A Tail Of 2 Kitties

Miville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 5 year old neutered male kitty cat last September.He is an absolute love bug at 20 healthy pounds and never leaves my side. The woman who surrendered him to the shelter actually had two kitties and they grew up together. She decided to keep the female up until about a week ago and the shelter contacted me to see if I'd be interested in adopting her. I don't know if this is a good idea at all. I certainly have the ability to take care of 2 Kitties, but Jax has become very attached to me and has become used to being the center of attention in the household. I really don't know how he would react if Coco all the sudden showed up again. The woman who has Coco seems to be indifferent as to whether or not she keeps her, which I think is horrible and is clearly pulling at my Heartstrings. I'm concerned that Jax will feel displaced in this might not be the happy reunion that I have pictured in my head. What to do? I'm torn because Coco is likely not in the best home, though not a bad one. Jack's is the one I adopted and he is just as happy as can be. Will they even know each other? They used to cuddle and run and play together, but that was a year ago and they haven't seen each other since. Any advice would be great.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitties, I’m glad you took one in and are thinking what is best for the other.

From what I’ve read, they may or may not recognize each other. If you did decide to adopt Coco, it would be best to follow the proper introduction steps that includes going slow with scent swapping, etc. (this site has some great articles) it’s likely they will be very close eventually, and Jax will learn to share you in time.

What’s great is you know they have the capability of getting along. They might need a period of adjustment before they cuddle up like they did before. Then again they might not need any time at all.

Good luck, it’s wonderful how you are thinking of a good solution for everyone involved.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would it be a terrible idea to do a trial run with coco? Explain to the shelter that you want to see how well they reintegrate with one another, and if there is any negativity coming from jax, that you may have to bring coco back.
You never know, they could remember one another and hit it off again almost immediately.
Good luck!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I would definitely try it! If you don't, you will always wonder what if. My boy cat is so friendly, he loves having a sister. Maybe put up a gate at first and see if they recognize each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor kitties, I’m glad you took one in and are thinking what is best for the other.

From what I’ve read, they may or may not recognize each other. If you did decide to adopt Coco, it would be best to follow the proper introduction steps that includes going slow with scent swapping, etc. (this site has some great articles) it’s likely they will be very close eventually, and Jax will learn to share you in time.

What’s great is you know they have the capability of getting along. They might need a period of adjustment before they cuddle up like they did before. Then again they might not need any time at all.

Good luck, it’s wonderful how you are thinking of a good solution for everyone involved.
Thank you SO much for our response and support! I now looks like I will be traveling to Maine this weekend to pick dear Coco up at the woman's house. Wish me luck! Again - thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I would definitely try it! If you don't, you will always wonder what if. My boy cat is so friendly, he loves having a sister. Maybe put up a gate at first and see if they recognize each other.
That is a great idea! I actually have become good friends with the woman who took care of Jax at the shelter and although dear Coco is still at the woman's house, I believe we have agreed that a trial basis might be ok. Thank you!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise