A Man With a Cat May Indeed Be Where It’s At

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are some guys who’ll understandably hesitate at speaking in public about their particular fondness for pet felines; for, to do so, unlike with expressing affection for a good sturdy canine friend, may be generally stereotyped as a man’s non-testosterone pet-animal inclination. And, yes, there are many people out there who’d implicitly (or even explicitly) question the normality (a.k.a. straightness) of a guy who adores his pet feline(s)—something that’s implied by first-season Seinfeld’s George Costanza, who, in a doubtful tone of voice and slight shake of his head, says to Elaine Benes (without looking at her) in regards to her boyfriend cherishing his two pet felines: “Guys with cats … I don’t know …”

George’s line rushed to mind after one response I received after posting a short essay onto a feline-fan site (accompanied by an adorable-enough feline photo, of course) elicited from a reader a disconcerting response subtly questioning my heterosexuality, which left me feeling both resentfully embarrassed and angry.

It also brought to mind an early-1990s Vancouver Sun letter to the editor—aptly titled “A Man With a Cat Is Where It’s At”—in which the writer, a straight guy who adored his two pet felines, responded to some recently published cat-critical commentary. He frankly cautioned straight single women about relationship-seeking heterosexual guys who love dogs but dislike domesticated felines; for, what such men really want in a mate is, basically, submission—unlike the dudes with cats who more than appreciate a companion’s independent nature as well as a silky soft touch.
Within, Steve Eykel of New Westminster wrote in response to a cat-hating letter writer: "Let me take a wild guess: David Tydeman is a dog person, not a cat person. It’s not too surprising really. After all, a dog will lick your hand, grovel, cringe, do tricks and generally make you feel like the big strong alpha male you wish you could be. A cat will do none of these things. Women take note! This is an acid test for any man’s character.
A man who prefers dogs is looking for subservience; a man who prefers cats is looking for a partner. You heard it here first." ...

I further recollected how as a teen I knew two of the (if not the most) toughest, testosterone-laden, and (like myself) straight guys around, who also cherished their pet cats—albeit, no average guy would’ve foolishly openly expressed his pet-feline enthusiasm amongst his demographic peers, lest he seriously risk being unjustly deemed a wuss or in some other way having his reputation permanently besmirched.

Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My husband is a tall guy who lifts weights, plays sports, AND has adored all our cats, (past and present). He shows pics of Carleton to anyone and everyone because he's so fond of him. :catlove: He has no problem whatsoever being a cat aficionado.

Noahh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am male, and I talk about my love for cats basically every day at school! Everyone in my grade basically knows about it. I have always and will always love and adore cats. If someone does not respect your interests, that is big red flag to stay away from that person. At the end of day, people have something that makes them happy. Cats make me happy!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I like dogs. But I love cats. I am open about my love of cats. I have not had much flak about it. At the rescue I'm known as the cat guy.

There are some great men in history who were cat lovers. Brilliant scientists like Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein - arguably the two greatest scientists who ever lived. Great writers like Charles Dickens, Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway. And Abraham Lincoln had his beloved cats in the White House.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my brothers have had cat's at one time or another. When we were kids we had cat's and dog's and it was the cat that ruled the house. My dad favoured the cat's and told us all that a cat doesn't need you it chooses to be with you. Nobody gave any of them any flak. My 17 year old was taking a daily picture of the cat and when I asked him why he said my mate's think he's cool and the girls want to cuddle him I had heard about men using babies to get women but apparently cat's work too.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like cats. Cats like me. I don't particularly care what anyone thinks about that. I don't care to any degree if someone thinks I am not straight.

If someone were to imply it in a negative fashion, that would reflect more negatively on them than me. Hasn't really ever happened to me, but it might be fun if it did! "so you think because I have a cat I am gay? Since we are engaged in speculation... I would guess this interests you because you have a bit of a crush on me. I am truly flattered! Sadly for you I prefer women. Hope you find your special someone you frisky devil!"

As to the "masculine" image, LOL. That image is as bad as the emaciated silicone and plastic surgery horrors that prance down catwalks at fashion shows!

Cats are cool.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband...a VERY straight male...is openly devoted to our cats and all cats. He's never gotten any "you must be gay" comments. He's just a total mush ball and has a particular soft spot for our furry felines. My dad is the same, he is what I would say is the best example of a "real straight man". There is no question that he is straight, and he presents himself as a man's man, but has the softest heart (that he also has no issues showing people)...and he also would never hesitate to display his love of animals, even cats. He currently has dogs, but that's just because they are more suited for his and the others who live in the home, lifestyle at the moment.
We had a cat who had fear aggression and anxiety, and my dad's feelings were actually hurt that Hank did not like him...Hank didn't like anybody though...he would say, "I've never had a cat not like me before", and you could see the sad look on his face when Hank would hiss at him. My dad is proud of the fact that animals like him, especially cats, because he knows that cats aren't "people pleasers" like dogs are, it's almost like validation that he truly is a good person.
Like K Koveshnikov wrote....
there is true masculinity and false masculinity :)
:yeah:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my brothers have had cat's at one time or another. When we were kids we had cat's and dog's and it was the cat that ruled the house. My dad favoured the cat's and told us all that a cat doesn't need you it chooses to be with you. Nobody gave any of them any flak. My 17 year old was taking a daily picture of the cat and when I asked him why he said my mate's think he's cool and the girls want to cuddle him I had heard about men using babies to get women but apparently cat's work too.
I would stay far away from a dude with a baby. But a cat? Would pique my interest for sure..at least a glance. Haha.