A raccoon keeps stealing our outside cat food

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We live on the edge of a wooded area in a suburb and we care for 2 stay cats. Both are fixed and we've been feeding them for years. We have always had a lot of suburban wide life (foxes, raccoons, deer, and even the occasional bear), so we NEVER leave food out at night so as not to attract problem animals. We've always had raccoons around but usually only at night.

My routine is that when I get up in the morning around 7:30am I put out some wet food, dry food, and clean water for the outside cats. They know the routine and are usually waiting for me to feed them. They might eat a bit as they come and go throughout the day, but that's their routine and also the only time they're likely to get some wet food as I don't leave that out all day for bugs and bees.

Now all of a sudden we have a raccoon coming around in the morning AFTER I put the food out! He does not seem aggressive or sick in any way. And he's VERY friendly and not scared enough to be chased off when we come outside to stop him from eating the food. It doesn't help that my spouse has amazing animal energy so squirrels and even raccoons often come right up to her.

We don't hate raccoons and we don't want to be terribly mean to them, but we don't want them out in the daytime eating the cat food. Any advice on how to make this stop?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you could try to transition the 2 kitties into being your kitties and bring them in?
If they are not able to be "indoor cats", perhaps build an enclosure to house the food where only they can fit in the opening?
Or perhaps if you have a porch or sunroom...you could install a cat door big enough for them but too small for the racoon. I know the racoons around my house are at least twice the size of my cats...
I read that racoons hate the smell of cucumber plants...maybe you could plant cucumbers around the perimeter of your property, or at least in the areas where he seems to be coming from, and see if that helps to discourage him from coming around...if it doesn't work, you'll at least have a nice crop of cucumbers to eat...of course that doesn't help you now but next planting season it could be something to try.
If it's just one racoon, you could try to trap him and have him relocated...obviously seek a professional so you know how to go about it.

IDK, it's hard to implement deterrents that won't stress out the cats as well....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We can't touch the outside cats-- they are essentially feral. And even though I've done TNR and have worked a lot with ferals, I have 2 elderly cats in kidney failure and just cannot bring any new cats in right now.

We don't have any kind of porch or shed or garage. Not sure about cucumbers. It's an idea but I have a black thumb!

We've thought about relocating. So that might be an option. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I understand it, while raccoons can climb, they are lousy jumpers. If you can elevate a food station for your cats, that might work. Something the cats can jump up onto, but not the raccoon.

You could also consider setting up a raccoon feeding station farther away in your yard and hope that is enough to keep them from eating 'their' food and then coming up closer to eat your stray cats' food.

Tbh, we had two different raccoons - at two different times - that came into our yard, in broad daylight, and were not afraid of us at all. But, since they can climb they were able to get to one of our bird feeders and wreak havoc. It was our opinion they were being, or had been, fed by others which 'somewhat tamed' them. We had no choice but to trap and relocate them.

I did find this, but don't know how easy or hard it would be to replicate.
Raccoon Resistant Proof Outdoor Cat Feeding Shelter Stations - Ark Workshop

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing that has ever stop raccoons at my house was having a microchip cat door the raccoons couldn't go through. They can be very determined critters.

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We live on the edge of a wooded area in a suburb and we care for 2 stay cats. Both are fixed and we've been feeding them for years. We have always had a lot of suburban wide life (foxes, raccoons, deer, and even the occasional bear), so we NEVER leave food out at night so as not to attract problem animals. We've always had raccoons around but usually only at night.

My routine is that when I get up in the morning around 7:30am I put out some wet food, dry food, and clean water for the outside cats. They know the routine and are usually waiting for me to feed them. They might eat a bit as they come and go throughout the day, but that's their routine and also the only time they're likely to get some wet food as I don't leave that out all day for bugs and bees.

Now all of a sudden we have a raccoon coming around in the morning AFTER I put the food out! He does not seem aggressive or sick in any way. And he's VERY friendly and not scared enough to be chased off when we come outside to stop him from eating the food. It doesn't help that my spouse has amazing animal energy so squirrels and even raccoons often come right up to her.

