A New Dog Downstairs

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Tenant Downstairs will be moving in with a well behaved Service Dog in December. Even though Louise was in a shelter for a few months with barking dogs all around her, what may I expect to happen now that she has made this her new home and is being quite territorial? She will not even see the dog but I am sure will know something is afoot!
She is very tidy and uses her litterbox 100%. But please don't tell me she will pee on my bed! :help:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
She may be surprisingly calm about it, since a service dog likely won't bark. However, you might keep calming products in mind (if this were me I'd probably stay away from feliway and comfort zone Pheromone plug in type products, they can sometimes make things worse), and Cat Music.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't think it would cause any issues. Our cats hear many dogs, cats in neighboring places with no problem. Different ones are people move in and out.

If your cat isn't used to having access to that space, it should be okay :)

It might be worth some Feliway for a bit, if you're concerned.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I can tell, Feliway either works magically, or it does not work at all. I suppose it is like catnip...some cats react, others do not.

I promise you, your cat will be aware of the dog. However, your cat is also aware of every animal in the neighborhood. I think she will adjust well, especially since the dog is not a barker.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
She will get used to it.

Our flat is also surrounded with dogs - beside and on the upper floors. My cats hear them bark all the time. In the catio they would see the dogs as they pass by when being walked by their owners. My Bourbon's eyes widen everytime, but she stays put and does not seem to get scared, and Graham does the zoomies when she sees the dogs. Barley does not care, even when one time the dog sniffed him. LOL.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cat was a kitten she started hiding under the china cabinet all of a sudden. I couldn’t understand it. Then one day, I take out the trash and see that the neighbors have a visitor, with a dog. A great big Rottweiler was standing at the window watching me, completely silent. Obviously well trained, I had never heard him bark once. She knew he was there though, lol. Now that she’s grown, she completely ignores any sounds of barking. I guess she realizes they can’t get to her.