A male feral cat I feed is dominant over my resident female cat.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding a very sweet, loving feral male cat who gets along with Katy with whom I live with. I want to adopt this sweet male but I am concerned about how well this will go over with Katy. Katy goes outside with me when I go out. She has become friends with this male that I feed, they get along very well. The problem is, when I feed them together, the feral eats his food fast (which is understandable since he lives out doors), then will go over to Katy's bowl and finish her food. Katy normally eats inside, but I wanted to know how the feeding situation would go if I bring him inside full time before I adopt him, that is why I occasionally feed her outside with him. When I allow him indoors, Katy will move into the bedroom. She obviously tolerates him when they are outdoors, even does the cute little "nose bumps" when they meet each time, but I am concerned that she will resent me if I adopt him and bring him indoors full time. I know that he will take over her food and I do not know what to do about that. Katy, in the beginning projected her dominance over him, but somehow, with time, Greyson took over in dominance. Katy accepts this fact but is not comfortable with it. I would love to adopt Greyson but do not want Katy to be upset with adding him to our family permanently. I could sure use some advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The standard way to introduce a new cat to your home is to confine them - not your resident cat. So, when you do bring him in, he should be the one to be confined to a single room to help with the acclimation process. He needs to get used to a small area first before being introduced to other parts of your home. And, just because they can get along fairly well outdoors together does not discount the need to go through an introduction process once Greyson is indoors. Secondly, regarding the food issue - once he is brought inside and as he get used to his new home, you will likely be feeding them separately - not giving him the opportunity to steal her food. And, ideally, by the time he is allowed to roam free in the home, he may have gotten over some of the desire to eat her food. If not, then, a slow feeder dish might be an idea to help slow him down eating his so he is not as inclined to finish before Katy does.

You've been on this site long enough, I would guess you have seen some of the TCS articles on how to handle this situation? If not, here are a few you might want to look at. I also included one about the difference between a feral and a stray - it seems to me Greyson is a stray or abandoned cat, more so than an actual feral.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell whether Greyson is a stray rather than a feral. It has taken a long time, a year or so for him to be close to a human. The food issue I know will work itself out, I just am bafelled over the change of roles the 2 cats have assumed with Greyson now the alpha cat and Katy the submissive cat. It must have something to do with the fact that Greyson is a male cat, not yet neutered? I will check out those threads you posted for me, thank you. I do know how to introduce cats, just trying to figure out animal hierarchy, and why it would change. :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be that Greyson's change in behavior has to do with not being neutered, but likely more so because he is much more comfortable now with you and Katy, and there is generally always one cat that ends up being the dominant one. Food is a primary way to exude that dominance, especially in your situation since that is when they have the most interaction.

It isn't necessarily always the male. But, he has also been much more used to fending for himself than Katy, obviously; so he is asserting some of that independence now that he knows it is 'safe' to be around the two of you. That is somewhat why I suggested using standard introductions - him being confined and not her - since you are already concerned about Katy not reacting well to the situation. It might help her accept him and curb his 'overzealousness'.

Keep us posted!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, you have given me a different perspective regarding "who's the big cheese" (LOL, sorry) this issue of dominance. You are right in that the first step would be to get him neutered, and of course place him in his own room at first, to get him used to being indoors and start forging a new relationship with Katy by eventually "sharing" the inside of the house and allowing him to make our home his as well. He has been inside the house several times as a "walk through." Katy did not object outwardly but by leaving the living room as an intentional, " I am not having this" and retreating to the bedroom clearly showed disapproval. If the two did not truly like one another, I of course wouldn't even consider adding him into our family. Thanks again, FeebysOwner, and I will keep you posted!