A less dusty litter

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I want to know which litter makes less dust. First I bought Fresh Step, a chip kind, it was too big, and Andy was having a hard time. So I bought Swheat Scoop, which was smaller but it smell like hell. Now Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m using Fresh Step Scoopable Clumping litter, which is almost great because itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s small and doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smell ugly, but now Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m having a dust problem. All the furniture where I placed the litter box is dusty. Does anybody know of a less dusty litter? Thank you

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use chn scratch or egg layer crumbles it is low dust reasonable good oder control and is cheap... if you have the money try worlds best

lolakitty23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use Tidy Cats Scoop Crystals Blend. It's not dust free, but definitely better than Fresh Step. The crystals help, I think.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Precious Cat really is almost totally dust free. Petsmart sells it. I love it. It also clumps extremely well too. It also has excellent oder control with no scent. I've tried so many litters and I think this one is the best....with the exception of World's Best which I can't afford. Someday I want to try that as it sounds like it really is the best. Precious Cat is definitely the best as far as all the other basic brands though.

lilycurly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to try something new (at least it was for me) and absolutely dust free, try the litter made of journal (Yesterday's news at Wal-mart) It's hard to beleive, but it's really excellent for both the smell and absorbency. Kitties and I fell in love!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot afford an expensive litter; I will go to the store and see. Is yesterdayâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s news a clumping product?

Thanks

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Yesterday's News before and it really is pretty good. Definitely not dusty.
It comes in pellet form, like Feline Pine. You can get scented or unscented. It is not a clumping litter. If your cat hasn't used that kind before you may have to introduce it slowly. As anything, it will depend upon your cat. It's not too expensive, middle of the road. At Walmart I would think it would be quite inexpensive. Personally, I think the good clumping litters, even though are more expensive, are the best bet as even though initially they are more expensive they last longer.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Grapegal45.

Today I bought Yesterdayâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s News. I got tired of getting that clay off Andy, that stuff can stick very badly. I hope Yesterday's News its the litter Andy will be using. He immediately sat on it.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks ScamperFarms, I hope this is it.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we use it around here, and have been for about two months now. and i tell you what a diffrence. as long as i scoop everyday you wouldnt even know we had litter boxes. and thats saying something with the amount of kitties we have, LOL..the only time it gets slightly odorful is whemn theres only a bit left and its ready to be changed. But I know its ready to be changed and out it goes

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried Fresh step for the paw points and found it too dusty and smelly(perfume smell), Then I tried Scoop away for the same paw points and the dust looked like what would be leftover after a bomb went off
, so I am back to tidy cat for now. I can't afford some of the better litters that are supposed to be less dusty. I wish there was one, because tidy cat doesn't clump that well.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much ScamperFarms for the input.

Thanks Catlover7731
, I was thinking about Scoop Away, glad to know is the same stuff as Fresh Step. I was getting a headache with the dust, but I realize my biggest problem was Andy getting glue all over.
I was going to buy tidy cat, but thought, “Gum just like Fresh Step.†My cat steps on it while trying to cover it, the clay is hard to take off, I can not get him wet every time he goes to the bathroom. So we are trying Yesterdayâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s News, no gum and no dust.

dangcatsfault

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use World's Best at the santuary and it does have dust. Actually a bit more than clay litter. In comparison WB is lighter in weight than clay litter but lasts longer than other name brand litters It doesn't stick to the litter box when you try to clean it either. (which as far as I'm concerned makes it the best for that fact alone) It has a smell I had to get used to.

If your cats will use them you might try out one of those covered boxes with the swinging door.

One thing I've tried at home and works well at keeping the dust off my furniture, besides the covered boxes, is when you have cleaned the box and are going to refill it with fresh litter, take it outside the house and pour the litter into the box. That first big pour seems to have a lot of the lighter dusty particles at the top of the container.

~cindy~

philbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by dangcatsfault

We use World's Best at the santuary and it does have dust. Actually a bit more than clay litter...

That first big pour seems to have a lot of the lighter dusty particles at the top of the container.

~cindy~
while i did find a little dust at the top of the bag, and thus it came out at the initial fill of the box, i find the scooping and raking afterwards produces close to zero dust. when i had regular clumping litter (ever clean, etc) raking after scooping kicked up dust storms. i find world's best to be so much better in that regard. it does have a slight smell, but i don't think it's unpleasant. it's definatley not a perfume type scent.

out of curiosity, do you have the original or extra strength (multiple cat)?

cheers,
phil

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just as a reality check, most litters seem fairly dusty when poured out of the bag/box/jug into the litterbox to set it up. I usually do this chore in the courtyard, let it settle for a minute, then bring the filled litterbox inside and leave the dust cloud outside.

I tried maybe half a dozen brands before deciding Tidy Cat and Arm & Hammer are the two best "clumping" litters to fit Nano's needs. They don't seem dusty during daily scooping.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll keep the replies in mind.

Yesterday, Andy ate three pieces of litter, I totally forgot some cats like to eat paper especially newspaper. I will keep an eye on him. aaaaahhh!!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Philbert

while i did find a little dust at the top of the bag, and thus it came out at the initial fill of the box, i find the scooping and raking afterwards produces close to zero dust. when i had regular clumping litter (ever clean, etc) raking after scooping kicked up dust storms. i find world's best to be so much better in that regard. it does have a slight smell, but i don't think it's unpleasant. it's definatley not a perfume type scent.

out of curiosity, do you have the original or extra strength (multiple cat)?

cheers,
phil
I also use WBCL. I usually buy the 34 pound bag (Original formula). I had bought a bag that was rather dusty and e-mailed the company about it. Since that time (maybe just a coincidence), the company now vacuum seals their 34 pound bag and there is much less dust. And yes, there is some corn scent, but I can put up with that so much more than the urine scent I smelled using regular clay. I also love that it doesn't weigh a ton!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte

I also use WBCL. I usually buy the 34 pound bag (Original formula). I had bought a bag that was rather dusty and e-mailed the company about it. Since that time (maybe just a coincidence), the company now vacuum seals their 34 pound bag and there is much less dust. And yes, there is some corn scent, but I can put up with that so much more than the urine scent I smelled using regular clay. I also love that it doesn't weigh a ton!!
yes various grains at my house smell much better than clay