A diary on cats - Newspaper article

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this article this morning. The title lured me, I started reading it, and at the beginning it was kind of funny, it looked like a romance going to start.
Then it turned to something unpleasant, at least to me.

All fur one – An Irishwoman’s Diary on cats

This kind of confirmed some opinions I had on Irish people and cats. But I might be wrong, I hope I'm wrong.
What's your opinion about it?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess? I think it was written as a humor column. Not a very good humor column, but I still believe that was the intent.

Does it also say something about the author? Yes, probably. However, I believe it would be a mistake to assume that all Irish people are anti-cat based on this one misguided attempt at humor.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course it isn't wise to tar all Irish people with the same brush based on an article.
But I've been there many amny times on holidays, and the feeling I have had about them and cats isn't far from what I have read in this article.
Cats are very often seen as a nuisance, more often than that they are just kept outside home, to catch mouse and all, never allowed to walk in. Only on one occasion I have seen a cat kept indoors all the time.
Most of people I have met don't care about a cat in distress. I had to face some angry look and disgusted comment when on a few occasions I stopped to feed some hungry ferals. I also received bad comments (and even much worse) when I tried to give help to cats victims or road accidents.
This does not happen with dogs, which are much more highly regarded.

Well, that's my experience up there, and believe me, it really hurts me. I love Ireland and its people, I really do, but their attitude towards cats really gets me.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And yet...My avatar is an old Irish proverb....."Beware of people that dislike cats". So there are at least some smart Irish people who have respect for our furry feline! :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also an Irish legend that says:
"A cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world",
I have it at home

There's another Irish legend that I have also home that says, more or less:
"Respect the cat.
A dog and a cat were guardians at the heaven's gates.
The devil tried to enter heaven disguised as a mouse.
The dog let him pass, the cat slew him.
Respect the cat"

Despite these proverbs and legends, I had to face a different reality over there. Anyway, I hope the article was just ironic and I didn't get it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway, I hope the article was just ironic and I didn't get it.
I hope so too, and I'll admit, I didn't really "get it" either...it was not a well written "article" from someone who was either being "cheeky", bringing out all the stereotypes about cats or they simply don't know cats all together.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely an opinion piece that would appeal to cat-haters and those cat-ignorant although it is patronizing on canines, especially wolves. A headline further down said " Flying in Storm Ciara: Four landing attempts, vomiting passengers, diversion to Germany about 5 hours ago".... pretty much my response to the opinion piece :crazy: