A little worried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have kittens! 4 kittens, One stillborn and no luck reviving 😞 mama does not appear to be producing milk ...... I feel another challenge coming on

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens nursing? Hopefully her milk will come in. It can take a day or so, but usually the suckling produces colostrum first then milk.

If not, do you have supplies? Have you fed newborns before?

Here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

How is mama? Did she clean the kittens and eat the placentas?

Keep us posted!

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had a fifth one 3 hours after the others which cane every 20 minutes. I did my best but it was stillborn as well. I’m so sad 😞 2 of the 3 are latched on, struggling with the third but she’s trying. Mama ate two of the placentas and kittens were cleaned.

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had vet tech come to house and feeding tubes are too large. She said kittens are VERY tiny. Mama is not producing a lot but seems to be enough for the three she has. I am heading to shelter to get supplies to feed just in case I need them. I have KMR but my bottle nipples are too big for these tiny ones

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Good you are getting supplies. Most kittens this tiny and struggling anyway need to be syringe-fed. If they can’t suckle mom they can’t suckle a bottle. It’s drop by drop in the side of the mouth using a tiny syringe, allowing time for them to swallow and breathe between drops. Wrap the kitten in a cloth like a burrito while feeding, and feed tummy down - never on the back.

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama seems to be providing enough and they are all latched on. Some of her nipples will not produce anything but others are. Is that normal? I know usually the suckling will help get things moving ...... but it’s just not working on some. Luckily there are three kittens and eight nipples

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far so good. Mama is starting to eat more and drinking the kitten formula. Just worried as they are sooooo tiny. Largest is 2.4 oz and smallest is 1.8 oz. but they are sucking away

Thump417

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just thought I would check in and let you know everyone is doing fabulous! Tiniest baby who was 1.8 oz on day 2 is now up to 2.4 oz. all are nursing well, mama is eating and drinking like a champ. No more sub q fluids for her. Thank you all for the support! ❤❤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness 😍 what an amazing, terrific update!! Thank you, and --->YOU are absolutely fantastic!!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What good news, indeed! :) Now that things are looking up, I scrolled back to the first post, and we have not seen any pictures of the new family. Pictures, please. :)