A Much Needed Rant, And A Call For Aid

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As some may remember, I've been planning a rescue/cattery hybrid, where the rescue is in part funded by the cattery, (every dime from every kitten, who will go home altered, will go to the rescue) and the cattery receives goodwill and publicity from the rescue, as well as the quality of cats I plan on aiming for, armed with some genetic knowledge and an artist's eye. People would feel better buying my purebred because the money helped shelter babies. Plus, I'm offering a "Better in pairs" deal where buyers of purebred babies can either have a second for half off, of a rescue baby (or adult) for free, as long as they pass my scrutiny to buy in the first place.

But I've bitten off more than I can chew. I took too many because there are so many and you just want to save them all. I hate it. I've lived through things you wouldn't believe at the hands of the kind of evil some of you are incapable of believing exists. And yet, I don't rage for me, and my astronomically horrible luck in life. It's when I think of them that I grit my teeth, white knuckles tight, wishing it was as simple as it was back then — kill the bastard, or run away, and it'll get better.

Every time I look at a photo of a dog or cat who's living their final day at death row in an impoverished high kill shelter, blissfully unaware of what's gonna happen tomorrow, posted by the rescue folks I know from back home, I look into their eyes, deeply, for a few seconds, and for each, all I can say is "I'm sorry I couldn't save you too." This was what tortured me at night, even as a child. The monster under the bed could suck eggs, there were real, beating hearts, forced to stop, in the same way we do to only the most heinous murderers of our own kind, when these cats' and dogs' own crime was simply being. From a young age, I swore I'd do something. My whole life, my parents said it had to be this way, they had to die. Ever since —I couldn't have been older than 7— a local news channel followed a doomed a black tom from removal from his enclosure to his trash bag on the pile. As I watched, my parents paying little notice vowing to myseld, "If I do one thing, if I make a single change, if my life has a single piece of meaning, I want it to prove that there not only can be, but is another way of stopping this democide and genocide of creatures that evolved alongside us, more our brothers in spirit than our fellow apes. In the pyramids of Egypt, cats were mummified and given great care, like one of us. Over five millennia ago, we made graveyards for dogs, as we so our own. How have the ages taken us so far in reverse?

We we take them home, when we give them food and water and shelter, we make a promise — it may not be spoken in our language of lies and convenient omissions, but it's understood in theirs: "You're safe here. We've kept one another alive longer than you or I understand. Let's make each other's lives worth living." When they have babies under our roofs or on our lawns or on our decks, or anywhere else, and a set of five fingers picks up the helpless, blind, ball of fur, pets Mama and give her some food, we make that same promise, to them, to her, about them. I don't wanna get into the vegan argument here, but purpose, purpose is the core of reason and the mother of advamcememt, and theirs was comraderie. It may have been on the hunt, or in keeping a holding safe, or a city free of disease, or a tomb free of pests, but we worked together. Now, when they no longer need to ward off the bears catch the rats, hunt our food, guard our dead kings, in this modern era, we don't need their labor anymore. So what do we have left? The comraderie. Even through the teamwork and symbiosis, a share of a meal a dog helped kill, a belly full of every rat a cat could catch, we needed each other to survive, and now, we are letting them die in droves, simply because we can't be half bothered to stop it.

So, how can you help?
Anyway, I just had to blow off some steam here (and you should see the scathing paragraph I wrote about Alabama, what I'm effectively saving these cats from — it was a doozy!) My goals remain the same, but now I know the responsibility and the challenge I'm facing. I've been a fool to try and rescue groups of 10 or more at once, and breed, all in a one bedroom apartment. My body is already not in fair health. Gonna have to figure that out too. I've blown out my back and been bedridden for a week just rising from scooping litter boxes. I have more up for adoption right now than I can handle or afford, ages 5 months through 8 years. My mother was my "grabber", who gathered cats for me back down south. This time, she sent a dozen. I couldn't say no. They needed us. But no one will help a rescue that isn't government registered, and, call me crazy, but I see the government as the people doing the killing. They're the enemy. I don't want a contract with them, not for this. Petfinder won't help me. Vets give no discounts. PetSmart told me where to shove it. In the past, friends and friends of friends and family have adopted them, but now, they're all catted up. Even Facebook isn't being helpful. I got kicked out of a group just for explaining, as briefly as I could, that I bit off more than I can chew.

