A New Pregnant Stray..

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, after our stray, Han, had 4 kittens a about 5 weeks ago, another pregnant stray showed up at our house. I'm not sure how far along she is but she is HUGE! Her nipples are pink and large. The only thing that worries me is not being able to see the baby moving nor feel them. Could she be just not far enough along?

She also has a little discharge from her vagina and looks like she hasn't been able to clean around that area. Also, it looks like she may have a bit of blood around her anus but I can't be sure. Should I bring her inside?

I just went through this with Han but she's a smaller build than Han.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, bring her inside and keep her separated from your other cats. You will need to figure out where she is bleeding from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, bring her inside and keep her separated from your other cats. You will need to figure out where she is bleeding from.
Can I give her a flea bath or get a flea collar? Are those safe during pregnancy?

Also, should I confine her in the master bed and bathroom?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Can I give her a flea bath or get a flea collar? Are those safe during pregnancy?

Yes, confining her there should work as long as it's not too busy.

I wouldn't try a flea collar, those can really irritate the skin, but I think there are some flea products that are fine for pregnant cats. Ask your vet, and definately don't buy any from the pet store unless your vet tells you to.

Do you have a picture of her? Some cats carry the pregnant belly rather strangely, or they just have a lot of kittens. But the belly shouldn't be growing too much until the lasy few weeks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would keep her in just the bathroom for now while you get a handle on the situation.

You can give her a bath with just water and dish soap to get the fleas off. Advantage II is safe for nursing moms. Flea collars are not safe and you don’t need a flea shampoo.

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Thank y'all. I will get a pic after I give her a bath. She's a very affectionate kitty.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage II is the safest for pregnant cats. I am always worried about flea baths just because I don't want to stress them out into labor... She could be so far along that you don't see any fetal movement because there is no room lol. How is she doing today?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for caring for these scared little mamas. I believe the new one is farther along than you think. Did you actually see fleas? She may not have to go through all taht stress of a bath. I would call the vet and see what they recommend. If you see discharge I would bet she'll go into labour soon, Give her a place to hide and a few good meals high in calories and nutrition (kitten food) and she'll come along fine. Definitely keep her in a small separate room, you don't want them to stress each other out, and a mother defending her kittens is ferocious! Thank you for taking them in, and keep us posted!

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I woke up it looked as if she was pacing and has not stopped since. She is very vocal today and actually woke me up a few times being vocal lol. She is wanting a lot of attention but will not be still long enough to receive the amount she wants lol. She is a sweetheart.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she may be in early labor. Poor gal. Stay with her as much as you can.

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep seeing her tail and belly twitch. I noticed it a few times last night but a lot more this morning. Is this anything to be worried about?

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just laying beside her and could feel the babies move. They were moving a lot!

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update..
Mama cat has not shown any signs of labor as of yet. She just sleeps, poops, and eats. Although today, she hasn't eaten as much as normal. Also, she is having a very hard time cleaning herself and is rubbing her bottom all over the floor. Is that normal? Lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if she has worms. Cats will do that sometimes when they have worms. Has she been wormed?

Otherwise, it may just be that she can't lick herself there.

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the worms since she just showed up. Can I have her dewormed while pregnant? But I honestly don't think she can reach. I've seen her trying and she just falls over.
I also noticed she is a bit damp near and on her vagina.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, cats can be wormed safely while pregnant. She may just be having pregnancy discharge.

StrayKittensX4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Thank you for the info!

She has been in the same spot just about all day. She is definitely damp on her vagina and looks like an opening....? Sorry for the tmi. Just worried she will have them while I'm gone and something will go wrong. (I have super high anxiety)