A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all, I just want to share with you guys on my journey or rather my boy's journey on the transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter and I hope that it'll help those that are trying to switch litter and find out more about Tofu Cat Litter. Feel free to ask questions and I hope that I'll be able to answer them.

To make a point on why the switch, I'll be scoring for Clay Litter and Tofu Cat Litter in this format :- Clay Litter : 0. Tofu Cat Litter : 0. Score 1 will be the winner.
I'll run through explaining the process and progress and at the end I'll attach some photos as they are self explanatory.

My boy has been using Bentonite Clumping Litter since the first day he came home when he was around 3 - 4 weeks old. He's now coming to 7 years old.

Bentonite clumping litter is too dusty for him and me. My boy likes to dig and dig with his nose very close to the litter and thus inhale lots of litter dust which I experience while scooping his litter and while pouring in new litter for him and I can see clouds of dust falling from the bag. I have to wear a mask each time I clean his litter box. At times, I find litter dust drying up at his nostrils. That's one of the reason for the switch.

My boy is a corner pee'er and pees a lot each time and almost each time he pees, his hind leg(s) are soaked in the litter and I have to clean his leg(s) and that is when I'm home. Sometimes when I'm not home, he'll leave litter stain around the house and I know that he'll ingest the litter when he grooms/cleans himself after he pees and worse, if his leg(s) was soaked in the pee. And also after he does his business whether pee or poo, litter is tracked all over the place. Another reason for the switch.

I was contemplating a litter change for him but I was afraid that he may reject the new litter and in rebellion (change of behavior), he may pee and poo at other places. So I held on for almost 7 years. And finally, I told myself, it is enough of Clay Litter and it's time to make the change. I bit the bullet and bought Tofu Cat Litter for the transition.

At the beginning of October '22, I started to switch his litter over to Tofu Cat Litter, as Tofu Cat Litter has much much less dust and it's safe if ingested and the clumping is better than clay because my boys pees a lot and always leave a puddle of pee and sometimes his leg(s) get soaked in the pee while peeing.
Of course he was not use to the texture and was feeling weary during the times he needs to do his business because the scent and feel is different form clay litter. He'll go in and jump out several times till he cannot hold on any more, he'll then start to dig cautiously and eventually pee or poo.

I did not do a 100% change of litter. I sprinkled some new litter over the old one and gradually increased the amount day by day and try to get a good mixture of old and new at different level of the old litterbox so that when he digs, he'll feel the Clay Litter.

So each time I clear his pee or poo clump, I clear off a little more of the Clay Litter than usual and top up with the new litter and also added more to where the pee clump was cleared. His Clay Litter is 4 inches high. Gradually the clay litter will become less and the new litter will be more. I left another litterbox filled with 100% Tofu Cat Litter close to his present litterbox just for him to get used to the scent. Also I left his fresh pee in a bag and placed it in the new litterbox so that he can smell his pee and hopefully he'll use the new box he did not. He will just put his head in and smell his pee and walked away.

My boy have been using the old litter box with the mixture of Clay Litter and the Tofu Cat Litter. So far, the tracking is much better though the Clay Litter and Tofu pellets still get stuck in his paws whenever he comes out of the litter box. But it's much much less than before. Even though manufacturers claim that it's 99% dust free and no tracking for the Clay Litter, I think it's not accurate but definitely the Tofu Cat Litter is much much much less dust and much much much much less tracking even though he has not transited over to full Tofu Cat Litter.
Score for tracking and litter dust : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

I bought 3 different brands of Tofu Cat Litter as it's my first time buying them and I don't know what to expect. The first 2 brands I bought was in natural scent and the 3rd brand I bought was Charcoal scent and reason for this scent is to mask off the natural scents of the other 2 brands as they smell sweet and milky even tough it says natural scent.
And also the charcoal one is grayish and looks like the color of the Clay Litter but darker and the other 2 is creamy white in color.
I guess many brands of litter comes scented and unscented and I thought that natural scent is neutral but it smells sweet and milky so I bought the Charcoal scent to musk the milky scent. Some brands even have scents called activated charcoal. The Charcoal Scented still has a scent but not as flowery or milky or fruity but I guess it's better than any of these scents.
Not sure if it's the same as charcoal as different manufacturers may name them differently.

There are many brands out there and as usual, all competing to be the best. I guess it only comes down to whether your cat like using it or not. And to what I see, it is definitely better than clay litter minus the tracking part but much much better in controlling tracking than clay litter as it is in the form of a bigger piece of litter and not small sand like and tracks all over the house and becomes sandy and footprints are all over the place.

