A good pill splitter to cut 2.5 mg amlodipine into 4 parts

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It just seems so 'up and down' but I guess given the dose it isn't a big deal if it is off a bit.

Although, I am dealing with this so poorly, I just realized she has now taken a total of one pill in three days' time, not four. I don't even really know how I did that. :eek: I gotta 'get a grip'!!
I was actually very worried about this (my last cat's medicine schedule was horrendous so I was stressed to the max about Freddie's blood pressure pill), and then vet said that if I accidentally gave him his meds twice in one day or forgot a day he'd be ok because it takes time to build up in their system and see the effects. Just obviously don't do it that often. Of course, your cat's case may be different.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad, I have the opposite problem, i.e. I've tried every which way to give Carleton his pill and just when I think I've figured it out I find the 1/4 tablet on the stairs or in another room. The little conniver must hold it in his mouth even after I syringe some water to help him swallow it. He's too darn smart for me. :lol: I just keep telling myself I'm doing the best I can.
Luckily they're so small that squishing mine into a soft treat worked. Freddie's the magical kind of cat that just eats it if I drop it in his food.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far, on the CKD forum, two folks have told me that they use razor blades (like the ones used in box cutters), but I have asked them to let me know how they hold the pill in place. I could not possibly use fingers on that tiny pill and apply a razor blade to it!! Will let you know what they tell me.
I bet you could just roll up a piece of masking tape, stick it to the counter, and then stick the pill to the top side.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was giving twice daily transdermal methimazole along with the transdermal amlodipine, so both ears had to be cleaned daily and I had to keep a rotation chart. So I totally get not wanting to give two transdermal meds!
Transdermal is always a good choice if there's no other way, but yes. My cats on mirataz had crusty gross ears they didn't want cleaned and it was difficult on all of us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
r-kins r-kins - Here is the one I am going to order from Amazon. I asked a question about this using this cutter on amlodipine and a person was so kind to respond with a video showing them cutting that same pill into halves, and then again into quarters!! I wish I could share the video, but I can't.

Amazon.com: The EQUADOSE Pill Cutter V2. A New Kind of Pill Splitter with Double Stainless Steel Blades and a Centering Device. Great for Cutting Tablets for You and Your Pet. : Health & Household
It looked like it worked really well???? I love the thing holding the pill in place.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looked like it worked really well???? I love the thing holding the pill in place.
If you want to see the video, go to the Q&A for this product, type: Need to cut 6mm (<1/4") very hard round pills into the search box, and my question as well as the video should come up. You might also try this link: Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

I have another one that has that slider in it, it can be tricky too.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to see the video, go to the Q&A for this product, type: Need to cut 6mm (<1/4") very hard round pills into the search box, and my question as well as the video should come up. You might also try this link: Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

I have another one that has that slider in it, it can be tricky too.
I watched it and am going to give this a try. With pills so small, everything is fiddly. The one I purchased (and canceled) said it was hard to center which is the biggest issue. This one seems way easier to use since it stays in place and has two razors.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I watched it and am going to give this a try. With pills so small, everything is fiddly. The one I purchased (and canceled) said it was hard to center which is the biggest issue. This one seems way easier to use since it stays in place and has two razors.
I guess we will both find out soon enough!!

I also liked your idea of the masking tape - only I was thinking of masking tape on the bottom, and clear tape on the top so I could see the pill when trying to use a razor blade. Another thing I think I am going to try! If this pill cutter doesn't work as well as that video shows, I might place a small piece of tape underneath the pill to help hold it into place (that will likely bomb, most of my ideas don't pan out!).

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
r-kins r-kins - Here is the one I am going to order from Amazon. I asked a question about this using this cutter on amlodipine and a person was so kind to respond with a video showing them cutting that same pill into halves, and then again into quarters!! I wish I could share the video, but I can't.

Amazon.com: The EQUADOSE Pill Cutter V2. A New Kind of Pill Splitter with Double Stainless Steel Blades and a Centering Device. Great for Cutting Tablets for You and Your Pet. : Health & Household
This is the splitter I use for methimazole. It is better than any other I have used and still cuts great after months of use. It is still a bit fiddly to center the pill but it does give a nice clean cut. I usually halve the pill with the splitter and quarter it with the nail scissors so I don’t know how it will go with quartering.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Haven't gotten the new pill cutter yet but took Feeby into the vet's for a BP recheck. I have managed so far to getting close to splitting the pills into quarters with a combination of 'techniques' but still would prefer to use a pill cutter for quartering if at all possible.

After 10 days on 0.625mg amlodipine, her 3 BP readings were all between 140-150, which is considered normal. How she could go from over 300 to normal in 10 days on the dose that is half what the vet wanted to start with is above and beyond me. This was the same tech that got the over 300 readings, and this time she had no problems with getting a heartbeat through the doppler practically instantaneously.

I am sure the vet will want another recheck in probably 1-2 weeks just to make sure today was not some kind of fluke or an 'operator error'. I will find that out Monday when the vet is back in the office.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let us know your opinion once you receive it and try cutting the pill in quarters.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FKCJS76/?tag=thecatsite

Hey all! I received mine and it's awesome. It does take a little finagling to get the pill exactly where it needs to be for the second cut, but it came out really even with no crumbling. Thumbs up from me! It would be more difficult with a smaller pill because the 2.5 mg amlodipine is basically as small as the part that holds it in place goes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use this one. $ 2. 25
And you are using it on amlodipine, 2.5 mg, which is a pill that is thick, hard, and only 6mm (< 1/4") in diameter? I have two other pill cutters that do a pretty good job with most any pill BESIDES this one.

If you do use your pill cutter on this particular pill, covet it!!!

Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
And you are using it on amlodipine, 2.5 mg, which is a pill that is thick, hard, and only 6mm (< 1/4") in diameter? I have two other pill cutters that do a pretty good job with most any pill BESIDES this one.

If you do use your pill cutter on this particular pill, covet it!!!
~ I use it on several size pills. So far so good ! I believe that eventually the blade will dull and a new cutter needed.
Sometimes a pill needs to be liquefied to split the dose . 💊

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FKCJS76/?tag=thecatsite

Hey all! I received mine and it's awesome. It does take a little finagling to get the pill exactly where it needs to be for the second cut, but it came out really even with no crumbling. Thumbs up from me! It would be more difficult with a smaller pill because the 2.5 mg amlodipine is basically as small as the part that holds it in place goes.
Sorry I'm late to the thread! Nico was on 1/4 of a 2.5mg Amlodipine as well, I had a similar pill cutter. It was a godsend having one that had a rubber guide in it that held the pill in place as I cut into 4s. 😊 I'm glad you found one that works!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used this new pill cutter on the amlodipine and got clean cuts, both half and quarters! I just need to practice a bit with the 'placement' of the pill, as I did get one-half just a smidge bigger than the other half. I then tried it with her other pills - uh, I think it is too powerful for most; it gave me less accurate cuts. So, I will still have to keep my other pill cutters for less 'mean' pills!!!