A neutral filling food for my very hungry 22-yr-old cat between meals

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Muzak is 22, DSH, extremely healthy according to the vet (wonderful bloodwork). He weighs 10.1lbs, and gets 1/2 can of friskies pate twice a day. He also (per the vet) gets fish oil and Fortiflora probiotics. His weight has stayed consistent for years, but last year or so he's been so hungry, begging two hours before each meal and eating it all within half an hour or so. Previous vet didn't have any suggestions other than pumpkin, problem is Muzak has bowel issues and should not have any more fiber than what he has now. So I'm trying to figure out a small treat that I can give him that will give him a full feeling for a couple hours. I just tried him on 1/2 tsp of mayo, he loved it and has gone straight back to his window (edit - five minutes later and he's back begging). But not sure at all that I should be giving him this. While I wait to find a new vet, what does the forum advise?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As cats get older their dietary needs change so is he getting the nutrients he needs from the pate??
He might be begging for more food simply he is not getting what his body requires.
Just another consideration when you get a new vet I would be getting his Thyroid checked, problems there can lead to a cat excessively demanding food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Half a can of Friskies twice a day? I think the calorie content might be too low for a 10 lb cat which is causing hangry behavior? But if your cat has eaten that same amount for years and this hungry behavior is new, I would think something medical is the reason. You could try giving a small mid day meal of the Friskies to see if that helps any while you look for a new vet.

I would have the new vet redo all bloodwork and check for thyroid issues and diabetes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. On average a 5.5 oz can of Friskies pate is close to 200 calories, so for a 10-pound cat, it is not out of the realm of possibility that might just be enough for him since he has been maintaining his weight on that.

Given his age, he might be looking for more attention - and he does that through asking for food. Wouldn't be the first time a cat did that!!

Beyond what was suggested by the other posters, I would try feeding him more often - perhaps 4 times a day instead of 2. It doesn't have to mean that you have to add any additional food - although a little bit more probably would not present an issue - just split his food into 4 parts. At first, you might find him scarfing it all up right away and then begging for more, but over time as he realizes more food will follow shortly, he might pace himself in accordance with the new feeding routine.

There are also lickable treats such as stews/broths/bisques that are just over an ounce and contain very little calories - most in the neighborhood of 10-15 calories, that you could split up into mini-snacks in between meals.

Will he eat any dry food? If he would, you might consider setting out just a handful of dry pieces in between his 4 meals and see what happens.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same amount of food but more meals might work, I'd also consider adding more food, senior cats need more protein so maybe he simply is hungry. Thyroid check if it hasn't been done, that could be the problem also.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be coincidence, but when my cat had loose stools she was eating almost 2 cans a day. I agree blood work and thyroid with the new vet. She eats weruva steak frites so she gets 68% Protein plus tiki sticks,almost 90% water

Last edited: