A Seemingly Always Pregnant Cat And A Kitten

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi folks. I have been feeding this mama white street cat I named Snow White for several months now since I moved to this new flat with my two rescue cats. The thing is, this cat seems to be pregnant all the time. I remember she lost all her babies just a few weeks back. How did I know? Because the building where my flat is smelled awfully bad after she gave birth somewhere, and I never saw the kittens. The smell was that of decomposition until the tenants complained to have the building thoroughly cleaned. Then, just after several weeks she gave birth again. I always suspected she was again pregnant because she seemed too heavy when I carried her. Then I saw this little kitten (same color, plain white) stuffed inside a carton under the stairs on the ground floor of the building. At first I did not know whose it was, then Snow White came running to me frantically while I was holding the kitty. My husband made a small cat house for them just outside our kitchen, so she would not have to enter the building itself, and to protect the kitten from the elements.

My question after a long story: When can I take the kitten from the mommy? It was only last November 17th when I took her from that box, its eyes still closed so I assumed she was just one or two days old then. Now is the 5th of December. I am planning to have it adopted out (or possibly keep it so my Barley and Bourbon will have a new playmate) as soon as she is ready to be separated from the mom. Then I will have to bring Snow White and have her spayed so she would stop having litters once and for all.

Additional story: This morning I had quite a good smile. When I peeked inside the cat house the kitten was already sitting, one paw on the "window" sill. Very cute sight. But when I tried to touch her/him, there was a hiss! One feisty tiny animal I got in here!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens should not be separated from the mother until they are at least 8 weeks old, and preferably 12 weeks. The kitten should be spayed or neutered at 12 weeks also.

You’ll need to begin handling the kitten in spite of the hissing so that it does not learn to fear humans.

Does the mother cat go outside? She needs to stay inside so she does not get pregnant again. You can spay her when the kitten is 6-8 weeks old, so around the end of December. The sooner the better.

Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic nearby?

If you can post a picture of the kitten it would help to estimate its age.

Thank you for caring for these kitties!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can handle the kitten and foster you can wait this minimum 8 weeks together with momma.

But if you cant, you must take it earlier! Because fostering is much easier than. 5 weeks?

It depends also if you are able and willing to do some handraising.

Kittens from shy semiferales are one of the few exceptions from the holy rule of minimum 8 weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How friendly is the mama cat? If she's reasonably friendly, the kitten should stay with her for about 10 weeks. If she's wild or unfriendly, take the kitten at 5 or 6 weeks or it will be difficult to tame him/her. Now that the kitten is older, try to handle him/her every day for a few minutes.

The mama cat can be spayed once the kitten is eating solid food, depending on your vet. But hurry! She'll get pregnant again soon. Since she's so constantly pregnant, it may be necessary to spay her in early pregnancy. It's unpleasant but sometimes it needs to be done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens should not be separated from the mother until they are at least 8 weeks old, and preferably 12 weeks. The kitten should be spayed or neutered at 12 weeks also.

You’ll need to begin handling the kitten in spite of the hissing so that it does not learn to fear humans.

Does the mother cat go outside? She needs to stay inside so she does not get pregnant again. You can spay her when the kitten is 6-8 weeks old, so around the end of December. The sooner the better.

Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic nearby?

If you can post a picture of the kitten it would help to estimate its age.

Thank you for caring for these kitties!
Yes there is a government vet clinic here, where I bring most of the rescues I have had before I get them adopted out. The only problem is the schedule since the govt vet only opens in the morning till noon, and during that time I am at work and usually cannot "escape". I have also ran out of excuses, but I will try to make time for Snow White as I really do not want her to have babies anymore. I let her in the house once in a while when I am around, but without me in the house I cannot risk the life of my rescue budgies (yes somebody also abandoned their budgies and I had to step in!). My two indoor cats do not harm my birds, not sure with Snow White, though.

Shall keep an eye on the little kitty as once she learns to leave that cat house and run around it is dangerous out there. Our flat is in a busy road and I have seen a lot of cats/kittens ran over on an almost regular basis here. :(

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
How friendly is the mama cat? If she's reasonably friendly, the kitten should stay with her for about 10 weeks. If she's wild or unfriendly, take the kitten at 5 or 6 weeks or it will be difficult to tame him/her. Now that the kitten is older, try to handle him/her every day for a few minutes.

The mama cat can be spayed once the kitten is eating solid food, depending on your vet. But hurry! She'll get pregnant again soon. Since she's so constantly pregnant, it may be necessary to spay her in early pregnancy. It's unpleasant but sometimes it needs to be done.
Snow White the momma cat is way toooo friendly. She is really very sweet. My husband built a small cat house for them as the climate here gets too harsh (Middle East) particularly during the summer. I hope I can also find someone to adopt her before the summer begins in a couple of months. Shall also try to bring her to the government vet clinic to have her spayed. For now I have no time as I am working and the vet only opens till noon. My current employers are not that understanding unlike the ones I had before.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
If you can handle the kitten and foster you can wait this minimum 8 weeks together with momma.

But if you cant, you must take it earlier! Because fostering is much easier than. 5 weeks?

It depends also if you are able and willing to do some handraising.

Kittens from shy semiferales are one of the few exceptions from the holy rule of minimum 8 weeks.
The last time I carried the kitty inside the house was two nights ago. It was still not standing upright, and cried a loooot. Lol. It only stopped when one of my cats licked its ears. I am willing to foster her/him until I find a forever home for her/him. I have already managed to adopt out several kittens before. I do hope I won't fail this little one.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring mom and kitten inside and keep them in a room away from your birds? Even a bathroom would be better than outside.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring mom and kitten inside and keep them in a room away from your birds? Even a bathroom would be better than outside.
I am in the Middle East and living in this overly-expensive tiny studio flat so there are no other rooms for the mommy and kitty to place them separately. Unless I give up my budgies (Freddie and Mercury), Snow White cannot stay inside without my watch. Currently they have a small cat house which my husband built for them, just outside our kitchen, where there is sufficient shading during the day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is adorable! She does not appear old enough to be separated from the mother.

Can your husband get Snow White into the clinic for a spay later this month?

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Look at this little kitty now. At first she/he hissed again at me but when she/he got accustomed to my touch became relaxed. Don’t know how to determine the gender, though.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable! She does not appear old enough to be separated from the mother.

Can your husband get Snow White into the clinic for a spay later this month?
My husband and I work at the same company under this very strict employer. But we will make time, and ASAP.