A Tail kink, and now lower back issues...

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom's cat, Pepper, has had a kink in her tail since we got her. I had suggested to her that it get repaired but she says "No, it looks too cute" or something like that...

Now, the cat is getting problems in her lower back, and is having difficulty making jumps where she didn't before.

Pepper has always hated getting her kinked tail touched, FAR more than any other cat that I've seen or had. I worry it's because she's in pain from it. And I strongly believe that the pain has caused her back issues. Mother thinks that taking her to a chiropractor will be a simple easy fix, but even if it fixes it, I think it will likely be only temporary.

The back issues: her last four vertebrae are sinking together. the last two are nearly fused-looking in the X-Rays.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem for cats with kinked tails?

I hope to convince mom that the cat needs her tail repaired, and that it will help the back problems too...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The first lift in her tail there, (going from the base) is the kink. It can casually sit at a 90 degree angle, without seeming to bother her, or flop over completely when held upright. I know that cats are good at hiding pain. That's why I worry.

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
-^_^-  thank you for that, at least. I don't know much about the tail kink things or what effects it might have. it's been a while now, and she still doesn't like her back to even be touched. she can get aggressive too if one isn't careful.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously she's been to the vet, if it's known that her vertebrae have fused. What does the vet think?

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, if I was told, I don't recall. Possible they didn't try to diagnose anything, as it's a place called "Vets for less" they don't do more than what they are required or requested. :/

EDIT: I'll ask her if they did say anything.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet, but it appears to me that your cat has lower spinal neurological problems associated with her kinked tail. How old is Pepper?

Can you put her X-Ray up on the Forum thread for us to see?

Whether you can put up the X-Ray or not, the ONLY thing that you can do to help Pepper is to take Pepper to a competent vet, NOT a chiropractor! Manipulating a cat's tail with neurological problems can only do harm; you certainly do not want a paraplegic cat - and it could be very painful.

With all best wishes, to you and Pepper,
Geoffrey

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it's related. Since your kitty came with this tail kink, it's likely congenital. Siamese-family and Burmese cats are susceptible to this (but it can occur in other cats as well), but it doesn't seem to cause them any movement or balance issues. She needs to see a vet about the fused vertebrae, surgery might be needed.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The fused vertebrae may be associated with neurological problems, there may be pressure on a nerve. It is important to see a vet.

@abyeb Where the kink was has not been made clear. I assumed that the deformity was associated with a kink near where the vertebrae were fused. If the kink was at the end of the tail than it would have been like the kink in the tail of a Siamese, and that would be harmless. Siamese, and Tonkinese (Siamese X Burmese cats) may have kinks, but the Cat Fancy have tried to breed them out. I have had two cats with kinks, William, our first Siamese and Kinky, a Tonkinese whom we bred from Simmy. an unkinked Siamese, and Susan, a Burmese. I don't pay any attention to the wishes of the Cat fancy!

Incidentally when I was in Thailand, I noticed that many alley cats had kinked tails. There is a story that a Siamese Princess had a pet cat with a kinked tail. When she went bathing the cat came with her and the Princess kept her rings safe on the cat's kinked tail and that is why all the cats in Siam (Thailand) had kinked tails.

With kind regards,
Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Last edited:

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It isn't completely fused, just near it. And I agree, she needs to be taken to vet. Mom doesn't think she was born with the kink, but that it was from a kitten-hood injury just before we got her. I'm pretty sure her back is in pain, because she gets annoyed when we try to pet it. We can really only pet her head and face and cheeks.

The reason I think the kink may have caused the back things, is because when I had a sore callous on my foot, it caused me to walk differently quite frequently, and that often caused my hip to ache, and then my back sometimes.
I can only imagine how years would feel with almost constant tail pain making one walk differently almost all the time.

I'm hoping to make a sufficient case before trying to talk to mom about it because I'm pretty sure she'll just get annoyed at me. It's usually what happens when I try to say something I feel is important that she feels strongly about. I guess it makes her feel like I don't trust her or something.