A Little Fishy...

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I want to start adding more fish into my cats' diet. I am planning on giving 1/4 of a cup of fish each once a week.

My questions are:

Raw or cooked? So far they have loved raw, but I want to know what's best and why.

What type of fish? They love sardines and cod, but I am unsure on what the most ideal fish is to feed.

Thanks in advance!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No cod but sardines would be good. I cook everything simply because I forget and leave it out all night. Then sick cats in the morning

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've read that if you can find canned sardines in water without salt it can be a good choice. They're small enough that it's easy to add a little in their meal.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally would refrain from adding that much fish to the diet. It's not something cats would naturally eat in the wild and it can be very addictive for cats (meaning they may hold out for it). It's also one of the most common allergies in cats, and seeing as they haven't evolved to eat it I can see why. IMO fish is best as a treat only.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With sardines, make sure it’s only in water and no oils, salt, seasonings, etc. and DEFINITELY check the sodium on the nutritional info. Make sure it is under 100 mg per serving, a safe level for cat consumption!! I made the mistake of getting some sardines in only water thinking it was okay. When I got home I saw that the sodium was 240 mg! Which is way too much for a cat and would be harmful.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Limit fish / seafood to just treats and under 10% of the diet. Nether are good for cats if fed too often. 14 cup of fish weekly is too much IMO. A few small pieces a week is plenty.

Commerical fish based canned cat food tends to have sardines, mackeral, "ocean white fish" that is a general term for any white fleshed fish, tuna, and salmon. You can buy any of those fish fresh from a reputable fish market. Canned fish in plain water is fine. Avoid cans that contain oils, salt, flavorings, preservatives, and other ingredients added.

With sardines, make sure it’s only in water and no oils, salt, seasonings, etc. and DEFINITELY check the sodium on the nutritional info. Make sure it is under 100 mg per serving, a safe level for cat consumption!! I made the mistake of getting some sardines in only water thinking it was okay. When I got home I saw that the sodium was 240 mg! Which is way too much for a cat and would be harmful.

But that's 240 mg for a Human sized portion. Obviously you'll give a cat way less than a Human sized portion :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend avoiding fish for cats altogether for a few reasons:

1. It is not an ideal protein for cats. And it is a common irritant/allergy in IBD cats.
2. Many cats get addicted to fish and will hold out for it, not wanting to eat other foods.
3. Exceptional times require exceptional measures. When you need to hide medicine or restart a sick cat’s eating, fish can do it. But not if you squandered your “nuclear option” by offering it regularly.

I would save the fish for sick days or medicine meals.

Instead, I would see if your cats would enjoy chicken gizzards. The gizzard is a chewy organ that does wonders for dental health. Many cats love them cooked or raw. If you can get your cats eating the occasional gizzard, that could save you some money in dental cleanings and care down the road. 👍

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would also exercise caution with fish, speaking as someone who did not. It can be unspeakably hard to get the cat off of "fish road" once they decide that is all they are going to eat and, as was mentioned, it is not good for them in any quantity. Nope, never running back into the fire on that one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help! I already feed them about a tablespoon each of raw chicken breast once a week, so I think I might change that to gizzards if they will eat them.

As for the fish, perhaps I will save it for a once a month treat, and limit that to a sardine each. Also, thank you for pointing out the salt intake in sardines! I always use in springwater, and I just checked the tin I have on hand and it says 90grams per serving of sodium, thank goodness.

I have given my cats fish before, but only occasionally and only offcuts when I myself eat some fresh caught fish. Perhaps because it was so infrequent they never showed any sign of addiction. Either way, I will hold off on the fish!

Thank you all.