A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG: I can't believe it. Both of them sniffed my hand while I was picking up the dirty dishes. That is Shaman and Treasure I'm talking about. And both of them talked away while I was out there. This makes me so happy. And yes Shadow returned, ate and left and then Shaman and Treasure returned to play. :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure relaxing.png
Pretty Shaman.jpg
Shadow with tail in food.jpg
This is a long shot but can anyone take a guess to their weight? Since I can't pick them up yet, all we can do is guess. Remember this is my first time with strays/ferals so I'm not familiar with the feeding situation. I can't afford $45 a week to feed them all. I'm wore out working 18 hours a day to make money to feed. But I want to continue feeding them especially since I've come this far. I'll upload photos again. Thanks.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting burned out working. If no one knows about weight how would I go about guessing? Thanks. :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't want to just stop feeding them as that is not right and they rely on me now. But like I stated above I can't afford $45 a week. What a mess. I've already been up since Midnight working to make money for food :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are decent foods at Walmart, local grocery stores, and Tractor Supply also has decent foods that don't cost much, maybe something there will work for you.

You also could utilize a method that @jacatbird uses, where you contact the cat food manufacturer and tell them you're feeding strays/ferals and ask if they have any coupons they would be willing to send to you :).

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There are decent foods at Walmart, local grocery stores, and Tractor Supply also has decent foods that don't cost much, maybe something there will work for you.

You also could utilize a method that @jacatbird uses, where you contact the cat food manufacturer and tell them you're feeding strays/ferals and ask if they have any coupons they would be willing to send to you :).
Thanks. I'll look into that. Closest Tractor Supply from me is 45 minute drive which entails leaving my mother alone for some time. But there's a Walmart nearby as well as of course local grocery stores. I'll look at the chart you referenced to me in my other post and compare. Thanks :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried that with the contacting companies and all I got was "Thank you for your support." :( I have to be doing something wrong.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise

If I can figure out how to use this stupid Ibotta app after the update I can get the cat food free with rebates.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity is this a good one? I found this at my store and while I somewhat trust Purina (don’t they own Freshpet?) I wanted to be sure before buying. I do mix the dry with the can food to make it last for them and this way all are satisfied with the meal.
5601C5B6-3A0B-4781-BE63-AA1AA1042850.jpeg
Thanks.

Oh yea And that saucer I put photo up asking if ok to feed Shaman? I figure out that it holds enough food for a feeding per cat. Pepper just grazed all day but then Pepper was an indoor cat so I didn't have to worry about happy ants, roaches, racoons and possums. Watching Shadow at the moment and she seems to be doing fine with the saucer amount of food. She likes 3 meals a day whereas Shaman and Treasure like 2 meals a day (skipping mid day). I hope that is enough for them or not too much.

Why can't things be simple again like they were when I had my Pepper. Now we have so many food recalls I get scared each time I buy a product. I'll be able to hold off til tomorrow to buy this but after tomorrow I'll definitely need more food. This is as stressful as buying food for me and Mom lol

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like Freshpet is still it's own company.
There are haters of Purina, but although they use one additive I'm unhappy about, they're not bad.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That food isn't terrible, it has a decent amount of mentions of meat throughout the ingredients list.

By the way, have you seen this article yet?

How To Keep Ants Out Of Cat Food
Yes I have. Thanks again for the article though. BTW: Shadow didn't even finish all of the food on the saucer and she eats more than the others so now I pretty much know how to portion out the food for them without a lot of it going to waste.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There are haters of Purina, but although they use one additive I'm unhappy about, they're not bad.
Really? I saw Freshpet quote Purina about something so that's why I thought they were owned by them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And yea true. I suppose it's better than raiding trash cans and/or eating bread and pizza crust the guy across the street used to throw out for them (I'm talking about the man who is challenged so I know it's not intentional on his part)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure just licked off a spoon I had in my hand with her food. Shaman was a bit leery but watched. I think for cats that lost their human and then kicked to the curb by that person's kids, these cats are doing great trusting someone again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina ONE and Purina Naturals are fine. Buy the biggest bag for the best per-pound price. For canned food, Friskies and Special Kitty pate flavors are fine. Don't want to go broke while helping kitties!

You can generally assume most cats are about 10-12 pounds.

I think they'll be asking for pets very soon! You might not be able to pick them up for a while (I have born-as-pets cats who don't like to be picked up) but once they're sniffing you and eating from your hand, petting is the next step.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina ONE and Purina Naturals are fine. Buy the biggest bag for the best per-pound price. For canned food, Friskies and Special Kitty pate flavors are fine. Don't want to go broke while helping kitties!

You can generally assume most cats are about 10-12 pounds.

I think they'll be asking for pets very soon! You might not be able to pick them up for a while (I have born-as-pets cats who don't like to be picked up) but once they're sniffing you and eating from your hand, petting is the next step.
They were a bit leery again this morning but I'm wondering if that's because Shadow was also there. Either way they all ate at same time in separate parts of their area with no fights, at least til they ate an then the growling and hissing began.