A Kitten Showed Up At My Window...

stopmakingsense

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya everyone! So earlier tonight I noticed a roughly 6-7 month old kitten without any ID or collar outside my apartment building, and spent about 5 minutes with her. She was very, very sweet and accepting of petting her. Additionally, she was scared of the car noises around us, so I feel that she's not feral. About 5 hours later, she approached my window (which was open) and started meowing at me to let her in. As soon as I opened the screen she came in and became territorial with my own kitty. She also has been meowing in a very adamant matter when I make eye contact and trying to escape ever since coming in. Considering the fact that she seems lost, I tried to accommodate her and put my own kitty in my bedroom for her own safety. I've made a makeshift litter box for her for the time being (a cardboard box with lining and litter - good enough?) and given her food and water in the room she seems to most like, but she's been meowing at the window for a little while now. I am afraid to let her go back outside though, because this is a college neighbourhood on a highway, thus safety is pretty iffy for a cat.

I've put up notices around my building and area for her, and am starting to worry because I can't seem to make her comfortable (even by ignoring her and letting her explore my apartment.) Any advice would be MORE than greatly appreciated.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for looking after her. She may be micro chipped if she has no collar on her. Can you take her somewhere to be scanned? My kitten is an indoor one and doesn't always wear a collar so I'd hope someone would do that if she was found . She seems too friendly to be a stray !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stopmakingsense

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, it's almost 4 in the morning so I can't. That being said, now that I've completely removed my attention from her aside from a kind glance every now and then, she's now become quite comfortable on a guitar case. Her eyes are very relaxed, so I'm feeling a bit better. Still would really love some advice on keeping a stranger of a kitty comfortable though. I was thinking of giving her a blanket, but was afraid my scent would be offputting. What do you think?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a fleece one ? Cats love that texture . Put that down for her near the case and let her know where food / water is and maybe just sit or sleep (as 4am ) near her. Keep talking to her so she knows you are friendly . She needs time to suss you out

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs a home, so thank you for taking her in. Unfortunately, especially in a college town, kittens and cats get left behind when people move.

The meowing is her responding to her new environment. She will quickly adjust to the food, comfort, and love.

If you keep her, she needs spaying asap. If not, find a no-kill shelter that will re-home her.

We would love to see a picture! :)

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Often, when a cat is put into an unfamiliar place, they will meow quite a bit and want to leave. With stray cats, this is part of getting used to having a single owner...since before, he/she went where and when they pleased. If it were me, I would let the kitty back outside if it is safe, but continue to take care of it and eventually it will become more used to being inside. Our stray addition, Binks, didn't like being inside much for the first year, but he got used to getting fed regularly and was allowed to come and go as he pleased...eventually he decided he enjoyed the indoors better. He still loves to go outside for the afternoon, but comes running when called and he now enjoys the house and the other 3 cats. Keep up the good work!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just still find it hard to think somebody would just abandon their cat hence why I said about the chip ! Still shocks me after months of reading threads on this site!