A Question About Kitten Weight

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, all,

This is not an urgent question, just one born of curiosity. I know that the rule of thumb for "average" kitten growth is a pound a month for the first six months. My two just reached the six-month mark, and the boy is 8.6 pounds, while the girl is 7.4. Any ideas for their potential adult weight? It seems that they're a bit above average.

Thanks! Bonus photos, and yes, they will be getting a bigger tree:
IMG_20180920_202755.jpg

IMG_20181002_044604.jpg
IMG_20181002_044552.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, they're adorable! :catlove: And apparently think they're still small enough to share the same space. :catman:

Sorry, can't help you with your question, though. In fact, I wasn't even aware of the one pound a month average.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they're constantly sitting on each other and apparently don't mind the squish! They just wanna be as close as felinely possible. :catrub:

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my Angus was about 7.5 pounds at 6 months. He will be a year old in a couple of weeks (age estimate puts his birth date around Halloween ). He is now ten and a half pounds, although I think he's half a pound or so overweight due to cleaning Leo's bowl and snarfing down all the dry food I leave out :cool2:.

Angus at nearly 1 year

Angus when I first got him at about 6 months.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think those weights are totally within normal range. The "pound a month" guideline is more of a minimum for how much a normal healthy kitten should weigh; many cats grow faster than that. As for their final adult weights, you really can't predict that from their size at 6 months, since cats grow at different speeds. Some cats will already be close to their adult size by 6-7 months, others grow slowly and don't reach their adult size until 2-3 years (and then continue to fill out even after that).