My adoptable babies are in good shape. No fleas or worms. They're a healthy weight. Some sneezes now and then but we've just had a small cold going around. No one has gunky eyes, third eyelids, or any major symptoms. It's just becoming too expensive and I can't give them all the attention they want. My joint malady is always at its worst in winter. I need to suspend the rescue until I have a starter house (planned for a year from now) and most likely sacral surgery. I don't deserve help. I know I screwed up, tried too much too early with too little space and preparation. But they need the help I don't deserve. Cat hoarders are the scum of the earth and I hate myself for feeling like I'm even close to being one. Is there anyone on the eastern side of the USA that can give these guys homes, or put them with someone you trust? I am out for the night and my mother in law wants one, so I can post photos of all of them after that. My driver is headed from Michigan to Texarkana Monday. If anyone along that route can even take on one as a foster in that area, or, better yet, adopt one, I believe you all are trustworthy. He will go through other routes, and there will be more opportunities. If you're willing to give one of these ladies (there's only one little male btw) a home, you'll be doing them a massive favor. Alternatively, if you know a way for me to get these guys' names and faces out there. I need to get the funding mechanism together first, and the space, and the equipment. They don't get enough attention right now because I'm in the process of designing a new type of stud harness for Alaska that should leave all bodily functions unobstructed save for the occasional oopsie poopsie we get with all Maine Coons, except the one I don't want him doing yet.

Sorry I'm catching up with you on these circumstances. I have recent photos of everyone if you wanna check them in some new thread. This is the last resort before I go full redneck method and sell them out of a car in a Meijer/Walmart/Target/Whole Foods. (even then, I'd require a character reference, a vet reference, and a conversation to figure out what kind of human being they are.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m really sorry to hear. You really meant well and you’re taking care of them. But you do need to take care of yourself first and you recognize that. I hope you can get the help you need.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello Mistydawn,

Thank you for reaching out for help. I think that realising you are in over your head and trying to get some help is a very important first step. Hopefully we can find some way to take care of these cats before the situation deteriorates any further.

How many cats do you have all together?
Are any of them spayed or neutered?
You mentioned some Maine Coons that you had bought in another thread. Have they been spayed and neutered now? Are you still intending to breed from them?

I think you probably understand now that running a cattery by yourself from a small apartment is unfeasible. If you don't want to get the cats you bought to breed from fixed is it possible to return them to the breeders you bought them from?

I think all reputable breeders will take back their kittens if things don't work out. That would mean you are in a position to keep some of the rescued cats yourself.

How many cats does your lease/city allow? Have you considered contacting the SPCA? I believe that if you go to them, before any complaints are made against you, and voluntarily surrender the rescued cats you are unable to care for you won't get into any trouble for having too many cats at home. It may be possible for the SPCA to take some of your rescues and rehome them for you.

Please let us know what you want to do. We're here to support you all we can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Mistydawn,

Thank you for reaching out for help. I think that realising you are in over your head and trying to get some help is a very important first step. Hopefully we can find some way to take care of these cats before the situation deteriorates any further.

How many cats do you have all together?
Are any of them spayed or neutered?
You mentioned some Maine Coons that you had bought in another thread. Have they been spayed and neutered now? Are you still intending to breed from them?

I think you probably understand now that running a cattery by yourself from a small apartment is unfeasible. If you don't want to get the cats you bought to breed from fixed is it possible to return them to the breeders you bought them from?

I think all reputable breeders will take back their kittens if things don't work out. That would mean you are in a position to keep some of the rescued cats yourself.

How many cats does your lease/city allow? Have you considered contacting the SPCA? I believe that if you go to them, before any complaints are made against you, and voluntarily surrender the rescued cats you are unable to care for you won't get into any trouble for having too many cats at home. It may be possible for the SPCA to take some of your rescues and rehome them for you.

Please let us know what you want to do. We're here to support you all we can.
Hello, Norachan Norachan .

We seem to have a tiny misunderstanding here. I'm not great at communicating detail and whatnot online, and that was one heck of a long post. I'll try and make this one at least a bit briefer. Actually, brevity isn't my strongsuit, so I'll highlight the answers to your questions in purple, my favorite color. :)

I don't want or need to rehome everyone. I've got my "perma kitties" of which there are 6, which is within legal code in the region, and according to to the landlord "I don't give a hoot so long as no one destroys the carpet (that's the G-rated version, but the point is, he's a laid back guy) The 3 of these cats that are not Maine Coons planned for breeding are altered, vaxxed, and flea treated.

I wasn't really in over my head (at least not too deeply) until last year. I was taking litters of 3 or 4 kittens and finding homes with them with people I knew. I hate to drag my personal dramas into here, but this was a huge part of what part of awent wrong in 2018, when I started taking in double digit cats and kittens. Some, I've rehomed. The guy across the hall loves his little black and white tom, Darth Meowl. There weren't any problems until I started taking in huge numbers of homeless cats and kittens. My own cats are, and, never were, an issue. Things were going quite well before we overextended our reach, grew too with the 14 (we are now down to 11 cats total) we brought in. That wasn't the original plan, either. My mother was in charge of collecting and delivering cats to my husband's truck, which took them home. This was to be done in batches of 4 or so. She has an average size house in the country, so she always had double digit numbers of cats, vaxxed, deflead, and snipped. But she grabbed more than she was ready to care for and pushed me into taking them all at once (and she has a skill for manipulation, if not control, even from 700mi away. It became such a problem, not just with rescue but every part of my life that I found it the lesser of two evils to cut her out of my life altogether.) Not that I am blameless.... I agreed to do it. But another reason I'm discontinuing rescue for now is because I simply cannot work with her and, when I have a proper house and am prepared, will probably just work directly with shelters instead.

And then there is the financial side. My husband's pricaare contractor job sent him home with $0.00 paychecks. Now, he can still get a pay day loan which gives us 500 a week and puts us in the red until we pay the money back via actual paychecks. Both of the companies I worked for, in art and writing, went under, so I'm going to get a business license, starting up a site to sell prints and put my writing portfolio together. I just need to buy a computer chair ny spine can handle. I've picked it out, and we're saving both our money for it. No, none of the money from adoption fees will go to this. That, like our eventual kitten sales, will go into a savings account where it's saved for rescue only purposes, when we are ready.

The three Maine Coons aren't going anywhere. My girl won't be ready for kittens til later this year. We are buying a house at the end of this year. There will be no kittens until we've at least gotten down to our 6 perma kitties, as, I still want to help, however, and I still love the breed. So the cats and kittens that were meant to be rehomed, the rescues, I'll find homes for, with or without help. I must admit, in hindsight, running a cattery and long distance, out of pocket shelter, with a physical disability, seems pretty silly. If there are any resources you guys know of for my situation, however please do enlighten me. If anyone here is looking to foster or adopt a cat or older kitten, don't hesitate to PM me. We will have a house by the time we have our second litter, or there will be no second litter. I only say that because there's already a line for this litter, and I've promised my mother in law one as a birthday gift.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Norachan Norachan .

We seem to have a tiny misunderstanding here. I'm not great at communicating detail and whatnot online, and that was one heck of a long post. I'll try and make this one at least a bit briefer. Actually, brevity isn't my strongsuit, so I'll highlight the answers to your questions in purple, my favorite color. :)

I don't want or need to rehome everyone. I've got my "perma kitties" of which there are 6, which is within legal code in the region, and according to to the landlord "I don't give a hoot so long as no one destroys the carpet (that's the G-rated version, but the point is, he's a laid back guy) The 3 of these cats that are not Maine Coons planned for breeding are altered, vaxxed, and flea treated.

I wasn't really in over my head (at least not too deeply) until last year. I was taking litters of 3 or 4 kittens and finding homes with them with people I knew. I hate to drag my personal dramas into here, but this was a huge part of what part of awent wrong in 2018, when I started taking in double digit cats and kittens. Some, I've rehomed. The guy across the hall loves his little black and white tom, Darth Meowl. There weren't any problems until I started taking in huge numbers of homeless cats and kittens. My own cats are, and, never were, an issue. Things were going quite well before we overextended our reach, grew too with the 14 (we are now down to 11 cats total) we brought in. That wasn't the original plan, either. My mother was in charge of collecting and delivering cats to my husband's truck, which took them home. This was to be done in batches of 4 or so. She has an average size house in the country, so she always had double digit numbers of cats, vaxxed, deflead, and snipped. But she grabbed more than she was ready to care for and pushed me into taking them all at once (and she has a skill for manipulation, if not control, even from 700mi away. It became such a problem, not just with rescue but every part of my life that I found it the lesser of two evils to cut her out of my life altogether.) Not that I am blameless.... I agreed to do it. But another reason I'm discontinuing rescue for now is because I simply cannot work with her and, when I have a proper house and am prepared, will probably just work directly with shelters instead.

