A New Problem

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted before and told you about my neighbor who hates that I care for all these cats and leaves his garage door up all day long, then complains that they go in his garage. He refuses to put it down-says he's in and out all day and doesn't want to constantly open and close it. So now, he says they are pooping on a carpet in his garage. I'm sure he won't take the carpet up either! Don't know if they are doing so from getting trapped inside overnight or not. I need suggestions on how I can keep the cats out of his garage when his garage door is up. I'm starting to think there is no good solution other than him keeping the darn door shut if he isn't in there!! Do that make an animatronic german shepard or something that could bark at them at the entrance? : )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I found an outdoor ultrasonic dog/cat repeller on Amazon I may get to try at the edge of the yard close to his garage. Has anyone ever tried these? Do they work?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to rad this - - - I'd SO hped this was getting better, but sounds like (as it usually works) he's putting the whole "action as to how to sole) no shock. That type of complainer is one of the "make a fuss but DON'd do anything and throw the issue onto the most compassionate neighbor her can find so HE won't have to do it

Wish HE'D be making the effort, but I've dealt with too many cranky (or worse) neighbors to expect that. As far as he's concerned, it's highly doubtful he'll do anything but gripe (and if possible, I'd still HIGHLYV recommended getting any info possilbe from Alley Can Allies --they can send you so much printed stuff to show him that responsibility is wonderful, kind, and very doable. Maybe if he could study their material, it'd help him to help YOU know you're FAR from being completely a loner who's nuts.

Keep coming back - - -it's not too late for you & this guy (kitten I mean}. Even if his next step isn't at your house, he can be better aquainted with options that were heeyel

Please do keep us posted - and happy to help you to craft what is a great story. Think of what this guy and just take a break from fthe crazy periodicals.

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree Catzmeow, but unfortunately, I'm the one who has more to lose (all of my cats) and so I'm trying to find a solution to shut him up and keep him off my back. My entire colony has been born and cared for in my yard (except for the Mama who started it all!) He trapped one of my cats in his garage the other day to prove they were coming in there. The more I thought about it, I thought, Well of course he came in! He smelled the tuna or whatever you put in the trap, and it drew him in! And I really don't think the cats would go in his garage with a purpose of making a toilet in there. I think a cat had to have been trapped overnight and had no choice.
I HAVE explained to him that I have almost all of them fixed and this is a good thing. He, like most non-cat lovers, doesn't really care about that. He just wants a cat free life and continues to be intolerant of any cat owners around him.
I hope the next person living there is a cat lover!
Thanks for all your support! It's nice to hear from others who understand how I feel.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to play devils advocate here. In total, we have 7 cats. All strays and ferals. Any other cats we have found were taken to the humane society for adoption. Our cats are either indoor or in catios.
I am like that man with the garage. The neighbours cat comes in my car port looking for squirrels and was scratching my mustang as it took off when we came out the door. All I get from my neighbour is “sorry”. The cat is also on my back deck, in my backyard etc. I have to spend my money to protect my car in my carport. That’s crazy to me. I respect my neighbors property and their right to their enjoyment of it by ensuring that my animals do not infringe on their rights. I feel disrespected that there is not the same regard from them.
Maybe the man with the garage feels like I do. Can you approach him and begin with the respect issue and that you want to do what you can to acknowledge his issues and come to a workable solution. Explain that you are putting a cat deterrent in place and are looking at other solutions. He may be open to working with you or he may really be an asshat, but at least you will know what you have to work with.
Best of luck with your situation...I have been there myself worrying about homeless cats.

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I DO get where he's coming from. He's lived in his home for 50 years and never had to deal with any cats and could leave his garage door open all day. But he doesn't seem to be willing to compromise and close the dang door part of the time. He will go in the house for hours and just leave it open. Would it kill him to just close the dumb thing?? Especially toward evenings, when they would be most apt to go in there. dragonlady2-I'm sorry but you're fooling yourself if you think those cats you took to the Humane Society all got adopted. You do realize that 70% of cats taken to shelters-including the Humane Society-end up euthanized. I cannot bear that to be the fate of the cats that have been born, raised and cared for in my yard. I'm getting them all fixed-3 to go!-and just want them to live the best life I can provide them.
He runs a framing business from his home and so customers come to his home. His driveway is right on the property line and his customers run off his driveway and into my yard when backing out all the time, sometimes leaving ruts in my yard. If I can tolerate that, why can't he give a little here?

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I did bring the cats to a no kill shelter. I am from Canada and I don't know if there is a difference between where you come from and where we live, but the cats I brought in were adopted out as that is the mandate.
As to your neighbor....to him and others like him, cats are a nuisance. They don't see the world of animals as others do. I feel you with regard to wanting to establish and take care of the colony.
I was foolish in thinking that if I spayed ferals and strays, that was enough. However, their instinct to hunt is very strong, no matter what they were getting fed. They went after the homing pidgeons down the street and two of them were shot with bb's. One of them died and I tried to convince myself that they weren't my cats so not my responsibility. However, the neighbors perception was that they were my cats as I had taken responsibility for them. They were not wrong. I had no right to inflict my beliefs on them and it cost one of the cats their life.
I no longer will just keep feeding and tnr'ing. The last feral was coming to eat at my place and had been in a fight with another cat. He was weak and ill. He had been going to the properties around my home. What right did I have to keep him coming back to my home and him bothering other homeowners? I trapped him, had him neutered and added him to the catio.
I am sorry that your neighbor is not cooperative...I have the same issue. However, this is going to be a losing battle for you if you are expecting anything from your neighbor, given that he is resistant.
Is there a way for you to create a backyard catio? Fenced in that has the roll bars on top of the fence to keep them in your yard?

Last edited:

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is fantastic that Canada mandates no kill shelters. I think we have way too many cats in the US for that sadly.
Unfortunately, a catio would have to take up my entire backyard as I have 20 in the colony I care for. There just is no perfect solution.
All of this started for me with one Mama cat who showed up in my yard 5 years ago with a litter. I have never been able to catch her (came very close twice!) and she has had 11 litters now and brought them to my yard. Some I tamed and did find homes for, but not all-hence I now have 20. Mama cat is allowing me to get a little closer to her this year for some reason (I think she's getting worn out from all those litters!) and I am determined I WILL catch her soon, before litter #12. Everyone cross your fingers for me!

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The humane society in my area is no kill. I am not positive about others. We also have barn programs for cats who do not handle home environments.
I hope you are able to catch the mother...fingers crossed.

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll keep you posted.