A great product if you have a stressed out kitty

bengalmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DO NOT BUY THIS. I got one for my cat who has been having anxiety pee breaks all over the house. I thought this might help. First of all, I had an allergic reaction later that night that can only be traced back to these things (as it was the only thing out of the ordinary) My hands swelled up to the point that my wedding rings had to come off. . Reason #1 to never put them near your fur-baby. And reason #2, within the first 2 hours of having it on, he got his lower jaw caught in it and nearly asphyxiated himself! Thank god I was there to cut it off of him because the "safety release" totally didn't work. After cutting it off I pulled on the safety release and had to put considerable human force on it to break it. No way would my even 18lb Bengal come close to being able to break free. 

These are dangerous & I WILL be contacting the company to complain. This was meant to help ease his stress and instead caused absolute panic & distress. We will be trying other avenues from here on out. 

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I didn't really even get the collars on the cats, not for very long anyway, because these collars are just messy. The texture is like a flea collar so when I tried to adjust them to put on the cats, all the white stuff just flaked off. I wouldn't buy them again or recommend them to anyone. Feliway or catnip spray was better, but still not that great for my situation. 
It says on the packaging that the white flakey stuff is an agent they use to apply the calming pheromones, but is not actually the mode of action itself. It's ok for it to flake off, it's not needed to work. I've used these with limited success, depending on the cat, and open the package/rub off all of the flakes over a sink to minimize the mess later.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

DO NOT BUY THIS. I got one for my cat who has been having anxiety pee breaks all over the house. I thought this might help. First of all, I had an allergic reaction later that night that can only be traced back to these things (as it was the only thing out of the ordinary) My hands swelled up to the point that my wedding rings had to come off. . Reason #1 to never put them near your fur-baby. And reason #2, within the first 2 hours of having it on, he got his lower jaw caught in it and nearly asphyxiated himself! Thank god I was there to cut it off of him because the "safety release" totally didn't work. After cutting it off I pulled on the safety release and had to put considerable human force on it to break it. No way would my even 18lb Bengal come close to being able to break free. 

These are dangerous & I WILL be contacting the company to complain. This was meant to help ease his stress and instead caused absolute panic & distress. We will be trying other avenues from here on out. 
You need to make sure the collar is tight enough so they can't get their jaws under it in the first place. A regular collar will do the same thing if it's too loose. 

norma neary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just bought the Sentry Calming Collar at Pet Smart, it smells fantastic and my Daisy has only had it on for about an hour, but it seems to be helping.  She is a very nervous cat. 

stridermomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My opinion is that this collar is it unsafe, BUT you can make it safe! The breakaway design does not work to what it claims to, so instead, I mimicked another reviewers post on the Sentry website. Buy a breakaway cat collar then cut up the sentry calming collar to fit around one part of the fabric on the regular collar (the sentry collar is made of a plastic rubbery material) and attach using teeny itty-bitty zip ties (found at Walmart) over the regular cat collar. Make sure you cut the zip ties all the way to the hole where it fastens on the zip tie so it doesn't agitate the neck or poke him/her. I didn't see a reason to use the entire collar, plus it creates a buffer so the cat doesn't get any rashes from the pheromone dust touching the cats neck directly (if that were to be an issue). I purchased this collar to help alleviate my 5 month old Bengal kittens incessant meowing. He's getting neutered in 2 weeks, and his incessant meowing and attention seeking behavior is making myself and my husband go crazy. I figured that this was a good solution until he was neutered, and then I'll take it off to see his behavior. In the meantime, I'm going to work on training him to modify his attention seeking behavior by quiet training him. I've done a lot of research on how to train your cat to get attention by being quiet, which is a veryyyy hard task when the meowing is incessant. I've checked with his vet and my Bengal baby is healthy, just demanding. Since I put the collar on him 6 hours ago, he has cut down on meowing by at least 75% and sleeps a lot more. Has anyone had experience with these collars on side effects and potential health hazards if worn for a few weeks straight?

stridermomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: took it off him 8 hours later because he seemed stoned...staring off into space and falling asleep every 10 minutes if I didn't wake him up. Within 1 minute he was back to his old self. I think ill try to cut down on the size attached to his breakaway collar. I'm thinking maybe it's too much pheromone for him and it's zonking him out. I don't want the pheromones to change who he is. Man this is hard! I don't want to hurt my little baby boy!