We don't hate raccoons and we don't want to be terribly mean to them, but we don't want them out in the daytime eating the cat food. Any advice on how to make this stop?
Can you put the cat food up on a large table -- like an outdoor folding table (they have some on Amazon), if not an existing wood one? One with metal folding legs won't be very appealing to a racoon to try to climb, and may make the cat feel safer, as well - as previously stated, cats like to be high up anyway.

We live in a similar area with a similar situation, and black bears are a problem - until it gets cold enough that they are hibernating.

Racoon repellents: Peppermint oil, coffee grounds, chili pepper, cayenne pepper, epsom salt, ammonia, vinegar, fragrant soaps. <- Of course, as Jem said, you don't want to repel the cats at the same time...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We have a regular raccoon visitor too. He's been coming round for dinner almost every for about four years now. The good news is that raccoons are territorial. If you have a friendly raccoon they will chase away other raccoons who might be aggressive to your cats.

Our cats are indoor/enclosure only, but the raccoon worked out how to get in through the cat door and started helping himself to their food.

Making him his own feeding station away from where the cats eat will stop him bothering them.

I leave our raccoon his own water bowl outside and make him a sandwich. Raccoons love sweet, sticky things. A peanut butter and dry cat food sandwich takes him a while to eat. Another thing he likes is a jar or bottle just big enough to get his paw in with some dry food in the bottom. I use a ceramic jar that's too heavy for him to pick up, so he spends a long time fishing around for the food that's in the bottom.

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom has the same problem. For some reason, these raccoon moms always show up at my mom's house after they had the babies and a lot of times in broad daylight! There used to be a raccoon that would even take naps in her backyard after eating. My mom has the raccoons eat in the backyard and the stray cats in the front. Raccoons are so smart, my parents will point to the backyard and they will immediately understand. They are also always so friendly, I mean really friendly. I remember being at my mom's house this one time, before she even started feeding the stray cats, a raccoon showed up in the front yard. I opened the door to shoosh him away and he thought it was an invite to come over. Even started pawing at the door with puppy eyes after I closed it.

Gelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar problem to you and it is escalating. We live in a suburb as well and are surrounded by all sorts of wild life. This was never a problem until we started feeding feral cats almost a year ago. Now we have raccoons, skunks, foxes, possums, etc showing up after dark looking for food and it is becoming a big problem. We tried to get our feral cats on an earlier schedule but they turn up when they are ready for dinner and it varies from evening to evening. We feed them wet and dry cat food in the front of our house because we have a dog who uses the backyard. I worry constantly that our neighbors will see the wildlife on our front lawn and complain that we are bringing vermin around. It's bad enough that some neighbors have seen me disappearing behind bushes with cat bowls, talking (to cats that they can't see) and probably think I'm a weirdo. I can live with that but I don't want to become known as the neighbor who brings rabid animals into their neighborhood.

We never had a problem in the morning as all the wild life is gone by 5.30am, but this morning, when I opened the door there was a raccoon on my doorstep and he tried to walk in! I had to slam the door shut quickly. My feral cats were outside waiting to be fed but every time I opened the door, the raccoon tried to get in. When I thought the coast was clear I went outside with the food but the raccoon came out of nowhere, running straight for me and I had to run inside as fast as I could.

My dog was barking inside the door and at the window but that didn't deter the raccoon, nor did throwing water out the window. However, all the barking and yelling scared the cats off. I finally threw some soapy water out and he ran off, came back one more time then finally took off for good. My ferals never came back for their breakfast and I am very upset about it. We have had stubborn raccoons in the past who won't leave but never one who tried to get in the house. I am nervous about tomorrow morning and also worried that our feral cats won't come back.

I've heard peppermint works to get rid of raccoons but I can only imagine how the cats will feel about that.

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem to you and it is escalating. We live in a suburb as well and are surrounded by all sorts of wild life. This was never a problem until we started feeding feral cats almost a year ago. Now we have raccoons, skunks, foxes, possums, etc showing up after dark looking for food and it is becoming a big problem. We tried to get our feral cats on an earlier schedule but they turn up when they are ready for dinner and it varies from evening to evening. We feed them wet and dry cat food in the front of our house because we have a dog who uses the backyard. I worry constantly that our neighbors will see the wildlife on our front lawn and complain that we are bringing vermin around. It's bad enough that some neighbors have seen me disappearing behind bushes with cat bowls, talking (to cats that they can't see) and probably think I'm a weirdo. I can live with that but I don't want to become known as the neighbor who brings rabid animals into their neighborhood.

We never had a problem in the morning as all the wild life is gone by 5.30am, but this morning, when I opened the door there was a raccoon on my doorstep and he tried to walk in! I had to slam the door shut quickly. My feral cats were outside waiting to be fed but every time I opened the door, the raccoon tried to get in. When I thought the coast was clear I went outside with the food but the raccoon came out of nowhere, running straight for me and I had to run inside as fast as I could.

My dog was barking inside the door and at the window but that didn't deter the raccoon, nor did throwing water out the window. However, all the barking and yelling scared the cats off. I finally threw some soapy water out and he ran off, came back one more time then finally took off for good. My ferals never came back for their breakfast and I am very upset about it. We have had stubborn raccoons in the past who won't leave but never one who tried to get in the house. I am nervous about tomorrow morning and also worried that our feral cats won't come back.

I've heard peppermint works to get rid of raccoons but I can only imagine how the cats will feel about that.
Interesting as I had replied to this thread to try to be helpful - BEFORE I knew we had raccoons on the front porch here! I didn't know until I got a wildlife camera, and caught two ADORABLE baby raccoons on camera - and in person. They looked at me so innocently - and I chased them off, feeling badly as I did so - where was the mom?

For now, when all the porch lights are on, they stay away. But the ferals (well, one Tom that took over, recently) don't always arrive by then.

I am thinking I will need to follow what S suh and Norachan Norachan said: I will need to feed them somewhere away from the front porch - with apples and peanut butter or something. The good thing is, they will help keep mice away (which I just saw that I now have, too!).... and they get along great with cats, from everything I have read. They live about a year in the wild, and 15 years in captivity. Look up "rescuing baby raccoons" - it will melt your heart.

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom has the same problem. For some reason, these raccoon moms always show up at my mom's house after they had the babies and a lot of times in broad daylight! There used to be a raccoon that would even take naps in her backyard after eating. My mom has the raccoons eat in the backyard and the stray cats in the front. Raccoons are so smart, my parents will point to the backyard and they will immediately understand. They are also always so friendly, I mean really friendly. I remember being at my mom's house this one time, before she even started feeding the stray cats, a raccoon showed up in the front yard. I opened the door to shoosh him away and he thought it was an invite to come over. Even started pawing at the door with puppy eyes after I closed it.
They do have the most innocent, sweetest look. They trust you 100% at first sight. I felt SO bad chasing them away, but I had to... but now I'm thinking I need to find a place to feed them. How will they find it, though - and not attract the bears, etc? :/

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do have the most innocent, sweetest look. They trust you 100% at first sight. I felt SO bad chasing them away, but I had to... but now I'm thinking I need to find a place to feed them. How will they find it, though - and not attract the bears, etc? :/
Oof, we don't have bears around, hope you find a way to deter the bears. We sprinkle peanuts in the backyard everyday so the raccoons know to scavenge there and just started leaving meals out for them regularly.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Living in the Pocono mts I have all the above mentioned coming to my deck to eat. I put the raccoons food on one side of my door, often using dog food that our dog doesn't like, and the cats food on the other side. I have 12 resident ferals around my home and 2 others that show up only after dark around 11 pm so I do have to leave food out. Racoons will eat anything, I heard they are called "garbage pandas". I like the idea of food in a heavy jar to keep them occupied awhile, also peanut butter sandwiches. This year I have a mama who started out with 4 kits but eventually ended up with only 2 and they are so fat due to the regular meals they are getting. I have no good suggestion other than those already mentioned, I just gave up and feed them all.