A Question About Contractions

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I took in a stray in mid December and she quickly started getting bigger so I had a feeling she was pregnant. I first noticed her belly movement(the kittens) on January 24th. Last night she started having small contractions or at least what I assume are contractions? She is tightening up her upper half then releasing then about 4 seconds later, she does it again. I noticed it at 11:30pm and it is now 6pm the following day and they are still happening... they still aren't huge contractions. How long should this continue until the next stage of labor begins? I plan to get mom spayed after the kittens are weaned! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is sleeping now right up next to me... still having small contractions and purring now. She's been in the same spot for about 2 hours now instead of roaming the house.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not an expert but having watched many strays give birth, it sounds like she is getting closer to having the babies if she is sticking close to you.
Has she found a nice spot to deliver them? Roaming around usually means they are looking for the safest place to deliver. A nice box with puppy pads or even newspaper you can dispose of after the birth may seem attractive to her.
I’m so glad she is with you to deliver. That means the kittens won’t be born as ferals and will be easily socialized for adoption. This will end the rough life Mom would have been leading and kittens too! Thank you so much for bringing her in when you did. That’s awesome! :thanks:

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've made her a few spots but she's just been going over to the corner in my bedroom so I made her a spot there too. She came out of the room for about an hour but she's back in my room again now. I'm sitting here with her. She's gotten up and circled like 4 times within 10 minutes and is purring away again but now she's drinking water. Still no big contractions. I mean, they're noticeable but not like I've seen in full blown kitty labor before though. She's being so sweet :)

Thank you Jcatbird :) so sweet

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Mommy kitty. New life is coming into a better world than they would have been. I know you didn’t expect it but they will be precious little ones. Watching a Mother ,of any kind, loving her babes is a special thing. Let us know how things are going. When you go to bed, I expect she will go with you. It’s really showing her love and trust for you that she is staying close. Let’s just hope she doesn’t decide to wake you up by delivering in your bed! :lol: I’ve had that happen many long years ago. You might put a line of pillows down your side so she can’t get right against you. Snuggle time for mom of the cat mom!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How is she doing now? I think that since she started contractions last night, she should be getting very close to delivery. Do you know if she’s lost her mucus plug yet?

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is she doing now? I think that since she started contractions last night, she should be getting very close to delivery. Do you know if she’s lost her mucus plug yet?
I just looked and there is something dry down there on her. She seems content. Just laying in front of me purring when I rub her belly.

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww! Mommy kitty. New life is coming into a better world than they would have been. I know you didn’t expect it but they will be precious little ones. Watching a Mother ,of any kind, loving her babes is a special thing. Let us know how things are going. When you go to bed, I expect she will go with you. It’s really showing her love and trust for you that she is staying close. Let’s just hope she doesn’t decide to wake you up by delivering in your bed! :lol: I’ve had that happen many long years ago. You might put a line of pillows down your side so she can’t get right against you. Snuggle time for mom of the cat mom!
I actually woke up at 5:30 this morning to check on her and she was outside my bedroom door then on my pillow a while after lol

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had a third about 10 minutes ago. There are 2 gingers and 1 black and white.

Jenna19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! :) I'm going to find my kitchen scale and start weighing them. I feel like the gingers look bigger but maybe I'm wrong. Guess I'll see once I weigh them all in a bit.