A question about my cat biting me…

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m new here but have been ‘stalking’ to try and find an an answer😊 - my cat started biting me about 6 weeks ago. She was a stray that I took in so not sure of her age, vet thinks she’s around 16-17 months now. She was about 3-4 months when she arrived and I had her spayed when Covid restrictions allowed. My cat and I live by ourselves and my job keeps me away 30 hrs at a time, 3 times one week, 2 times the next week, and rotates so she’s home alone a lot. I do believe she’s adjusted to the schedule well. So for the biting, she’ll come to me and jump up in my lap, she goes for bare skin, usually my ankles (usually up on the footstool) and bite out of the clear blue sky. She’s drawn blood. I’ve found out ways to handle this from the forum (thank you for that!),…but my question is-will she outgrow this? Is it a ‘stage’? I’m thinking it’s a dominance thing because it’s really more her house than mine?, but I’m not positive. Any help is so appreciated!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she draw blood often? What does her mood seem like when she does it?

My cats like to have a chomp when they're trying to "remind" me of something, like feeding them or something else they want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she draw blood often? What does her mood seem like when she does it?

My cats like to have a chomp when they're trying to "remind" me of something, like feeding them or something else they want.
I’ll try to answer as best I can.
She’s drawn blood 3 times. Mostly when this was just beginning. Now I can usually recognize when she’s going to bite but it’s so inconsistent. Yet it does happen every day. For about 6 weeks now. I sit in my recliner when I sit and she likes to sleep on the footstool part between my legs. Before she settles down to sleep she sometimes will start with a sniff of my ankle skin. She’s only ever bitten my bare skin. Now with her first sniff I’m on high alert but she’s quick! It goes sniff, lick, bite! I try to catch it by ‘lick’, push her head from my ankle and tell her ’no!’. Sometimes that’s all it takes and she’ll lay there and go to sleep. Sometimes she comes back for another try. I usually give her 3 chances to make the good choice or I make her get down from the chair. Sometimes she won’t try to bite at all, she’ll just settle in for a nap.
OR… she’ll be sleeping on top of the cat tree, she’ll wake up, nonchalantly walk across the floor, and jump up and bite with no warning.
She really doesn’t seem to be attacking, but she has never been aggressive or mean with me before. She’s been the best cat. Sorry this is so long winded! I’m happy to answer any more questions if it can help to fix this. Thank you for trying to help!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These seem to be love bites, despite the fact that those are usually gentle. Its possible they could be attention motivated as well. Just in case, don't give the cat positive attention after if you can help it. Like some people say "throw a toy to distract the cat" -- but that would be a poor strategy if this is attention motivated.

Cats dont bite humans to show dominance. Sometimes they will bite to get a human to do something, or stop something they don't like, or for a game, but not to show dominance.

I take it you are not willing to wear long pants and socks around the house because its too hot or for whatever reason. Understandable, but otherwise that might actually be the easiest solution -- a couple of weeks an the cat would probably forget about the behavior.

If you are using some kind of lotion on your legs, skip a couple of days and see if that helps.

Fuzz_is_not_husky_am_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hmm im not the best with cats but maybe there's something going on and the cat wants to let you know by bitting you

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These seem to be love bites, despite the fact that those are usually gentle. Its possible they could be attention motivated as well. Just in case, don't give the cat positive attention after if you can help it. Like some people say "throw a toy to distract the cat" -- but that would be a poor strategy if this is attention motivated.

Cats dont bite humans to show dominance. Sometimes they will bite to get a human to do something, or stop something they don't like, or for a game, but not to show dominance.

I take it you are not willing to wear long pants and socks around the house because its too hot or for whatever reason. Understandable, but otherwise that might actually be the easiest solution -- a couple of weeks an the cat would probably forget about the behavior.

If you are using some kind of lotion on your legs, skip a couple of days and see if that helps.
Thanks for your response! I did wonder about the ‘love bite’ thing too, but discarded it because she’s not gentle with it. I think I should revisit that idea.
I read that it could be dominance related (on another site). I now know that that’s not it, so thank you for telling me!
Upon more thought, she could be attention seeking as I’m gone for work a lot and she’s home alone. You’ve given me ideas to consider, and I will. Chances are that this can change once I begin to handle it differently.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm im not the best with cats but maybe there's something going on and the cat wants to let you know by bitting you
I think you could very well be right! Thanks for your response, you’ve echoed others thoughts and that’s confirmation for me. I appreciate your help!