A surprise family. Asking for your help.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've recently been adopted by a quartet of strays in a matter of weeks and simply do not have the funds to get them spayed/neutered & vaccinated.  They are starting to become a family unit and while I hate to ask strangers for money like this, you do what you need to for them.  A brief version of their story is on their GoFundMe page:

Their full, ongoing story is chronicled here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/314008/strange-happenings

Please head the moderators warnings: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/69654/pleas-for-money and if you have any questions about what's going on or our situation please feel free to ask.  Certain details I may send in private if they are not suitable for public disclosure.  If you're not 100% comfortable, do not donate.

Thank you for any support, even if it's non-monetary like sharing the GoFundMe link.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you be willing to share pics of them right after they get neutered to show that they got fixed? Im guessing girls would have a shaved belly or something.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely.  I'll chronicle the whole thing and provide pictures + scans of receipts.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Left you the first small donation.  Hope others will help a little bit.  Keep promoting it to everyone you know too and on this site.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help.  We appreciate it so much and it was very generous, it gets us 1/3rd of the way to the first spay/neuter.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Junior just got his neutering funding!  Thank you!

The reason we picked him is that if we need to keep them inside to keep from getting pregnant, he is the only one who can upset that plan.  He's also the youngest & least emotionally scarred so the sooner we can get him sticking around home more the better off he'll be in the long term.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what services are in your area, but my county has a low cost spay/neuter program. Males are $35 and females are $41.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what services are in your area, but my county has a low cost spay/neuter program. Males are $35 and females are $41.
Hes in canada. And because of the exchange rate $70cad is like 50 something usd. Which is normal. My aspca charges 50 or 55.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I posted that, I went and looked for your other thread and got caught up to speed on your story. I hope that everything works out for you. How generous it was for you to take that family in. 

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just left you a tiny bit.  Wish it were more, darned fixed income.  If the campaign is still active on the 16th of March, I'll add a little to it.  I have a check coming in then.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much @Mamanyt1953, the donation you made is more than generous, please do not put yourself out!  We've been getting more support than we ever expected and the last thing we'd want is to burden anyone.  That 'tiny bit' gets us almost half way to Sissy's spaying - not a tiny thing at all.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the GoFundMe campaign someone contacted us about a possible subsidy which MAY allow us to cut somewhere between $150-210 ($37.50-52.50 per cat) from the medical expenses.  I'm just waiting to hear back from the organization for confirmation of our eligibility & final costs.  If it's confirmed we'll be setting up Juniors appointment with them asap, if not we'll be setting up the appointment with THS and that's 3-4 weeks out typically.  I'll be reducing the GoFundMe accordingly if it is confirmed.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been keeping the http://www.thecatsite.com/t/314008/strange-happenings up to date.  They're doing great though.  Sissy and Mama are complete house cats now.  Junior we had a bit of a problem with him disappearing for days tomcatting but keeping him inside after sunset keeps him close to home.  Missy coming along really well, she's still a bit tentative & hasn't quite given up the stray life but based on the milestones with the other cats she's not far from choosing to stay on her own.  Today all 4 cats napped together for 3-4 hours which is what we've found is the biggest hurdle in the process - once they're comfortable enough to sleep, they're ours

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Just left you a tiny bit.  Wish it were more, darned fixed income.  If the campaign is still active on the 16th of March, I'll add a little to it.  I have a check coming in then.
Went there, did that again.  Your little family just tickles me.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been dying to tell everyone this for weeks but I didn't want to say anything until we were 100% sure that it was going to happen.  Today it did.

Thanks to the GoFundMe someone got in touch with us about a program the City of Toronto offers to residents to not only spay/neuter & vaccinate but also microchip and license stray and feral cats. The program scales to income and resulted in 100% of the fees being waived.  We have just contacted GoFundMe to request that all of your donations, that were so greatly appreciated, to be refunded in full.  It may take 2-5 business days to be refunded to your card.

I cannot express how grateful we were that complete strangers were willing to help out with these cats.  It really meant a lot that they'd be able to get the care they needed to be in a happy home. 

Edit: Here's confirmation:

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What wonderful news for you!  I can't tell you how thrilled I am.  Many cities have programs like this, but it can be amazingly hard to locate them.  I'll take the refund and send it to the ASPCA in The Toronto Strays" name.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

What wonderful news for you!  I can't tell you how thrilled I am.  Many cities have programs like this, but it can be amazingly hard to locate them.  I'll take the refund and send it to the ASPCA in The Toronto Strays" name.
You have no idea how hard... the program was listed as "ferals only", spay/neuter only, etc. we first contacted them about it February 17th and it took until March 31st to be approved because everyone kept being like 'we don't deal with this' or 'we don't know what this is' and the vaccine/microchip/license was all undocumented (just had to talk to the right person).

Junior is home now, all fixed and for such a glutton he's surprisingly skinny.  The vet was like "he'll be drowsy, want to pee, won't want to eat, won't want to jump, etc" of course Junior being Junior, he's looking to scarf down any food he can find, wasn't interested in the litter box, first thing he does is jump up on the heater, and is crazy active.  We're doing what we can to calm him get him to rest but he seems completely unphased by the surgery.