A new cat owner

susan timlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a beautiful orange male Manx cat.  This is the first cat I have ever owned.  He got along with my two dogs very well.  My one dog recently passed away.  He sits at the window constantly and lately he meows a lot.  He isn't playing like he used to and I am worried about him.  He still comes on my bed and sleeps with me in the night but he just doesn't seem his frisky self.  I live on a very busy road and there are coyoutes and fox in our back yard ( lots of woods) So, I never want him to go out.  I was told he wasn't real fond of other cats so another cat would probably not be the answer.  How can I get him to cheer up.  He seems a bit depressed. 

I just love my cat and am so glad I have him. 

Any suggestions.

Thank you

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When our dog passed away Neely was heartbroken.  The two of them were best buds and I never had to worry about leaving them alone when I was at work.  However, our dog went to the Bridge first and Neely acted very subdued.  She was always friendly but became much more affectionate to my husband and I.  Give it time and give him as much attention as you can.  I'm very sorry about the loss of your dog, my sincere condolences.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan timlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6 Months

He is a little over 2 years old  He was left behind when his owners moved away  He was out on the streets a few months and then a lady took him in but she had about 30 cats.  Soon she was not able to care for all of them so they wandered out into the neighborhood for food.  Someone turned her in and a rescue group picked up the cats.  I got him from the rescue group.  The lady caring for him there also had way too many cats and he was not eating like he should and had not be treated for worms.  One month after I got him he threw up worms and was very sick.  I took him to the vets and had him treated.  He generally was eating well until a few weeks ago.  It was about when my do died but they were not particularly close.  He would snif him and sometimes lay near him but they did not play because my dog was very old and ill. 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your baby has been through a lot in a short amount of time. He may be grieving over the loss of his doggy companion.  The meowing you mention seems like he may be looking for his buddy.  Try talking to him when he starts meowing.  Call him to you for extra attention.  I went through this years ago with two of my cats when the older cat they were very bonded to passed away suddenly.  Letting them know I was there and giving them extra attention helped a lot.  This may sound odd to you but I am going to mention it because it helped my babies.  Tell your cat that you are sorry his buddy is gone and that he is at the rainbow bridge helping other babies now. Cats understand more than we think they do.  I agree time and attention will help your baby feel better.  Another thing you can try is some new toys to see if you can get him to start playing again.  Cats grieve in their own way and time.  Just offer as much support as you can.  Things will get better but it may take a little bit of time.

Last edited:

susan timlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​I picked up my dog, Tobie's ashes today and I was crying when I got home.  I took the ashes to my room and my cat, Finnegan, came over and kissed my face.  I do think he understood.  He rubbed against me and purred and kept looking at my eyes.  He wanted to see the box the ashes were in so I let him.  He came back over to me and tried to play.  I gave him hugs and kisses.  I think you may be right.  I think he really does understand.  I am so glad I have him especially at this time.  I don't do well with losses and I really need his comfort at this time.   Thank you

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it helps a little I can empathize, i.e. we lost our dog 2 yrs. ago and we still cannot rescue another pup because we were so attached to him.  Some people go out and bring a new dog home right away, everyone is different and you need time to heal.  It's wonderful that Finnegan tuned into your emotions, animals are so intuitive.  My heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the loss of Tobie.

susan timlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​Thank you so much.  I will always love Tobie.  I got him 1 month after I lost my son Eric.  Eric was 24 when he died.  I was devastated.  I was so depressed I did not want to live.  I got Tobie and we walked together every day.  He kissed my cheeks when I cried and made me laugh when I didn't want to.  We have walked at our park for about 13 years until he could not go any more.  I wanted to take him to the park one more time about a week before he died when he was feeling well but I had to work and never made it.  I regret it.  It is tough to lose a friend such as I had in Tobie.  I appreciate your compassion.

susan timlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​Thank you.  I bought Finney some new toys and treats and he seems a little better.  He is not bouncing around like he used to but he is playing.  He sleeps with me at night and has been especially cuddly.  Thank you for the advice.  I hope I can make Finney happy and keep him health for a long time.