A Feline Thanksgiving

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed lately in threads about US Thanksgiving that a lot of people are throwing out the turkey giblets. Usually, I simmer these to make a broth for gravy. Even if you don't do this, the giblets are a Thanksgiving feast for the cats. They love the heart, liver, and gizzard. They will chew on the gizzard forever. :D If you don't cook the giblets like I do, you can cut up the neck in one-inch pieces, and feed it to the cats, bones and all, as well as the other giblets. There's no reason to leave the cats out of the feast. They will love it. And the same goes for the Christmas turkey in the UK, and other countries at celebration times.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We never throw out the giblets. I use giblets in my gravy. We don't give them to the cats, but trust me, they will have plenty of turkey to scarf down. As soon as Tabby starts to sniff the turkey roasting, she parks her butt in the computer room (where the electric roaster is roasting the turkey) and waits for the turkey to finish. She and Mollipop will get as much turkey as they want (they're the only ones who eat it).

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't throw away one bit of a bird carcass until I've boiled alllllll the goodness out into a killer broth.
In fact I'm the annoying scavenger dinner guest who asks for the carcass at whatever feast I'm attending. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too! I make homemade noodles to go in that broth too! My chubby Dutch sits right in front of the oven where the turkey is roasting and sniffs and stares for hours. I boil the neck and gizzard in a little water right at the beginning and use that for broth in my stuffing. Then those get cut up and fed to the cats.