A friend for my shy feral kitten?

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
I am happy to report that my kitten Suki, born feral, is warming up to me. She rubs against me purring a lot, and will come snuggle into my side when I'm laying in bed. That said, she is still very scared of hands. She accepts pets when she's eating and even a little after she's polished off her bowl, and remains purring until she looks back and realizes it is a hand that is touching her. We are still hand feeding and using treats to help her learn positive associations with hands. She is coming around!

BUT I have done a lot of reading and see that it is often beneficial for kittens to be adopted together, or to have a companion to grow up and play with. So I am planning on getting her a friend in the next couple days (we are planning a slow introduction, of course). It has dawned on me that this has a few possible outcomes, one meaning she may not be as interested in creating a bond with me. I've been told kitten I am planning on getting is very social, and a total sweetheart, and he is slightly younger than Suki. As I am planning a slow introduction, I will still be working with Suki on her own for a little bit before the new kitten and her are introduced. I'm wondering your thoughts on this? I have been concerned about Suki feeling lonely, as she was born feral and for the first weeks of her life was used to having companions. Thank you in advance!

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad little Suki is warming up to you. If she is already accepting food from your hand, she will come around on that soon.

Cats do like companions, provided they get along, which is an unknown. Even with slow introductions, they can co-exist together but may not like each other. As long as you're prepared for the range of outcomes (and it sounds like you are) then go for it! You can hope for the best and Suki may end up with a life-long playmate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad little Suki is warming up to you. If she is already accepting food from your hand, she will come around on that soon.

Cats do like companions, provided they get along, which is an unknown. Even with slow introductions, they can co-exist together but may not like each other. As long as you're prepared for the range of outcomes (and it sounds like you are) then go for it! You can hope for the best and Suki may end up with a life-long playmate.
Thank you! Yes I believe I am prepared for this, I learned with Suki that I need to drop any expectations :) I figure that because the plan has always been to get her a playmate at some point, and I've read kittens usually take to each other more easily than older cats, now may be the best time! I am quite excited. I'll be sure to update!

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright here's the current update: I have been slowly introducing the two kittens through scent swapping and eating on either sides of the bedroom door. The last two nights I have slid a pin with Pabu in it into the doorway, but not fully in the room. The first time I did this, Suki investigated Pabu while he was distracted by food. She walked around the pin smelling him and watching. As soon as Pabu was done eating, he went right up to the side of the pin where she was standing, and she started hissing and quietly growling. Eventually she ran back to her bed and watched him some more before we took him out of the room. Last night we tried this again, and Suki went up to the pin again for a few moments, then retreated to her bed to watch him from afar. I'm not sure what to think about her avoidant behavior, I think she is honestly just scared of him. Pabu, on the other hand, isn't scared of anyone or anything. He just wants to go up to her! I'm not sure what to do, if I should continue moving forward, or go back to more scent swapping and such and try introducing them again when Suki calms down more? Any suggestions?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just posting here to let you know I followed you from the other thread where you were posting about Suki and Pabu. I'll preface this by saying I haven't personally introduced cats of any age, but everything I've read says that kitten to kitten introductions are the easiest and quickest.

Hopefully some other members who've introduced kittens will post with advice, however, my first instinct is to suggest letting them both out together in the same room, with human supervision of course, and see what happens. Maybe try enticing them to come close to each other with treats. Or just playing with toys.

How big is the size difference between them? Can you post pics? Though I think the chance Suki actually hurting Pabu is really small.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just posting here to let you know I followed you from the other thread where you were posting about Suki and Pabu. I'll preface this by saying I haven't personally introduced cats of any age, but everything I've read says that kitten to kitten introductions are the easiest and quickest.

Hopefully some other members who've introduced kittens will post with advice, however, my first instinct is to suggest letting them both out together in the same room, with human supervision of course, and see what happens. Maybe try enticing them to come close to each other with treats. Or just playing with toys.

How big is the size difference between them? Can you post pics? Though I think the chance Suki actually hurting Pabu is really small.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite
Okay apologies for poor quality pictures of Suki (she's the black and white kitten), I had to take screenshots from videos of her playing because she doesn't like to sit still for pictures haha! I would say she is at least double Pabu's size, though she was smaller than him when we got her! You really can't tell the size difference here, unfortunatly :(
IMG_8668.PNG
IMG_8653.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... cutie pies. :redheartpump:

You know, even adult cats will rarely harm a young kitten, so I even with the size difference it should be fine. Of course, don't leave them alone together unsupervised until you know they're getting along ok, but I suspect before long you'll see them snuggling and/or playing together.

Just for reference, here's the TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite but, again, I think you'll be fine sooner than you expect.

With all cat introductions, the main things to watch for are a) fur flying, b) blood, and c) one cat seeming scared of the other. Running and hiding, but then quickly coming back again for more fun, is fine.

As for continuing to socialize Suki, here's some TCS articles that might be helpful.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Keep us posted.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG - such cuties. It actually sounds like Suki is, as you said, a little uncertain of Pabu so I would keep letting them see each other (under controlled conditions - gate, etc) and feed/play/give treats when they do. Eventually both should begin to feel that seeing the other is a net positive for them and start to relax and hopefully play with each other!

