A little help getting Jackie to eat his hairball goop?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3-4 times a year he needs it. When he starts making little gagging noises I give it to him. I have tried chicken and even fish flavored and he flat out refuses to eat it! Holding him still, to pry open his jaws & shove the hairball medicine on his tongue is well a trial. Next time I might wrap him in a towel first. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Is there anything I can do to get my picky eater to eat it willingly!?!?!?! I tried the same stuff on other cats and they all ate it willing!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Why not try other brands/types? Some folks have luck with just using something as simple as margarine/butter to help with hairballs. You can give a dab of one of those just to see if he will take it. If he does, you could probably administer a couple of days or so in a row, and the reduce giving it to him once a week.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my guys absolutely refuses to eat the hairball gel stuff, but he likes Vet's Best Hairball Relief tablets. Who can figure cats out :rolleyes2: . My other cat seems to love the gel stuff, but doesn't really like the Vet's Best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try the tablets. I know he loves butter.

The texture is like sticky toothpaste. Since I have tried 2 brands and 2 flavors, I think he just hates it!

Could I try squirting 1/2 a teaspoon or 1 teaspoon of olive oil every other day or maybe a few days in a roll to see if that makes his hairballs pass?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could mix it into one of his meals to see if he'll take it that way. If he's an avid eater, he may not notice it in a serving of wet food.

My girl won't take it either so I have to force it in her. The best way I found to do it was to put it on my finger and put it on the roof of her mouth, getting her front teeth to scrape it off my finger. I only have to open her mouth wide enough to get one finger (plus goop) in and it's just a quick scrape. She doesn't fight as much as if I would try to get in on her tongue. And it doesn't get pushed around, making a mess all over her mouth and my hand, with all the tongue flicking.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just push that or a probiotic paste, for instance, into the side of my cat's mouth and once it's there, he eats it. I approach them from behind so I am over them, get down to their level so there is no escaping, and then I just push it in the side and make sure it doesn't come back out. Sometimes it stays on the teeth. Doesn't matter. I'm finding this works with meds that I am able to crush, as well, like Pepcid.