Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

A Robot Walks Into A Grocery Store...

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by LuvDeezKittez, Jan 31, 2019.

1. LuvDeezKittez

LuvDeezKittez Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 21, 2019
    Maryland
    So I went to the grocery store yesterday and ran into their newest employee... a robot named "Marty". It's like 7 feet tall with giant googly eyes and wears a nametag.
    :noway:
    I'm not even kidding. It's job is to patrol the store constantly looking for spills.

Wanna see what I'm talking about??

Lots of people love him- I mean, technology is cool and all. BUT. I AM TERRIFIED. :fear:
    I thought about knocking over some spaghetti sauce to distract him when he started coming towards me in the aisle. :running:

Do we really need this America? Can't we spend the money on something else? I'm sure we could all come up with something if we reeeeaaallllly put our heads together, right? :grouphug:

Well, there it is folks. Marty the Spill Alerting Robot (and no he doesn't actually clean the spills he just lets off an alarm to scare the piss out of you *ahem* I mean to alert you to the problem)

So, what do you think? Let me know:
    1. Do you have a robot at YOUR grocery store?
    2. What do you think of grocery robots? Creepy? Helpful? :dunno:
    3. What would you rather see the money go towards?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
    maggie101, nurseangel and marmoset purraised this.

2. LuvDeezKittez

Jan 21, 2019
    Maryland
    Here's a picture of what I'm talking about..
    multiplemartys.jpg

aliceneko purraised this.

3. Wile

Wile Opener of cans Alpha Cat

Aug 22, 2018
    Canada
    Wow, it is amazing how a pair of googly eyes can make you feel completely different about a giant vacuum cleaner. I wonder how they justify the cost. Surely it can't just be looking for spills right? It must also do some kind of surveillance?

LuvDeezKittez purraised this.

4. neely

neely May the purr be with you Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    Does he pick up hitch hikers in the store? :flail: Sorry I couldn't help myself.

LuvDeezKittez and mama africa purraised this.

5. Norachan

Norachan Moderator Staff Member Moderator

May 27, 2013
    Mount Fuji, Japan
    I live in Japan, people over here are obsessed with the horrid things. I keep telling them Robots are evil! But they don't listen to me.

They have robots to greet customers in a lot of stores. They used to be right by the front door, but these days I've noticed they're being tucked away further back. I guess the staff are getting tired of them too.

They even have a robot disguised as a seal to keep dementia patients happy in Old People's Homes.

Does that strike anyone else as odd? Dementia patients are already feeling quite confused.

"Where am I, where's my family and what am I doing hugging a seal?"

:headshake:

I'd rather see the money going towards the salary of real, human members of staff who might need a job. Or adopting real live pets from shelters to keep the old people company.

rgwanner, LuvDeezKittez and white shadow purraised this.

6. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    I've never seen anything like that in our local grocery store (Publix) and I hope I never do.

LuvDeezKittez and islander purraised this.

7. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    When I was reading the OP, I was thinking that, OK, it's a robot, but how bad can it be? Really. Then I saw the second post, gulped, and thought, "Oh yeah, that's just wrong!". IMO, they're not on the floor just to monitor spills; I would think they're too expensive for that. They have to be doing some kind of surveillance.

As Norachan said, I'd rather see the money going to people for good wages and benefits. Even WalMart uses people as greeters (or at least they used to; it's been ages since I was in a WM).

muffy, mani, LuvDeezKittez and 1 other person purraised this.

8. Kat0121

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    WM doesn't use greeters anymore. Not around here at least. I haven't been in one in a long time either but they were already gone last time I was in one. I agree that the money could go to creating jobs with benefits.

9. islander

islander TCS Member Adult Cat

Feb 1, 2019
    Makes me glad I am here in deepest rural Ireland!

10. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Huh, Walmarts here still have greeters. Usually elderly or disabled people. Having Mavis LOOK at you cuts down on shoplifting, so I'm told.

I can't see how a spill-finding robot could possibly be cost-effective. Hire a teenager to walk the aisles looking for spills for minimum wage; they can even clean it up! So the robots must have some other purpose too.

LuvDeezKittez and Kflowers purraised this.

11. m3rma1d

m3rma1d NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Super Cat

Oct 12, 2018
    Maine
    Gross.

muffy purraised this.

12. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    A small child would be scared of it. Not good for business.
    My son is 6'6" and small children will look up at him...and run. No joke, and he's human. Imagine a small child seeing this thing coming at him/her.

muffy, LuvDeezKittez and Kflowers purraised this.

13. LuvDeezKittez

Jan 21, 2019
    Maryland
    Here's the article with more information on the robot roll-out from our local newspaper, the Baltimore Sun: Meet Marty

Right now it's just happening in a few select states like Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania but it's a nationwide launch of 500+ robots to Giant Food, Stop&Shop, and Martin's grocery stores! So get ready for yours soon! :help:
    legopanic.gif
    I think my husband said it best, "So lemme get this straight...the robot's job isn't to fix the problem, it just tells humans what to do." Great, just what I wanted. A box of circuits telling me what my problems are. ::: DEEP SIGH::: :headshake: :frustrated:

14. Kat0121

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    I don't think we have any of those stores in Florida (thankfully). The only grocery stores we have in or are are Publix and Winn Dixie.

15. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    Customers at Publix and Winn Dixie and, I'll bet, Kroger are happy to alert staff members to spills, misplaced items, missing items, out of date foods...

I think I've got it. Customers are told the robots will alert to spills in the hope of keeping customers from telling employees about spills and other things. Dream on, customers are on the job and won't be denied.

I think it's horrible. I guess it's supposed to be cute, but I've got to say those things would make me shop elsewhere.

16. weebeasties

weebeasties TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 14, 2016
    Florida
    I'm a huge Futurama fan, so I sorta love this. The only thing that would make it better is to see it chugging beer and pushing "meatbags" out of the way while muttering "Kill all humans" to itself.

17. Maria Bayote

Maria Bayote Mama of 4 Cats, 3 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans Super Cat

Jan 15, 2018
    Doha
    It is much better if there is a happy cat or a dog riding around on it. Customers would be a lot pleased.

18. LuvDeezKittez

Jan 21, 2019
    Maryland
    haha, yep.. not far off though. BTW-- you can have my store's robot. Can't be too hard to kidnap, er, robot-nap.

weebeasties purraised this.

19. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    It must be there to watch for shoplifting. There aren't enough spills in most grocery stores to justify the cost of the robots. If it cleaned them up, that would be helpful, but still doesn't justify the costs.

misty8723 purraised this.

20. muffy

muffy TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    No, but I do not shop at Giant too much. I think they are creepy and would rather the money go towards a human with a working.