A good pill splitter to cut 2.5 mg amlodipine into 4 parts

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 2.5 mg amlodipine pills that need to be split into 4 parts. They are not only pretty small (6mm, which is less than 1/4"), but also hard as rocks and neither of my current pill splitters seem to be capable of cutting them into 2 totally equal parts, much less 4. I can use either of these pill splitters to cut both Felimazole (less than 1/4", coated and rounded) into 4 parts, and ondansetron (into 2 parts) with fairly good accuracy.

I've read some threads where some have used cat nail trimmers to cut small pills, but no way would that work on this pill. I am not thrilled at the prospect of crushing the pill and then splitting the 'dust' into 4 parts. I suppose I could get this compounded to the 0.625mg dose, but I would be willing to bet the pill would end up bigger than the 1/4 of the pill I have. It is already going to be a challenge to get her to take it as it is.

Has anyone found a pill splitter that works well on pills like this one? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just one from Publix pharmacy, which has a sliding guide to 'hold the pill into place' and another from CVS pharmacy, that you place the pill in between rubber sides that hold the pill in place.

I didn't know how to choose one from the internet, and these two have worked fine - until this pill came along.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have this exact same problem with this exact same medication. Following!

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can't see it well in the pics, but there is a sharp blade under the cap.

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use it to get mirtazapine into quarters - I do not know the measurement of the pill, but they are quite small. It also works on enteric coated pills like Felimazole.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also get amlodipine as a transdermal if that would work better in getting to the correct dose. I’m not sure transdermal is as effective for amlodipine, but it was the only option for one of my cats. I have also used the pills and struggled with splitting them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also get amlodipine as a transdermal if that would work better in getting to the correct dose. I’m not sure transdermal is as effective for amlodipine, but it was the only option for one of my cats. I have also used the pills and struggled with splitting them.
I too have heard the transdermal version is not as effective, and generally not recommended. Feeby already gets Mirataz every other day, and while it is feasible to do two different transdermal meds, I was hoping not to go that route. It might be something to consider down the road when we get her BP down to a reasonable rate.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have this exact same problem with this exact same medication. Following!
So far, on the CKD forum, two folks have told me that they use razor blades (like the ones used in box cutters), but I have asked them to let me know how they hold the pill in place. I could not possibly use fingers on that tiny pill and apply a razor blade to it!! Will let you know what they tell me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I too have heard the transdermal version is not as effective, and generally not recommended.
Carleton is on 1/4 tablet of Amlodipine and my vet also said the transdermal form is not as effective. Too bad because I have better luck medicating him with a transdermal gel. Just as you mentioned, the pill is not easy to split especially since it's not scored. However, I have a somewhat older pill splitter that works fairly well. Not sure where I got it but it could have been CVS, Walgreens or the pharmacy at one of the major chain grocery stores in our area. I'm going to take a picture of it for you.

Closed
IMG_1824.jpeg
Open
IMG_1823.jpeg

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have heard the transdermal version is not as effective, and generally not recommended. Feeby already gets Mirataz every other day, and while it is feasible to do two different transdermal meds, I was hoping not to go that route. It might be something to consider down the road when we get her BP down to a reasonable rate.
I was giving twice daily transdermal methimazole along with the transdermal amlodipine, so both ears had to be cleaned daily and I had to keep a rotation chart. So I totally get not wanting to give two transdermal meds!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
neely neely - I think you are just better at getting the pills split than I am!!! I have one that looks nearly the same but the sides are rubber so while that helps to 'mold' around the pill, it also allows for a bit of spreading for larger pills - which is definitely not needed on this pill! So maybe that is the problem. Yours is also older, and I am willing to bet the cutter blade is probably better than 'newer' models, because everything is made cheaper as time passes!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yours is also older, and I am willing to bet the cutter blade is probably better than 'newer' models, because everything is made cheaper as time passes!
I bet you're right, I never thought of that - everything was made better than it is now. If it helps, my vet told me not to worry if some of the quarter tabs are not exactly the same because the cat still gets the correct dose after 4 tabs, if that makes sense, (4 tabs = 1 pill).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it helps, my vet told me not to worry if some of the quarter tabs are not exactly the same because the cat still gets the correct dose after 4 tabs, if that makes sense, (4 tabs = 1 pill).
It just seems so 'up and down' but I guess given the dose it isn't a big deal if it is off a bit.

Although, I am dealing with this so poorly, I just realized she has now taken a total of one pill in three days' time, not four. I don't even really know how I did that. :eek: I gotta 'get a grip'!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although, I am dealing with this so poorly, I just realized she has now taken a total of one pill in three days' time, not four. I don't even really know how I did that. :eek: I gotta 'get a grip'!!
Don't feel bad, I have the opposite problem, i.e. I've tried every which way to give Carleton his pill and just when I think I've figured it out I find the 1/4 tablet on the stairs or in another room. The little conniver must hold it in his mouth even after I syringe some water to help him swallow it. He's too darn smart for me. :lol: I just keep telling myself I'm doing the best I can.