So far, I find my floors less dusty after mixing it with the clay litter as much less clay litter is tracking now. Also when I scoop the litter off the litterbox, I find that the litter clumps better and less breakage and fall off as it is now mix with the Tofu litter as compared with no mixture of litter.

All 3 brands comes in different size pellets. The one I bought was 3mm in size and the Charcoal one is 2mm which is thinner and I think it is closer to the Clay Litter when step on although it's in strip form. My boy feels weird stepping onto the new litter. So I'll be ordering more of the 2mm Charcoal scent to mix with the rest and eventually use the Charcoal scent which is smaller in size and I hope it'll be alright for my boy to use.

So far the containment of pee smell is pretty good and not too bad for the poo smell as I left the poo in the litterbox for awhile before I clear the poo. I don't think I smell any anon smell after my boy pee and also during scooping out the pee. One other thing good about this Tofu Cat Litter is it is supposed clump up the pee pretty well and once mixed with water it dissolves and can be flushed through the toilet and they claim that it's safe to ingest.
Score for ammonia and poop smell (odor control) : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

As my boy pees lots, his pee clump is also very big. As compared to Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter, Clay Litter is very heavy and Tofu Cat litter is very light.
Score for pee weight during scooping : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

Each day, the Clay Litter drop to a lower level as it is mixed with The Tofu Cat Litter as the percentage of the Tofu Cat Litter is getting more than the Clay Litter.

Also take note about the size of the pellets as they expand when exposed to urine. I notice the bigger pellets (unscented) swell to a bigger size than the charcoal ones.

For a more expensive litter that does not compromise with health, I think it's ok. My boy has been using clay litter for almost 7 years and it's too dusty for him and I think that's enough for him and it's time to get something more healthy for him as he is getting older and I don't want to have any serious health issues for him.

11 Oct '22 - sprinkle pellet on existing litter
- my boy just sat next to the litterbox staring at the pellets on top of the Clay Litter which is not a usual sight for him.
- did not like the feel of pellets but treading carefully with much complaining and managed to pee and poo.

- 2nd litterbox filled with pellets and corner tucked in with pee clump from current litterbox. Smelled the pee clump but did not use the new box at all.

Everyday filled up old litterbox with Tofu pellets and remove more Clay litter than the usual scooping.

Whenever he needs to use the litterbox, he'll pop in his legs and walked in and out of the litterbox a few times and while digging, still complaining about the feel of litter everyday for a couple of weeks and have too encourage my boy to use litterbox with some coaxing and showed him it’s ok to dig and he went in to dig and pee or poop.
Otherwise, he’ll just sit next to the litterbox and look weary and ponder about going in.

Some 2 weeks later, he complaint less and went in and out less and he went in almost immediately after some coaxing.

The mixture of litter is now more of Tofu Cat Litter than Clay Litter. So he’s actually steeping on the pellets first and still weary as he stepped on it and begin to dig. As he digs, he found the Clay Litter and he keeps on digging but the more he digs, the more pellets fall in as the Tofu Cat litter pellets are very light and eventually he’ll pee on the pellets.

As the clumps are now a mixture of Clay Litter and Tofu pellet litter, the clumps are harder than usual as I clear the pee clump almost immediately as compare to before which I clean his litterbox the next day or end of the day for the Clay Litter to be dryer and more solid for easy scooping but and the litter clump will still fall apart as I scoop.
Score for clump firmness : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

One other good thing is now that my house is less dusty or sandy and much much less clay litter is spewed around even on days that I cannot clean him immediately after he pees. Before, after he pee, the clay litter tracked all over the house and onto the bed. The tofu pellet still tracks but its much much much less than the clay litter and it’s easier to see if they are on the floor. I’m very happy with that.

By 21st Nov, the litter mix is 70% Tofu pellets and 30% Clay Litter. On 25th Nov, litter mix was around 80% Tofu pellets and 20% clay litter. Before transition, his clay litter is 4 inch deep and throughout the transition, combined litter has dropped slightly below 2 inches.

28th Nov, I did a complete change of litter. I sieved out the Tofu Cat Litter from the old litterbox and transferred them over to the 2nd box which contained all Tofu Cat Litter.
Total depth of the Tofu litter now is 3 inches deep.
After I've finished the task of transferring the pellets, my boy immediately went to pee and did not complain at all. He dug his way in and then peed. He usually pees a lot and when using Clay Litter, the Clay Litter cannot absorb his urine fast enough and therefore form a puddle and my boy's leg will be soaked ankle deep each time he pees.
So I let him finish his pee and let him do the covering of his pee without any intervention and I'm very happy and pleased that his leg/s were not soaked in pee at all and he happily covered his pee which he cannot do all the time for the past almost 7 years because I have to catch him and clean him before he could cover up his pee and now I don't have to catch him at all. He looks like a normal and happy cat that he could cover up after doing his business :bliss::banana1::banana2::woohoo:
Score for clumping without ponding : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

The transition took almost 2 months and now I'm very glad that he used it for the very first time with 100% Tofu Cat Litter.
Overall score : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

Although some pee clump were still wet and soft and were stuck on the side walls of the litterbox, wiping them off is a breeze as compared to Clay Litter. Clay Litter is muddy and dirty when soaked with pee and hard to clean off the side walls and bottom of litterbox.
Score for cleaning up : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

It all depends on how much your cat pees. The more they pee, like my boy, the longer it takes for the Tofu Cat Litter to dry up and form into a solid piece of pee clump but it is still manageable even though it is still damp. Also if your cat is not a corner pee'er like my boy, it's even easier to scoop.
Most pellets will be stuck to the pee clump and only a slight amount will fall off due to the scooping. I pick up the smaller pieces with a spoon. Overall, no soiled pellets left as compared to Clay Litter that is too fine to pick up and they get mixed back to the rest of the Clay Litter.
Score for left over soiled litter : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

As for Tofu Cat Litter, I just tilt the litterbox the other way and the clump is exposed and this makes cleaning easy and not for Clay Litter as I have to clear around the pee clump and then scoop and I cannot lift up the litterbox as it is way to heavy.
Score for cleaning up : Clay Litter : 0 - Tofu Cat Litter : 1

I've used up all the bigger pellets as I thought that they may be too big for him to step on and so I bought more smaller pellets to replace the bigger ones but I'll observe and see how he take on the smaller pellets when the bigger ones in the litterbox diminished and will buy according to what my boy prefers.

Below are the photos of the process :

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2966 2.JPG

IMG_2967 2.JPG

IMG_2968 2.JPG

IMG_2969 2.JPG

IMG_2970 2.JPG

IMG_2971 2.JPG

IMG_2972 2.JPG

IMG_2973 2.JPG

IMG_2974 2.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is pretty cool. I haven't heard of tofu litter. I'm currently trying different kinds of litter, and it's been a struggle to find something we all like. I may have missed it but is the tofu litter more lightweight?
I have 2 huge litter boxes for my 3 cats.
Bynx has sinus issues and is an AVID digger so I'm looking for the least dusty litter possible.
Chester makes big pees, so fast absorption and clumping is important.
Not only is Bynx and avid digger but so is Lily so I need a clumping litter that holds it's clumps well when messed with and doesn't just fall apart leaving small bits of used litter mixed throughout.

I have changed one of the litter boxes to pine pellets and I love it. It doesn't track, it has almost zero dust and although not clumping, the pee sawdust that needs to be removed is pretty easy to sift. The smell control is great as well. Problem...Only Lily has taken to it.

I've tried corn based, but the dust is atrocious. I tried walnut, but the clumping is terrible and it's dusty. I'm currently using grass based in my second box, and it's great overall. It does track pretty bad, but if I stay on top of sweeping it's a price to pay for the other good things about it. The clumping is great, but it does stick to the box. It's SUPER low on dust. It's friggin' awesome. Since using it, Bynx's sinuses seem to be in much better shape. Problem...I think lily is allergic to it. She has seasonal allergies and I've concluded that her allergies seem to be connected to grass. I tried it anyway in case real grass and processed grass would make it so it doesn't bother her but she has been sneezing a lot more and has days where she's congested. So now I need to see about finding something else.

Something else I need to get out of litter is a lower weight. We have garbage limits in my city. We are only allowed one garbage bag per week but it also needs to be less than 40lbs. So some litters, when you do a full change out and cleaning would take me over the limits with the amount we have with 3 cats.

Thank for posting this...I'm going to look into the tofu litter...I don't think I've ever seen it when looking before so I'm not sure if I can get it, but we'll see. I may also be in the same predicament as the pine litter due to the pellet shape, but the smaller pellets may work...
My next try was going to be a wheat clumping litter, but IDK if Lily would be allergic to that as well... There was also a pine clumping litter. It was already in the "sawdust" state and clumps rather than pellets that need to be sifted...we'll see.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I may have missed it but is the tofu litter more lightweight?
Yes, it is much much lighter than Clay Litter especially if it's a big clump.

I'm looking for the least dusty litter possible.
As with any litter, there bound to be dust. Yes, Tofu Cat Litter is much much much less dust than Clay Litter and maybe some other kind too as my boy has only used Clay Litter from the beginning and I cannot comment on the others but reading from your comments here about Corn Litter and others comments in other posts to compare, It is less dusty.
As Tofu Cat Litter is also formed from powder, dust is also present but it is not kicked up by my boy and also pouring out from the bag does not have a big cloud of dust flowing out unless maybe the bag is squashed during shipping as most of them come vacuum packed.

I'll update again when I do a litterbox maintenance and see how much dust settles at the bottom.

Chester makes big pees, so fast absorption and clumping is important.
My boy makes big pee too. The Clay Litter he used before could not absorb his big pee fast enough and therefore cause a ponding and they soaked up my boy's legs.
This Tofu Cat Litter expands when comes in contact with liquid and so far since the change, it has no problem with the big pee my boy made. It did not overflow although it pond a little at the top.

so I need a clumping litter that holds it's clumps well when messed with and doesn't just fall apart leaving small bits of used litter mixed throughout.
I think the clumping will be better if your cats are not corner pee'er like my boy. When my boy does big pees, it reaches the bottom and sides of he litterbox but it still clumps up but takes a longer time to dry up and that goes for the Clay Litter too. If he pees in the middle or away from the sides, It's much easier to scoop off as you just lift the litterbox and the clump stays at the same position as compared to Clay Litter, it's too heavy to lift the litterbox and it stains the litterbox.

99% of it will be clumped up and just 1% will drop off and its easy to pick up with a spoon and even if it's mixed up with the rest of the litter later, it's no big issue. If it's a big pee and away from the sides and you have a big scoop, it's no problem scooping as the big clump will not break so easily with a big scoop.

I may also be in the same predicament as the pine litter due to the pellet shape, but the smaller pellets may work...
I don't know about Pine Pellets but I heard that it is sharp.
I'm kind of experimenting with the smaller pellets and I've used up the bigger ones thinking that he may not like the size. But I guess the bigger ones may break under his weight and therefore he may not feel so much of the bigger ones and also if it breaks, the width is still the same except it becomes shorter but still good. As for the thinner ones if they break, it'll be more like much smaller pieces and probably need more to be able to absorb more pee? So far what I'm seeing is the bigger ones that is making up the clump. I've yet to see the smaller ones clump up. I don't know as I'm still experimenting with it.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a fantastic job of documenting the process, thank you for the time and thought that it took to put it all together, and I'm so pleased for you that it works so well for him!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is a fantastic job of documenting the process, thank you for the time and thought that it took to put it all together, and I'm so pleased for you that it works so well for him!
IMG_3262.GIF

I took too long for the change. Should have done it long ago but at least it is better for my boy now.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a very well documented process tabbytom tabbytom :thumbsup:

I've been using the soy based cat litter for years now. I really like it. It's cheap, biodegradable, made from a biproduct so better for the environment and it can be composted.

Smells a lot better not as bad as the clay clumping litter when it's been used too.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's a very well documented process tabbytom tabbytom :thumbsup:

I've been using the soy based cat litter for years now. I really like it. It's cheap, biodegradable, made from a biproduct so better for the environment and it can be composted.

Smells a lot better not as bad as the clay clumping litter when it's been used too.
IMG_3262.GIF

Yea, I was afraid that my boy rejects it and efforts go down the drain. Glad he took it well after some mumblings
IMG_3025.GIF

I flushed the pee and poo clump down the toilet bowl with this set up.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm casually in the market for a different litter. I've used pine in the past, and it ended up being a mess. Urine broke the pellets down into dust. I've also used wheat, and it didn't seem to clump very well.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm casually in the market for a different litter. I've used pine in the past, and it ended up being a mess. Urine broke the pellets down into dust. I've also used wheat, and it didn't seem to clump very well.
My boy has not tried any of the litter you mentioned. He was on Clay litter the very first day and I think it's not good for him and that's why I made the switch for him.

I hope you find the right litter for your cats.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So far, my boy has been peeing in the new litter and today, he made a big pee. I cleared it 45 minutes later and the clump was very big and was quite solid as it was not too near the side walls. I managed to scoop out the whole clump.

