A Gentle Giant Named Puppy

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to ask for some prayers and good thoughts for a wonderful dog I met at the vet's yesterday night.

Sunshine had fractured her leg and needed to be sent to the vet immediately. While we were there, 3-4 Indian men came in carrying a HUGE dog. He was a stray mutt, with huge rugged paws, and head bearing proud scars from previous skirmishes. But while the front of him still looked whole and handsome, the area around his butt and hind legs was a bloodied mess.

We had an Indian colleague with us, and she asked the men what happened to the dog in their own language. The men said that the dog was named Puppy, and was a stray who frequented their workplace in an industrial area. They said that a cement mixer had struck him, and from the look of his injuries, it was a hard hit.

The vet came in and did a brief examination. As soon as he lifted the blanket, the full extent of his injuries were clear. There was a large flap of skin which had been ripped from his right thigh area and was just covering loosely. Exposing his flesh was just a matter of lifting that flap of skin. The vet also saw that his testicle had popped right out of his scrotum!

Puppy was really brave. He cried quietly, but took comfort in the arms of the Indian men. Their bond was obvious, and I'm glad he didn't have to bleed to death on the streets alone. Nevertheless, he was in great pain. The vet put the men between a rock and a hard place by offering them two options: An expensive operation which none of them could afford, or to put Puppy to sleep. The men really tried. One of them kept making phone calls, possibly trying to raise money for his surgery, but in the end, they realised that there was no way they could afford that sum and decided to put him to sleep. I wish I had enough savings to sponsor the operation ...

Throughout his ordeal lying on the examination table, Puppy remained very good-natured. He allowed anyone to touch him and pet him, gazing at us with big brown eyes. We stayed with him till the end (after Sunshine had been brought outside so she wouldn't watch) because the men didn't want to watch him go. He had a very peaceful passing, dignified till the end.

Godspeed, big boy!
Rest in Peace

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R.I.P sweet Puppy!

& bless you for staying with him. He knew he was loved & was not alone for those final moments. That is the greatest give you could have given him!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a horrible tragic thing to have happened to him, but i also thank god that those wonderful men tried so hard to do the best for him.

thank you for staying with him and seeing that he crossed the bridge with love and compassion.

RIP big fella, play happily across the bridge.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh what a sad story, poor Puppy
Good on them for trying, and you for helping.

I'm glad he knew he was loved.

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was so sad. I almost cried. D: I'm glad you were with him though. I'd want to be with people if I was in a state like that.
On a lighter note, it reminded me of Jacob from "Twilight". Any of y'all know what I'm talking about?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

I'd like to ask for some prayers and good thoughts for a wonderful dog I met at the vet's yesterday night.

Sunshine had fractured her leg and needed to be sent to the vet immediately. While we were there, 3-4 Indian men came in carrying a HUGE dog. He was a stray mutt, with huge rugged paws, and head bearing proud scars from previous skirmishes. But while the front of him still looked whole and handsome, the area around his butt and hind legs was a bloodied mess.

We had an Indian colleague with us, and she asked the men what happened to the dog in their own language. The men said that the dog was named Puppy, and was a stray who frequented their workplace in an industrial area. They said that a cement mixer had struck him, and from the look of his injuries, it was a hard hit.

The vet came in and did a brief examination. As soon as he lifted the blanket, the full extent of his injuries were clear. There was a large flap of skin which had been ripped from his right thigh area and was just covering loosely. Exposing his flesh was just a matter of lifting that flap of skin. The vet also saw that his testicle had popped right out of his scrotum!

Puppy was really brave. He cried quietly, but took comfort in the arms of the Indian men. Their bond was obvious, and I'm glad he didn't have to bleed to death on the streets alone. Nevertheless, he was in great pain. The vet put the men between a rock and a hard place by offering them two options: An expensive operation which none of them could afford, or to put Puppy to sleep. The men really tried. One of them kept making phone calls, possibly trying to raise money for his surgery, but in the end, they realised that there was no way they could afford that sum and decided to put him to sleep. I wish I had enough savings to sponsor the operation ...

Throughout his ordeal lying on the examination table, Puppy remained very good-natured. He allowed anyone to touch him and pet him, gazing at us with big brown eyes. We stayed with him till the end (after Sunshine had been brought outside so she wouldn't watch) because the men didn't want to watch him go. He had a very peaceful passing, dignified till the end.

Godspeed, big boy!
Rest in Peace
I am so glad that you stayed with Puppy, at least he didn't hafta be all alone and scared. I just bet that Puppy is over at the Bridge playing with my beloved Sambo. He sounds like he was a great dog.