And then there is the financial side. My husband's pricaare contractor job sent him home with $0.00 paychecks. Now, he can still get a pay day loan which gives us 500 a week and puts us in the red until we pay the money back via actual paychecks. Both of the companies I worked for, in art and writing, went under, so I'm going to get a business license, starting up a site to sell prints and put my writing portfolio together. I just need to buy a computer chair ny spine can handle. I've picked it out, and we're saving both our money for it. No, none of the money from adoption fees will go to this. That, like our eventual kitten sales, will go into a savings account where it's saved for rescue only purposes, when we are ready.

The three Maine Coons aren't going anywhere. My girl won't be ready for kittens til later this year. We are buying a house at the end of this year. There will be no kittens until we've at least gotten down to our 6 perma kitties, as, I still want to help, however, and I still love the breed. So the cats and kittens that were meant to be rehomed, the rescues, I'll find homes for, with or without help. I must admit, in hindsight, running a cattery and long distance, out of pocket shelter, with a physical disability, seems pretty silly. If there are any resources you guys know of for my situation, however please do enlighten me. If anyone here is looking to foster or adopt a cat or older kitten, don't hesitate to PM me. We will have a house by the time we have our second litter, or there will be no second litter. I only say that because there's already a line for this litter, and I've promised my mother in law one as a birthday gift.
I may not be understanding this point, but when are you planning the first litter? I am concerned about the risks, even if there is a line for kittens; no promise is worth a risk to anyone's health. Quarters seem very tight at the moment, and also it seems that vet bills for an emergency would be a challenge. Breeding under these circumstances would be really hard to do to the high standards I know you have.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand that you love Maine Coons (Who wouldn't love them?) From what I understand though it is very difficult to make any money at all out of breeding. Most breeders just do it as a hobby, and I get the impression it can be quite an expensive one.

How Much Does It Really Cost To Breed Cats?

So You Think You Want To Become A Breeder?

posiepurrs posiepurrs and @GemsGem can probably give you more information about it, but I think your plan of breeding cats so that you can rescue more cats with the money you make is a bit unrealistic.

I'm glad you're going to wait until both you and your husband are in a more financially secure position and have a bigger home before taking the next step.

I've been doing rescue for about 12 years now, I understand how overwhelming it can be.

I'm not in the US, but maybe Jcatbird Jcatbird could give you some tips on re-homing some of the rescues.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey MistyDawn MistyDawn ! I had wondered if you were doing okay. It’s been almost a year since we talked. We both love the Maine Coon kitties. Remember my boy with one gold eye and one blue eye? You fell for him and his babies. It’s been awhile since we crossed paths.
Rehoming the babies is tricky. As I recall you were a little ways away from me. Back then I was working on a colony that I was pulling in bit by bit. The total ended up being 102. Ouch!
I’m so sorry you guys have had some struggles. I know how much you need that comfortable chair. I hope you get it soon!

I also understand the total frustration of non cooperative rescue group, organizations etc.. I pulled these in after horrible things started happening as well. I get the ,” trying to rescue while health is a struggle!” It all stinks. I’m with you 100%. You’ve been doing some great stuff though. Don’t forget that. Also, don’t give up!
I can tell you of a shelter but you might want to PM me with your current location. I know your Mom was coming near my area before but since she is out of the picture you might need to find transport. That can be done. The shelter I would suggest takes limited numbers but they try to spread the help around. A couple here and there for rescuers. They are no kill and very strict about who gets the kitties. I have had to change the shelter I use but I am hoping they will bounce back so maybe I can suggest another soon.
As for breeding...... there are Maine Coon cats in shelters now. Are you sure you want to add to that when people can get them nearly free? The costs if there is a problem with Mom or babies can be awful. If you have buyers waiting and the income can help things then I can understand that but otherwise you could easily adopt some gorgeous Maine Coons from shelters by putting those buyers in touch with the shelters trying to save them. I see some beautiful full breed cats in shelters every day. I just saw some Siamese, Maine Coon and a Snowshoe two days ago. I know where a Himalayan is right now that hasn’t even made it into a shelter yet and he is at high risk. He is being fed by someone but people are harassing him. Kids throwing rocks and stuff. He desperately needs help. If I can get space I was going to try and get him transported here but I have no openings right now. He has been neutered. There are also lots of sweet Burmese.
If you do breed some babies..... you know we want pictures! :)
As I recall, you have an absolutely stunning kitty that we have seen before!
You know pictures of all kitties are very much enjoyed here.

I posted a couple of photos that might help you to remember me and my babies. I still have the male with the Blue and gold eyes. All the babies got adopted and I have been lucky enough to get updates on most of them. Gosh I love the fur babies!
I hope things improve for you very rapidly. Very good to run into you again!

Norachan Norachan thank you for tagging me to find a friend again! Hopefully , we can help out a bit.

Remember these faces?
94ACE758-AF96-4894-A250-D6C5259CA164.jpeg
995C8E3A-2DE3-4BA8-94EE-004A7A73B309.jpeg

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you are struggling. Don't bet the bank on making money for your rescue by selling pedigree kittens. The care for the adults and the litters will in all probability eat up that money, especially the genetic and health testing for this breed. I spend close to $500 a month on food alone and that will be increasing since I have decided to change their diets. An emergency vet fund is crucial. Think a C-section or some other problem not planned for. The last C-section I had done was $750 and we lost the show kitten out of that litter.
I think you are doing a wonderful thing BUT you need to be careful. You are not helping if you get to the point of resentment or that you can't care for them.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you are struggling. Don't bet the bank on making money for your rescue by selling pedigree kittens. The care for the adults and the litters will in all probability eat up that money, especially the genetic and health testing for this breed. I spend close to $500 a month on food alone and that will be increasing since I have decided to change their diets. An emergency vet fund is crucial. Think a C-section or some other problem not planned for. The last C-section I had done was $750 and we lost the show kitten out of that litter.
I think you are doing a wonderful thing BUT you need to be careful. You are not helping if you get to the point of resentment or that you can't care for them.
To those with supportive and cautionary messages, I appreciate your kindness. I've got it worked out now, thanks to a bit of networking. :p

I've spoken to many breeders and maintain close friendships some local ones. I know it's not easy. I know about buying and selling and neo-nate care. I know it's not cheap. In fact, one friend just lost a queen and a litter. It's hard work. It, like rescue, which I've been in my whole life, can bring heartbreak. I know about foreign buys, couriers, domestic buys, and have done my homework on this.

Here's how the financial side is planned to operate:
We have an independent annual income of about 70k, and I am also expanding my graphic/trad media/code work to try and get that up to 120K. Finally, and this may or may not work, I plan on inventing a cleaner stud harness that collects neither urine nor feces. If it is successful, I'll either sell the patent or sell them on eBay. I have connections in the music industry. The only reason I haven't expanded my album cover and artwork already was because I need an orthopedic chair with strong lumbar support, because my sacrum is in very bad shape. Once that's taken care of, I'm going expand that business. My "just for fun" prints alone, much in the vein of Eduardo Recife, could easily sell for quite a bit. Our vet already favors us and offers discounts. We can support veterinary and other costs with the $100,000.00. this will bring.

With the 11 rescues we have now, everyone is still vetted (the problem with the cold is that it kept coming back from cat to cat and we lacked room for quarantine, and we had a bad 4th quarter, the worst quarter yet, but we are fixing this.) The goal is to spend as little as possible, 10% at most, of the gross income into anything but rescue, and, instead of using that income transporting cats from AL to MI, I'm going to donate it to shelters in that area, who need it most. That eliminates the "BOGO" offer idea I had of "Buy a Maine Coon, get a rescue free", but perhaps I could still sponsor adoption. Look, if I have 17, many of them them 5-6mos kittens, and two seniors and I'm keeping them healthy and cared for, despite the fact that my mother sent them to me with ringworm, tapeworms, fleas, and URIs (another reason she had been dropped as my "cat gatherer" bringing the number down to 6 should more than make up for the cost of supporting 17, since we only use premium products already.

Finally, the "rescue cats" argument. I've saved hundreds already, kitten, cat, and senior alike. I don't want to breed this breed for money. I see it as another craft — artistry with alleles. That's why I'm giving all away and paying for care out of pocket. I'm passionate about them. As for "Maine Coons in shelters", before getting Alaska, I was a rescue warrior too. I didn't understand breeding, and many don't. The squeaky wheel gets the oil so all anyone ever hears about are unethical backyard breeders and hoarders. European Maine Coons will cost you 1,200 each. That market does not compete with the $100-200.00. I searched Petfinder, rescues, and shelters, in both Alabama and Michigan (and surrounding states) and every time I found a cat that actually had lynx tips and a square muzzle, they'd just been adopted. The rest looked like domestic long hairs who'd just had the label Maine Coon slapped on them. I'm sure they are great cats, but this was my dream cat, my one guilty pleasure breed, for both looks and unique personality.

Finally, it comes down to a math problem: save one adopted cat, or send a few thousand per year to a rescue, and save many more by sending over a grand (it'd be 1200, but spay/neuter/vaccine costs/flea preventative cost) on sponsoring adoptions, s/n, and giving directly to rescues, while putting one spayed/neutered (as in, altered and vaxxed before they leave my home), cat. Is a litter of new babh kittens, sold to a niche market that isn't looking for shelter cats anyway, and whose sale can save others, a threat to rescue cats? Heck, I could even still do the "Better in Pairs BOGO" by having a Petfinder link on my site and letting the customer choose a kitten, that I'd pass on to the buyer. I need to make sure that's within their tiles though.

I know the costs. I know it can be tragic and some babies don't make it. I've seen that in rescue. I know the legality. I know the TICA fees and ppw. I'm 29 years old. I came here for advice on these rescue kittens, not to be badgered for breeding. It's not that I don't appreciate those of you who know the ropes warning me of the many complications, red tape, trials along the way, but I'm prepared to face them. Not only do I have passion for the European Maine Coon and consider breeding them a work of genetic art (and I've been told I've an excellent eye for them right out of the gate, but as I learn, so will grow the quality of my cats.), not only are they the kindest, they're also the most unique cats I've ever known. I plan on linking to MC mix adoption pages on my website to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your MIL sounds awesome!
She's a Goddess! She was a runner up for Ms. Michigan and is always getting us stuff for the house even though we don't ask. She's so kind. Bright, too. I really lucked out in in-laws!

I'm an ambitious person. Before my joints started completely falling apart (Severe Case of Hypermobility Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) I was in school for an MD. 3.8 GPA. Then, my spine started coming apart and I stopped being able to sleep. Can't sit in a plastic desk chair for 4 hours anymore. I tried to use my abilities as a writer. The company was a scam. Now all of my major joints are falling apart, especially my sacrum and L5/L4. This and art with the right chair are the only ambitions I have left to chase.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many breeders don't break even, and are subsidizing their cat hobby, instead of the cat hobby subsidizing something else. That's what they're trying to tell you. I haven't seen anything expressly anti-breeder. It's just a fact that proper breeding is an expensive hobby and not a money-making venture.

Hey, I'm intrigued by the thought of stud pants that don't collect urine. How does that work? Where does the urine go?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I know it doesn’t mean much coming from a random person online, but as long as you’re not one of those breeders who drops off kittens with defects at shelters I am all for your wonderful idea.

As some have mentioned with not making much money off of breeding, I assume the ones who do make money aren’t properly taking care of the kittens/queens and cut corners... which is how they would actually make money. This however could lead to my above comment about birth defects and such.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello Misty Dawn,

We're sorry that the replies you have had on this thread so far have upset you. I don't think anyone is attempting to criticise you for your dreams of helping cats in need, but from these comments from your first post it did sound like you were overwhelmed and quite desperate.

But I've bitten off more than I can chew
I've been a fool to try and rescue groups of 10 or more at once, and breed, all in a one bedroom apartment. My body is already not in fair health. Gonna have to figure that out too. I've blown out my back and been bedridden for a week just rising from scooping litter boxes. I have more up for adoption right now than I can handle or afford, ages 5 months through 8 years
Cat hoarders are the scum of the earth and I hate myself for feeling like I'm even close to being one
If you think you're on top of the situation now then I wish you the best of luck. I hope everything works out with your art, your rescues and your Maine Coons.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about just a friendly face! :p Just wanted to say hello and that I am thinking about you! Sending all the good vibes I can yo
ur way! :vibes::heartshape:
Adding my prayers and vibes to Jcatbird's. :vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape:

I like your Maine Coon breeding idea! I belong to a FB group for MC lovers and there are people who want papered MCs. My MC, JC, was from a very inexpensive breeder who supplied kittens to our now-defunct pet store over 200 miles away. I cannot begin to do justice at describing what an ambassador to the breed that JC is! He has wowed vets with his calm pleasant demeanor; he has loved and thrilled children and kittens; he impresses people with his amazing intelligence & nonverbal communications. He is almost 15 now and beginning to slow down & I would love to replace him but until/unless my cat rescue efforts become less burdensome & my income increases, that will have to be just a sweet longing.
And thank you for including us in knowing your personal life challenges & your remarkable courage and ingenuity in facing them! :rock::cheerleader::grouphug: