A great product if you have a stressed out kitty

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought King Arthur's pregnant mother in to my home, all my kitties were very accepting and helpful... Except for my Paige.  She became very stressed out.  Marking and showing aggression and displeasure at the new kitty and her kittens.  I tried everything... Feliway and even stress tablets to no avail.  At the end of my rope, my vet recommended the Pro Pet Calming Collar.  I was skeptical.  But within minutes, I could see a change!!!  Now, you can no longer get the Pro Pet collar (I just talked to my vet on the phone.  They discontinued it and he happened to get some boxes of it.  But once that is gone.  That's it.)  Much to the dismay of everyone who has tried it. 

It works by mimicing the mothers pheremones to calm a cat.  They work for a month or more.  But trust me, DO NOT take off a collar until you have one to replace it. 

However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, this collar also seems promising.  The Good Behavior Calming Collar, It seems to be close to the same thing. 

Heres a link for it so you can see the review yourself. 

http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/34...r-calming-collar-for-cats-reviews/reviews.htm

I swear by these!  They are wonderful products!!! 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard great things about this one actually, from my pet sitter who has a very stressed kitty..... She says it works like a charm :nod:
I also love it that it has a breakaway feature :bigthumb:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne, I wrote a review for it!!  Carolina, yes they are wonderful.  I can't be without them now!!  They smell great, too.  I have friends that joke and say they are going to go buy one for themselves to wear because they smell so good and relaxing!  So, I guess it works on people, too!  No more need for Prozac maybe?  Haha!!

fluffycakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so so glad i got to hear about this product! I ordered 2 from amazon, i hope it will work. We recently moved with our kitty from south america to europe, and he's been confused with the timezone and sleep time, and been finding things weird and new. He gets really stressed when we go to sleep and meows really loud all night long. He is stressed and gets us stressed. Will post and update on this later on the review part. :) 

chiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I must be doing something wrong.  I put one of these collars on a semi-tame house feral and nothing has changed   :(

Last edited:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I must be doing something wrong.  I put one of these collars on a semi-tame house feral and nothing has changed   :(
Not sure what you mean by "nothing has changed..." If you mean that s/he isn't any friendlier, the collar alone won't magically turn a feral (or semi-feral) into a lap kitty, or even a kitty that tolerates touching. Unfortunately it's much more work than that. (I speak from experience. :lol3: )

What are your problems more specifically?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Calming Collar helps with anxiety, aggression and stressed or fearful kitties... It doesn't help a feral or semi feral become loveable... You're asking it to perform a miracle!!  The only thing that can change a semi feral is time and patience and understanding of cats and behaviors... Not to mention respect.  Sorry but you are using it for something it isn't intended for...

chiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure what you mean by "nothing has changed..." If you mean that s/he isn't any friendlier, the collar alone won't magically turn a feral (or semi-feral) into a lap kitty, or even a kitty that tolerates touching. Unfortunately it's much more work than that. (I speak from experience.
)
What are your problems more specifically?
We have had Pretty Boy (cream, LH, feral, TNR'd 6 years ago) in our home since October.  He has been in a taming cage and we have been working with him all the time.  We can now pet him and pick him up from the cage (he still runs when he is loose).  The problem is that he hisses a lot from anxiety whenever he sees us.  We know he will probably never be a lap kitty, but we would like him to be more comfortable in our home.  We had to retrap PB and Sammy (orange/white, SH, feral) again because the city was building a stupid road through their territory.  I'm alway grateful for advice  :)

chiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Calming Collar helps with anxiety, aggression and stressed or fearful kitties... It doesn't help a feral or semi feral become loveable... You're asking it to perform a miracle!!  The only thing that can change a semi feral is time and patience and understanding of cats and behaviors... Not to mention respect.  Sorry but you are using it for something it isn't intended for...
You are right.  I was hoping the calming collar would ease some of Pretty Boy's anxiety.  He hisses A LOT.  Anyone have some advice for that?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it at you?  Is he semi feral, feral?  It depends on the situation.  Many would need more information to be able to give advice here. Sorry, I was only reading the post with my post included... I can tell you how to tame a semi feral.  It does require work.  Sometimes it doesn't work miracles either.  Sometimes semi feral and feral stay that way.  They are too far gone. 

I would like to add that Feliway and The Calming Collar together are very strong and seem to enhance eachothers effectiveness.  I have heard from many people using both together who have had outstanding results... However, they aren't meant to perform miracles again... They do NOT help a semi feral or feral cat become a loveable lap cat.  Only time, patience and understanding will work with that... Sometimes not even that will work, sometimes it just isn't meant to be and you're lucky if you have a somewhat friendly relationship with the cat. 

1.  Get down on cats level while cat is still confined to carrier.  Expect hissing and growling.  Talk calmly to kitty and offer treats. 

2.  Eventually, for every good interaction aka no hissing, growling or swiping... They get a treat.  The goal is to get them to take the treat out of your hand without hesitation or fear.  To establish trusts. 

3.  Start petting them while they are having their treats.  Again, this could revert them a bit.  if it does, just step away and try again later.  Don't punish cat. 

Last edited:

chiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it at you?  Is he semi feral, feral?  It depends on the situation.  Many would need more information to be able to give advice here. Sorry, I was only reading the post with my post included... I can tell you how to tame a semi feral.  It does require work.  Sometimes it doesn't work miracles either.  Sometimes semi feral and feral stay that way.  They are too far gone. 

I would like to add that Feliway and The Calming Collar together are very strong and seem to enhance eachothers effectiveness.  I have heard from many people using both together who have had outstanding results... However, they aren't meant to perform miracles again... They do NOT help a semi feral or feral cat become a loveable lap cat.  Only time, patience and understanding will work with that... Sometimes not even that will work, sometimes it just isn't meant to be and you're lucky if you have a somewhat friendly relationship with the cat. 

1.  Get down on cats level while cat is still confined to carrier.  Expect hissing and growling.  Talk calmly to kitty and offer treats. 

2.  Eventually, for every good interaction aka no hissing, growling or swiping... They get a treat.  The goal is to get them to take the treat out of your hand without hesitation or fear.  To establish trusts. 

3.  Start petting them while they are having their treats.  Again, this could revert them a bit.  if it does, just step away and try again later.  Don't punish cat. 
Hi R3 and the King
Yes, Pretty Boy (cream, LH, feral, very beautiful) hisses at both my husband and me.  It's really disconcerting that he is so anxious.  We would be tempted to just leave him alone (we have other house ferals that we just let them be). That's what he wants.  But we need to handle him because he is going to have major surgery on one of his leg.  When we retrapped him, we noticed he walked really funny.  We took him to the vet and they x-rayed.  PB has bad problems in both his legs.  One leg has been totally broken in two.  It has healed that way and the vet says he isn't in any pain.  But it is unstable.  We are taking him to a vet university to have a brace inserted.  It's about 3 hours away.  The other leg is out of joint and healed that way.  We will address that one at a later date.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

melba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well worth the $15.00! I adopted brother and sister kittens June 23rd. Last night, Sept 23rd, is the first full night sleep I've had since then..They would run full speed at night, jumping on top of kitchen cabinets, and rough play to the point I would have to break it up. I read about this collar and decided to try it on Boomer, the male, because he is the more aggressive. I seen a difference right away. The only problem was that he has not ever had a collar on him and he did not like it to say the least. In his attempt to remove it he got his bottom jaw caught in it..I guess I need to tighten it a little more..

Any way I give it two thumbs up..

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please, please, for your cat's sake, read the articles posted on line on these calming collars. They may work at calming your cat down, but after a month or so, (could be longer, varies by brand) your cat could have deep, ulcerated sores under the collar that could go unnoticed for quite some time. Please try a safer product like Feliway or Bach's Flower Essesences.

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bach's Rescue Remedy for Pets. Natural, safe, and works. Calming collars are dangerous, too many kitties have suffered ulcerated sores (some requiring surgery) after wearing them for several months. If the cat is feral, patience, love, a soft voice and a feeding routine work best. The older the cat, the longer it can take to make the cat feel comfortable around you. Talk to your vet. There are human cross-over anti-anxiety drugs you can give to your cat short term.

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
JUST SAY NO TO COLLARS- flea- caling whatever collars are LOADED with chernicals- Rescue Rernedy is ade fro FLOWERS- think about that 

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
whoops there goes a key- letter after L stopped working

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I disagree, these collars didn't work on my 3 cats at all. I bought 3 collars in 2012, a month after taking in the 3rd cat. The 2 resident cats were afraid and confused by the new cat. The new cat was very curious about the resident cats though, watching them and trying to do what they were doing. The resident cats would run from the new cat or swat at him. He would chase them and howl at them. There a lot of fights I'd immediately break up. I couldn't leave them all together unsupervised. Clearly, my introductions didn't go well. But I found these collars on Amazon and thought they might at least calm the aggression. I didn't really even get the collars on the cats, not for very long anyway, because these collars are just messy. The texture is like a flea collar so when I tried to adjust them to put on the cats, all the white stuff just flaked off. I wouldn't buy them again or recommend them to anyone. Feliway or catnip spray was better, but still not that great for my situation.