A Robot Walks Into A Grocery Store...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my co-workers lives near me and does her grocery shopping at the same supermarket I go to. She said she was there the other day with her BF and showed him Marty since he had never seen Marty before. Marty was in his parking spot and my co-worker and her BF were standing by Marty talking. I guess the BF said Marty's eyes could be recording everything and my co-worker said that they're just fake googly eyes. At that moment, Marty started beeping and rolled out of his parking spot, I guess for his evening stroll around the store :lol: It kind of scared the BF :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We were at the store yesterday. They announced "Aisle 17 for clean-up" and I said to Rick, "Let's go see Marty!" He was there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol:

I thought I read an article that said that Marty's automated voice to warn shoppers of a spill / mess / whatever on the floor is a female one :think: "Marty" is generally considered a male name but there are women who are named "Marty" (given name or nickname) like that character in the movie Grease.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's easier and less messy to ask the store manager if they plan on getting a robot :) Not all stores within a chain will have robots. Not sure if they select stores based on some criteria :dunno:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's easier and less messy to ask the store manager if they plan on getting a robot :) Not all stores within a chain will have robots. Not sure if they select stores based on some criteria :dunno:
My sister and b/l deliver bread for Giant and they said they have never seen the robot in our store. So I guess they don't have one. I was just kidding about making a mess. LOL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We stopped in last night on the way home from visiting with Rick's mom. Marty was "sleeping". :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If robots have genders, Marty is not a male. I was at the supermarket yesterday and Marty was having a bad day, flashing yellow and warning customers to use caution a few times while I was shopping. The voice for the warning is an unmistakable female voice. Marty is generally considered a male name but it can be a female name, like that character in the movie Grease.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who knew robots have birthdays? :lol: Marty, the robot at Stop and Shop, is celebrating his first birthday on January 25 from 10 am to 2 pm in participating Stop and Shop stores.

Marty.jpg

Since there are Marty robots at other chain supermarkets, check your local supermarket flyer for any mention of a birthday party 🎂:party:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Me too :agree: I don't see him roaming too often, though. I usually go right when the store opens and Marty is still in his parking spot. He doesn't start "working" until 9 am or so.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The birthday bot is inviting everyone to his party next Saturday :party::party2:Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend :disappointed: I will be able to go grocery shopping when the store opens at 8 am but then I have to spend a good chunk of the morning at the vet hospital with both cats (just check ups).

The web site has more inf on Marty and what his job is, which is to only notify employees about spills that need to be cleaned up and not for security or video recording: Meet Marty | Stop & Shop

20200118_081131.jpg

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Believe me, Marty is doing something else besides looking and cleaning up spills. You could send him a birthday card, if I sent one I'm sure it would have plenty of expletives! 😈

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Robots have now taken over 411, the telephone number you call for information in the United States of America. They don't work if you don't have perfect teeth and perfect, undamaged vocal cords.

I think the expectation is that everybody has to carry a smartphone:

and use the google corporation's ad-supported search engine if they want to find out how to report a power outage, talk to a long-distance friend, inquire about the availability of a product at a local brick-and-mortar store, etc.

It isn't socially acceptable to question this so I don't recommend doing so in daily life. Just between you and me, I'm not a huge fan, though[1]. ;)

I love my area, but we don't have enough housing and jobs for new residents. I'm just bragging that we have a local alternative to 411 here that is staffed with real human beings who can find you the information you need without making you feel obsolete and useless.

The self-checkout machines arrived a year or so ago and I do see busy parents and workers on their lunch breaks using them, so I make a point of thanking the cashiers at the grocery store for their time and reminding them that their jobs are important and they are worth more than their paychecks.

I am so sorry that so many of you are having to deal with even more robots than I do. I will try harder to be grateful for what I have and to do less public complaining.

[1] about - OpenPandora searx JMP - JIDs for Messaging with Phones F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository Replicant

Last edited:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree. It is extremely annoying to always get a flippin' computer, I get so frustrated. I hate how machines are everywhere and they have taken millions of jobs away from live people who deserve them. I'd much rather deal with humanity.♥It is REAL life and it is often forgotten that conversation is a Privilege.