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... cutie pies. :redheartpump:

You know, even adult cats will rarely harm a young kitten, so I even with the size difference it should be fine. Of course, don't leave them alone together unsupervised until you know they're getting along ok, but I suspect before long you'll see them snuggling and/or playing together.

Just for reference, here's the TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite but, again, I think you'll be fine sooner than you expect.

With all cat introductions, the main things to watch for are a) fur flying, b) blood, and c) one cat seeming scared of the other. Running and hiding, but then quickly coming back again for more fun, is fine.

As for continuing to socialize Suki, here's some TCS articles that might be helpful.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Thank you for these sources! I guess I am just so worried for Suki, I never want to stress her out. She is really starting to come around with me, even lets me pet a couple strokes now. I guess the timing will never be perfect but I'm sure they will end up bonding in time.

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG - such cuties. It actually sounds like Suki is, as you said, a little uncertain of Pabu so I would keep letting them see each other (under controlled conditions - gate, etc) and feed/play/give treats when they do. Eventually both should begin to feel that seeing the other is a net positive for them and start to relax and hopefully play with each other!
Thank you! I do take a lot of pride in having some VERY handsome babies! Yes we will continue with a slow introduction I think. With Suki being so weary, I never want to cause her a great deal of stress. Seeing her so just makes me cry for her! I do think in time they will bond with them being so young. They are both VERY active, too. Suki takes time to show just how active she is, she has to be comfortable first! Thank you for your response :)

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling, my two took a few months before they started warming up to us. I hated seeing them so uncomfortable and scared at first but it was so rewarding when they finally started to relax around us. I think your right and they will relax around each other in time, and realize how luck they are to have found such a good home! IMG_20200926_201617.jpg

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling, my two took a few months before they started warming up to us. I hated seeing them so uncomfortable and scared at first but it was so rewarding when they finally started to relax around us. I think your right and they will relax around each other in time, and realize how luck they are to have found such a good home!View attachment 352878
So i took Suki to the vet yesterday for a wellness check and first round of vaccinations, so after I just let her chill out all night. But we learned something very interesting about Suki at the vet yesterday... She is actually about 6 months old! She is just TINY for her age (a whopping 3.5 pounds) and you can only tell by her teeth, I guess! The vet said "her size lies but her teeth sure don't!" I am puzzled! I am so much more proud of her for the progress she's made, knowing she spent so much time outside before I got her. I am wondering if her age may impact the introduction to her brother, so I will continue to keep things slow and steady to try and ensure a happy bond with her brother. Fingers crossed!

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is already full of surprises :) Good girl for surviving as long as she did. Now she can learn to relax and enjoy her new life. I bet as she relaxes more she will start gobbling up food and her weight gain will accelerate.

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is already full of surprises :) Good girl for surviving as long as she did. Now she can learn to relax and enjoy her new life. I bet as she relaxes more she will start gobbling up food and her weight gain will accelerate.
well here's the thing- I feed her four times a day and she wolfs down each meal! I was even beginning to think I needed to cut portions a little bit, when she lays down she appears a bit chunky. But when the vet told me how old she was, I asked about her weight, because 3.5 pounds at 6 months seems pretty under weight to me. He said that she was a perfect weight for her size, but her size is much smaller than that of most kittens her age. He said it would be good to continue our current schedule and when she goes back in a month for boosters and spay we will see where she's at. Honestly I'm still just so shocked! I'm so interested to see how big she gets, or if she will remain to be a somewhat small cat. She really is full of surprises!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But we learned something very interesting about Suki at the vet yesterday... She is actually about 6 months old! She is just TINY for her age
Wow! That must have been quite a surprise! And it could change the timeline for introducing her to Pabu, and socializing with her human family. But I think things will still work out in time.

Since she's older though, do read the How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite article, as there might be helpful tips for you.

What about spaying? Did the vet mention that? At 6 months, Suki should be having her first heat cycle soon.

As for wolfing down her meals, since she was outside for so long, she probably has "stray cat food obsession". She should outgrow that in time. And, of course, with kittens it's okay to feed them as much as they want, as they (even tiny Suki) are still growing.

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! That must have been quite a surprise! And it could change the timeline for introducing her to Pabu, and socializing with her human family. But I think things will still work out in time.

Since she's older though, do read the How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite article, as there might be helpful tips for you.

What about spaying? Did the vet mention that? At 6 months, Suki should be having her first heat cycle soon.

As for wolfing down her meals, since she was outside for so long, she probably has "stray cat food obsession". She should outgrow that in time. And, of course, with kittens it's okay to feed them as much as they want, as they (even tiny Suki) are still growing.
Yes quite the surprise indeed! I am optimistic about the introduction (she ate while his pin was in the doorway, watching him closely-but she still ate which she wouldn't do in his presence the day prior), but yes Suki has an appointment in early november to get spayed! Pabu will be getting neutered as soon as he's able, as well!