A New Roof Coming Up....you Know What That Means...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will be having a new roof put on within the next couple of months. Feeby, hates any abnormal noises - garbage trucks, delivery trucks, thunder, and of course fireworks. Many times, she will run for cover under a bed. I am kind of freaking out about whether or not to worry about her having to deal with constant noise for at least a whole day, and maybe 1 1/2 days.

She's been through it once, about 8 years ago when she was 6+ years old; but, she was younger (so was I) and I know the noise was horrendous, but obviously she 'survived' (so did I!). I stayed at home, with her, for multiple reasons...

She hates all other cats and dogs she has ever been near, not to mention being put in a carry-case and traveling in a car; so going to a friend's home is pretty much not an option. Certainly, this rules out renting a hotel as well. My husband said he would be willing to consider taking her to work, but she would be confined to a carry-case mostly. And obviously, water/food/litter box are all things to consider in any alternative.

I guess I am eliminating all possible alternatives...just want to see what others might think or have experienced. Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had my roof re-shingled a couple years ago, and Ruby and I survived. But it was NOISY.

I tried putting Ruby in the basement, but she insisted on staying upstairs. But she doesn't freak out over loud noises. In fact, she comes in to investigate when I run the paper shredder. So I guess my, and Ruby's, experience won't be the same as yours.

Here's recent thread on the same topic. Maybe there'll be something in there that will help you with Feeby.
New Roof Going On House, Should I Stay Home With Kitties

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a new roof put on and my cats did OK. I was not home, though, until towards the end of it (they did it all in a day). I know it had to be noisy but I think after the initial noises go on for awhile they sort of accept it as much as they can. Like what Rubysmama said she tried, maybe you could put them in the basement.
Best of luck to you with your new roof!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So funny - Feeby doesn't even flinch at a paper shredder. And, while she is not crazy about the vacuum, she will hang around and watch it until the actual canister gets near her. I guess they are noises she is more accustomed to since they happen more frequently. Because the garbage/recycle/etc. trucks are also a little more routine, generally she just sits up 'on alert' until they pass - and, I tell her what they are and they will be gone soon (who knows if she listens to me, haha). But, fireworks, or other completely infrequent noises, no way - she could care less what I say. She's 'outta here'. Think she will be under a bed until the noise stops, and a bit beyond if history is any example. Good one day diet!!!

No basement here in Florida. I guess I should just let her go where she wants to go and resolve myself to a whole lot of noise for at least a day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My roof is being replaced this weekend and I expect that Willow will be hiding in the basement the whole time. But she will come back up once they leave and except for missing a meal, which she certainly can afford, she will be just fine. I find that the more I stick to my routine and don’t fuss over her being fearful the faster she calms down.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny - Feeby doesn't even flinch at a paper shredder. And, while she is not crazy about the vacuum, she will hang around and watch it until the actual canister gets near her. I guess they are noises she is more accustomed to since they happen more frequently. Because the garbage/recycle/etc. trucks are also a little more routine, generally she just sits up 'on alert' until they pass - and, I tell her what they are and they will be gone soon (who knows if she listens to me, haha). But, fireworks, or other completely infrequent noises, no way - she could care less what I say. She's 'outta here'. Think she will be under a bed until the noise stops, and a bit beyond if history is any example. Good one day diet!!!

No basement here in Florida. I guess I should just let her go where she wants to go and resolve myself to a whole lot of noise for at least a day.
Will it done in a single day? I hope so!!!
Could you acclimate her to a nice spot in her favorite room, maybe well hidden (under a table, in a closet door open, etc.) so she has a "safe" spot? Maybe run a box fan, etc. It won't stop the noise but might help drown it out.
One of my girls goes on alert and watches the window like a rabid Doberman whenever she hears tires on gravel.
Also, IDK if you've used it before but maybe getting a Feliway, etc. and trying it out a day or two in advance to see any changes might help ease her through it.
If it's going to take more than one day maybe speak to the vet about a possible light sedative to use IF she can't handle it and acts very stressed.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had a new tile roof put on last year, which took weeks. The noisiest part was when they removed the old tiles, which scared Mowgli, but not as much as we'd expected.

We started running Feliway diffusers a few days before the roofers started and made sure Mowgli had plenty of boxes to hide in and that one of us was always home with him while they were working.

I think he was more bothered by strangers climbing around on scaffolding than anything else, so closing blinds, curtains, or shutters might help.

maincoonmama

Geriatric/S.N Rescuer
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest setting up a soundproof room with soundproof quilts. you can get them from soundproofcow.com.they are helpful to have. it helps reduce stress in older cats. I have a walk-in closet soundproofed for workmen, severe thunderstorms, and fireworks. I put my cats in large cat enclosures and spray the crap out of the bedding with Feliway travel spray. I created the room because a bunch of my neighbors sold their properties and there has been building non-stop in my area.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be having a new roof put on within the next couple of months. Feeby, hates any abnormal noises - garbage trucks, delivery trucks, thunder, and of course fireworks. Many times, she will run for cover under a bed. I am kind of freaking out about whether or not to worry about her having to deal with constant noise for at least a whole day, and maybe 1 1/2 days.

She's been through it once, about 8 years ago when she was 6+ years old; but, she was younger (so was I) and I know the noise was horrendous, but obviously she 'survived' (so did I!). I stayed at home, with her, for multiple reasons...

She hates all other cats and dogs she has ever been near, not to mention being put in a carry-case and traveling in a car; so going to a friend's home is pretty much not an option. Certainly, this rules out renting a hotel as well. My husband said he would be willing to consider taking her to work, but she would be confined to a carry-case mostly. And obviously, water/food/litter box are all things to consider in any alternative.

I guess I am eliminating all possible alternatives...just want to see what others might think or have experienced. Thanks!
Thank you for thinking of your cats' sensitivities, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Other posters' suggestions are great, and to Feliway, a fan, etc., I would add, calming music playing where your cats will be. You can get kusc.org anywhere in the known universe via their free app on your smartphone, or online. If you're in SoCali, you can get them via the radio :dazzler: Commercial-free and wonderful Classical music!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks all! Going to look into the soundproofing materials more. At first glance, they have temporary barriers; but I would need to buy several in order to attach them together so they would cover an entire queen sized bed down to the floor. She does open closet doors to hide/sleep in them occasionally, but not usually when she is running from noise - underneath the bed is an almost guaranteed 'go-to' for her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My roof went on yesterday with nearly 12 hours of non stop noise. But Willow did exceptionally well. She ran back and forth from hiding spot to hiding spot a few times and I thought a full blown panic attack was coming but then she settled into a spot in the basement and stayed there the entire day. Not more than ten minutes after the roofers packed up she was out and acting quite normal.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My roof went on yesterday with nearly 12 hours of non stop noise. But Willow did exceptionally well. She ran back and forth from hiding spot to hiding spot a few times and I thought a full blown panic attack was coming but then she settled into a spot in the basement and stayed there the entire day. Not more than ten minutes after the roofers packed up she was out and acting quite normal.
Awww, resilient! Hoping she got lots of loves, good food, treats and maybe a play session afterwards, as rewards! And wow, you've got a new roof -- that's fantastic! My guys who do all that stuff told me I didn't need one yet but I got a recoat of the Elastomeric coating that repels rain and keeps the house quite a lot cooler than if it wasn't on, because it's white.
IMG_0597.JPG

punkysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We checked into a nearby pet friendly hotel while our roof was going up. Stayed there during the workday to avoid the noise, went home each night. Worked out great for us.