A question about fighting.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My inside babies are 2 years old. They are littermates and both female. I have never seen any aggression between them. They are inside only and have access to a large enclosed verandah. Tonight I heard cats growling. They were both down the very end of the verandah and it was dark and they are both black so I couldn't see anything. When I turned the light on it was my cats fighting with each other. I broke them up and then they both went to the netting and we're looking out growling with their tails all puffed up. I think/ hope what happened was another neighbourhood cat was in our yard stirring them up and in the dark they got confused and attacked each other. They haven't snuggled up together since but they ate together. I would love to know what you guys think please. There is another cat that hangs around and stirs them up. In fact I had covered over the flap that lets them out to their enclosure - they had escaped anyways. The flap is well and truely blocked now. Thanks for reading.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's almost certainly redirected agression. If they're still happy to eat together and aren't still going round trying to kill each other, then they'll probably stay accepting of each other - this time. It sounds like it would be worth looking at ways to keep other cats away from your yard though. There are loads of options out there - anything from citrus oils to sonic deterrents. Just make sure whatever you choose isn't going to upset your cats when they use their catio.

I hope they can get back to normal soon. Some Feliway diffusers might be a good idea for now (assuming you don't already have them). Bach's Rescue Remedy might help them both move past this trauma too.

Good luck :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Columbine. It's the next morning and they are happy together. They are both stressed out though. Clawing at the cat flap to get out there. I need new refills for my feliway plug ins and I'll go look for something to keep the other cat away today.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great that they're back to normal with each other this morning. As a quick fix deterrent you could try scattering citrus peel/rind around outside the catio. It normally used to keep cats from digging up vegetable plots, but it might work here too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that they're back to normal with each other this morning. As a quick fix deterrent you could try scattering citrus peel/rind around outside the catio. It normally used to keep cats from digging up vegetable plots, but it might work here too.
Thanks I'll try that. Its as if my babies didn't realise they were fighting with each other. They are not going out there at night anymore. Day time seems to be ok.