my lap constantly. But recently I was petting cat 2 (and cat 1) while cat 1 was on my lap, and cat 1 was "meowing" in an aggressive manner at cat 2 until cat 2 left. This is the same "meow" they use when attacking toys I have. I can't even pet cat 2 without cat 1 getting upset even when they are on my lap!!!

What do I do?? How to help work on this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple questions -- how old are they and are they both fixed?
They are both 1 year old and fixed.

Today cat 2 nearly got on my lap but hesitated and then ran off. Cat 1 sat on my lap again. I think there is clearly some sort of agreement or territorial issue now with my lap.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both 1 year old and fixed.

Today cat 2 nearly got on my lap but hesitated and then ran off. Cat 1 sat on my lap again. I think there is clearly some sort of agreement or territorial issue now with my lap.
Hello B BBirdcat , Cat 1 and Cat 2! Yes, it seems you do have a jealousy issue and since your lap is a very sought-after favorite place, you may always have this as an issue, to be honest. My two, Suha, 17, and Elvis, 14, have the same thing. Suha was rescued by me as a small feral kitten on our land, and Elvis was adopted at age 9 from a guy who needed to rehome him due to marriage to an allergic. Elvis is very territorial and prey-driven and will chase her, which she hates. There are times when there are problems with one wanting to be somewhere and the other wanting that space, too. But as long as they do not actually fight, I think that it's about the best we can do. Elvis has been with us since 2016 and I don't think anything will change. Interactive play helps some cats, and they will sometimes play with a wand toy at the same time, but it really has not resulted in any big changes to their interactions. I just accept that it is the way it is.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two are just like that, but they have worked out a sort of understanding. Mingo at first wouldn't let Lily sleep on my bed, but she's managed to come in anyway. Lily always lies in my lap, but Mingo now waits until she is preoccupied somewhere else, and then he claims my lap. She avoids him when he's in my lap. Mingo has staked out the spare bedroom, where I keep the computer, and she is simply not allowed there. He will chase her off if she does come in, so now she waits outside the door.

So they've chosen their battles, and yours probably will too. Until they work it out, I would give the jealous cat some extra attention so he/she will relax, feeling that you love him/her too.

Generally, my two are great friends. They play with each other and groom each other. But they still have their own preferences.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Darn that sucks.

Cat 2 was such a snuggly and lovable cat and I feel would be so happy being on my lap too :( They seem content with everything though so I guess that's ok. Cat 1 is just so jealous all the time, I guess maybe if I give them extra love it might get better I dont know

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn that sucks.

Cat 2 was such a snuggly and lovable cat and I feel would be so happy being on my lap too :( They seem content with everything though so I guess that's ok. Cat 1 is just so jealous all the time, I guess maybe if I give them extra love it might get better I dont know
Never say never. It could happen! Cats, like people, need time, patience, and love. They could eventually become close. In the meantime, yes, extra love sure never hurt, right? :happycat: :cloud9:

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never say never. It could happen! Cats, like people, need time, patience, and love. They could eventually become close. In the meantime, yes, extra love sure never hurt, right? :happycat: :cloud9:
They are close! just that 1 cat is very territorial. We'll see.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still having issues with this!!

Cat 1 hadn't sat on my lap in 2 weeks and sat down today for a while. 30 minutes later cat 2 was meowing and following me around and I put them on my lap. They liked it, but immediately 5 seconds later cat 1 pounced on them and started fighting them/chasing her until she was hiding in a corner. It was really sad and I couldn't do anything about it.

What should I do? I feel so bad for cat 2 that they can't enjoy the pleasure of sitting in my lap :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still having issues with this!!

Cat 1 hadn't sat on my lap in 2 weeks and sat down today for a while. 30 minutes later cat 2 was meowing and following me around and I put them on my lap. They liked it, but immediately 5 seconds later cat 1 pounced on them and started fighting them/chasing her until she was hiding in a corner. It was really sad and I couldn't do anything about it.

What should I do? I feel so bad for cat 2 that they can't enjoy the pleasure of sitting in my lap :(
As long as no one drew blood, I wouldn't worry too much. Cats, like people, have occasional squabbles and cats, like people, are mammals with complex emotions. Jealousy may very well be one.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's just sad. It would be such a loving cat if the other cat wasn't so jealous and possessive

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's just sad. It would be such a loving cat if the other cat wasn't so jealous and possessive
Well, but like humans, cats aren't ALWAYS just feeling one emotion. There have been many little spats between cats in our family, but for the most part, they don't stay that way!

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's true. They love each other, I wish there was a way that cat 1 would just be less possessive and jealous so cat 2 could get some love too!!

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like right now the resolution has been that cat 2 has just agreed not to sit on my lap :( hopefully things change!