After that. I topped up the litterbox with new pellets and my boy started to mumble again IMG_3025.GIF. He sat next to the litterbox and mumble and saying what have you done this time? So he went on for awhile and went in and out a few times but at the end, he managed to poop
no.gif

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I took too long for the change.
But you were there for him during that time previously :) and now, you and he are doing wonderfully! I'm another person who was unfamiliar with tofu litter until just lately, and am darn tempted thanks to your information :thumbsup:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But you were there for him during that time previously :) and now, you and he are doing wonderfully! I'm another person who was unfamiliar with tofu litter until just lately, and am darn tempted thanks to your information :thumbsup:
Yes, I dare not make the move as cats don't like changes and I'm afraid to mess it up but thankfully, the transition got on smoothly.

All along there are all these pellets type of litter and I dare not make the move and I finally take the chance and went on with Tofu Cat Litter after many many many times watching the reviews of users of Tofu Cat Litter for their cats, I took the plunge.

I'm so glad that I made the change. I'm happy and my boy is happy and cleaning the litterbox is a breeze now :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

The aim of this thread is to help and encourage members if they need to make the change as I find the Tofu Cat litter is much much better for both the Hooman's and Kitty's health and also the ease of maintenance.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update

It has been quite awhile since I've posted and today is maintenance day which was long overdue.

My boy started the transition on the 11th October 2022 and it's already March 2023. He's been taking on the new litter pretty well and I think he prefers the thinner ones rather than the thicker ones. I guess the thinner ones feels more like the old Clay Litter when he steps on them and less likely will stick between his toes.

So I finished using the thicker ones and ordered more thinner ones. Supposedly to do litterbox maintenance every month but have been short of time and so I just top up the litter for him.
Well, today, finally I have the time to do it and got it done and time taken for the job was around 45 minutes. Below are the pictorial comments on the process.

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

As for the remarks of non clumped litter to fall off, actual fact is that broken clumped litter will also fall off but is easily picked up with a spoon and also soiled litter are easily identified as they are a little swollen in size due to the absorption of pee and also poop marks on the lighter litter and all the standby litter are all light colored with only two bags of grey ones left.

So clearing of litter clump on a normal day is now a breeze as compared to before when using Bentonite Clay Litter. We are both happy customers :bunnydance:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be curious to know if the tofu litter would work in a litter robot.

Right now, I am using crystal litter and a scoop free automatic box. When I was using other litter, like clay, corn, or pine, she would chew her paws until you could see pink under the white fur. She hasn't had that problem in the crystal litter, but since it doesn't clump I can't use it in a litter robot if I were to get one. Tofu litter sounds like something that might work for her paws.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'd be curious to know if the tofu litter would work in a litter robot.
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question as my boy do not use a litter robot. My guess is that it may work but Tofu Cat Litter is quite brittle and I don't know if it could take the thrashing of the robotic arm and the litter may not last and maintain it's original form.

LAdams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I dare not make the move as cats don't like changes and I'm afraid to mess it up but thankfully, the transition got on smoothly.

All along there are all these pellets type of litter and I dare not make the move and I finally take the chance and went on with Tofu Cat Litter after many many many times watching the reviews of users of Tofu Cat Litter for their cats, I took the plunge.

I'm so glad that I made the change. I'm happy and my boy is happy and cleaning the litterbox is a breeze now :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

The aim of this thread is to help and encourage members if they need to make the change as I find the Tofu Cat litter is much much better for both the Hooman's and Kitty's health and also the ease of maintenance.
Hi I am bringing home a shelter kitten soon and wondered if you would recommend Tofu litter for it.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi I am bringing home a shelter kitten soon and wondered if you would recommend Tofu litter for it.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

There are many brands of Tofu Cat Litter out there and depending on which country you are from and if they are available in you country. If there is, like I mentioned, there are many brands. Some of them are like Bentonite Clay litter that comes in different scents.

I'm not sure if the cat you are bringing home prefers scented or non scented ones as some scents are pretty strong smelling. Also check with the shelter what litter is the kitten using currently and maybe you need to do a transition but I guess you may not if the kitten is fairly young one and the kitten may just go for the Tofu Cat Litter and no need to do any transitions.

Can you do a search for the brands of Tofu Cat Litter in your area and check out the reviews of the brands by users.
Many companies buy wholesale and repack and rebrand them and so basically most of it may come from a few common sources and depending on packaging and branding, the price varies.

I would go for the non scented ones or natural as the scent should smell milky and sweet which is more natural than added fragrance to it and easier on the noses, cats and hoomans. Also go for the bigger pellet form than the small thin ones which I showed in my photos being that I found out the bigger pellets absorb the pee better and clump better than the thin ones. I tried 3 different brands before coming to the decision to use the larger pellet.

Last edited: